What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Earning huge amounts of gold that are separate from the hunting gold throttle, whilst at the same time being both a) significantly higher than the throttle, and b) able to be acquired in considerably less time/effort than the average person hits the throttle... If that doesn't "cross your mind" as being a bug, then you're pretty damn clueless, and should be thankful that what you got as 'punishment' is all you got.
  • Lyalia said:
    @Siduri I think we were doing it wrong, our generation definitely wasn't close to any of these numbers! D: Certainly not in the stated timeframe, either ._.

...Or maybe we were doing it the intended way, I'm not sure. Nice enough gold anyway, given the fact I'm still not level 80...
    Some people had a whole fleet of Galleys running it. I've donated most of my revenues, personally, so I can't really say I participated in ruining the economy by massively purchasing credits and all, which I'm pleased with. Just means that we need to find other ways to raise funds for city intitiatives.

I'm actually glad we won't be relying on the RNG god of shiptrades anymore for that, because that was a whole lot of stress. But ship trades will need to be looked at again, if the goal was to make the sea a thriving environment again.

No one in their right mind's ever going to make the hemp trade for 50k ever again, given that it involves 3-4 hours of sailing in some cases. So the margin will need to be upped, or shorter routes will need to be, in fact, shorter. More credit trades and the return of crown trades would be, IMHO, more interesting than the current limited gold trades.

• If ya believe it or not isn't a worry to me, really. I came back from a while of being away and all of a sudden trades were epic. I was just happy I wasn't going to have to be poor or fight forever against time to hunt up gold. If sea monster hunting is where I have to go with it then whatever lol
  • I finallyyy found the bug report from way-back.  I missed it on the first run through (thinking it was a lot sooner on the list than 3180).  I was doing blackwave stuff at the time and kind of forgot all about it.

Tbh prolly should have just messaged Makarios/Nicola about it after the blackwave got more chill.  :#
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    edited April 2017
    Trey said:
    Kayeil said:
    It definitely seems like a slap on the wrist as I've heard of harsher punishments being doled out for similar levels of seriousness in bug abuse and gold generation, but has it ever been to this magnitude? I don't know. Might be a business decision at that point. Potential to lose a lot of players depending on how many people were caught up in this. A little surprised credibility wasn't docked.
    I can't remember if you've played long enough to remember the clan dues bug, but yeah, it's been a lot worse than this before.
    If I was around for that one I did not know it was going on and probably not using forums at the time. It's pretty likely I wasn't playing yet, though. 

Edit: And I have no idea what this bug is or what it alludes to. I have heard of an old bug where people could buy some item that said "shark" in it and sell it for gold to a denizen that buys sharks.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• First off for anyone to say that all of the accepts and completes to make that gold was less than 15 minutes is completely idiotic you're not taking into account all the time spent doing the sailing and and whatnot before you even got to the port to do the accept and complete and what about the trade deals where you had to run from one port to the other just to accept and complete somebody is making this out to be like this was an everyday occurrence and these trade deals happen seven days a week every single day that somebody could go in and go and make however much gold running these deals when in fact they were popping up maybe 2 times a week at the most.
  • edited April 2017
     Bottom line is whether it was a bug or not 90% of the people doing this had no idea that it was a bug and we were all doing it under the assumption that it was the right way to do it. It was not right for the game Runners to go in and take any gold away from any character is based on this situation that was apparently reported over a year ago. I know personally I will never put another dime of my real money into a achaea.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Looooool
     It's ok, I can make up the loss.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • It was mostly based around good RNG.

I know for a fact that a certain Cyrenian bought a War galley for 10 million.. and then proceeded to do ship trades for.. 13~ hours and make 10-11 million gold that very same day (or ridiculously close to it).

One one did the trades (usually) where you had to go back-and-forth between one port and another to accept/complete.  It was the accept/complete at the same port that everyone did, and people did it religiously.  If one of those trade days happened, you could not get ANYONE who wanted to do those trades off of their ship for almost any reason.  This was most definitely a bug, and really shouldn't be argued.

In the past 10 days, lets see..

2017/04/23 00:08:38 - X > The harbour of Tasur'ke: Deliver 8 kawhe to Tasur'ke Harbour in return for 50000 gold sovereigns. (personal).
    2017/04/19 00:01:35 - X > The harbour of Tasur'ke: Deliver 8 kawhe to Tasur'ke Harbour in return for 50000 gold sovereigns. (personal).
    2017/04/14 00:00:53 - X > The harbour of Tasur'ke: Deliver 6 marble to Tasur'ke Harbour in return for 65000 gold sovereigns. (personal).

3 days, out of 10, there were cases wherein this bug could be abused.

Don't try to say it was an isolated incident, own up for your bug abuse instead of trying to hide behind petty lies.

As for "i'll never put another dime of my money into achaea!"

lolok.  Ashtan pretty much carries us in terms of buying promotional shit.  Usually.  (@Jhui wya tho)
  • I don't know, I'm not mad, and since they consider it a bug, I'm fine with them confiscating everything that was made that day, though I wish I had those 16 hours of my life back, since I -did- work my ass off all that time. But it's alright.

However, I think the reason many of us went into the camp of thinking it was not a bug, is that given how the profit margin/cargo cost/sailing time ratio was so outlandishly low, none of us thought this was a serious offer, and considered the -had- to be something to it to make it an acceptable deal. That offer will need to be reworked, either by increasing the single-time payout or by actually putting in shorter routes if the admins expect sailors to 1) keep investing in ships, who are multi-million gold sinks, 2) keep those ships running and sailing.

I'm saying this because the last year has seen a massive increase in seafaring activity. Piracy made a jump but was also quelled by the fact that for once, people had a reason to sail out and protect their cargo. The sea was lively, and by all means, it appeared like the admins gamble to revive seafaring had worked. In many people's mind, this just confirmed this was what was intended in the end. We had a golden age of sailing, and if nothing is done to find a middle ground, then I'm genuinely concerned that seafaring will fall back into its old place as an instanced harbour housing jig. And that's not good for the game either.

• who said Isolated? If it was disclosed over a year ago it was not a bug. Also anyone spending hours and hours doing the sailing then they are in no way making over the "gold cap".  I did not ever have any reason to think this was a bug, nor did many I'm sure but when an admin was asked and said it's not a bug? Come on.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.

It's been too long since this had a reason to be used.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I think it is a bug when Makarios said some people figured out how to make over 10 million in a day, which is pretty crazy. Even before the gold cap, I don't think anyone was making that much hunting. Maybe some weren't using it as badly as others, but if it's a bug it makes sense they're taking away from everyone instead of splitting hairs deciding who gets to keep what and who doesn't.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• and another case of your power abuse. make fun of people that support you.  And you guys took away well more than was made on the last 24 hours of deals. But hey it your world right? We just play here.
  • edited April 2017
    Deizei said:
    and another case of your power abuse. make fun of people that support you.  And you guys took away well more than was made on the last 24 hours of deals. But hey it your world right? We just play here.
    Lmao

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Deizei said:
    But hey it your world right? We just play here.
    Well you're not wrong here, at least. :)
  • Just a thought but wouldn't making the cooldown on a personal trade one real hour at least keep the deals appealing enough to still do while making people do other things in the interim? Ship trades having the entire 24 hour cool down ok sure thats no different, Make that personal cooldown one hour you might nut totally destroy anyones desire to still do them.
  • Deizei said:
    who said Isolated? If it was disclosed over a year ago it was not a bug. Also anyone spending hours and hours doing the sailing then they are in no way making over the "gold cap".  I did not ever have any reason to think this was a bug, nor did many I'm sure but when an admin was asked and said it's not a bug? Come on.
    Where was it stated, anywhere a year ago that this wasn't a bug?

Where.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited April 2017
    Some people are making the argument that the reason why they are right to have done all this is because there's no other reason to have so much capacity for cargo. I just want to point out that you're more than welcome to buy extra base cargo and run the trade route for spare cargo which you may then off-load at a later date when another relevant ship trade comes around later in the week. And you may continue to do so for as much spare cargo you have kept in your hold without having to run the same route. 

In the logs listed by Frederich that meant that you only had to spend the one-two hours running the kawhe route with a full hold to complete trades on the 19th and 23rd. (I'm not doing the math)

That is how your time is being saved.

As Regi also said there doesn't seem to be anything stopping you from finding other people willing to accept and complete the trade for you. Because the number of people available to perform such a favour is also limited.

What becomes ridiculous is if you and a friend keep snowballing the trade deal so that you can surpass even the potential earnings that would come from finding more people to accept and complete on your behalf. 

• edited April 2017
    Disclosure of an event does not mean it suddenly loses its bug status.

Admin may have different priorities, need time to look into the event or even need fixes to be escalated and approved before implementation. I dare say that this bug flew under the radar for a year because it would require tweaking of a major system (shiptrade system) compared to tweaking a typo or turning a flag on an item on. A tweak that may need higher up approval to be implemented but fell to the wayside as they made us OP talisman sets.

Two big examples spring to mind such as Sarapis announcing that forms of quick travel could no longer be used to return from the outer islands yet Pierce the Veil continued to do so for around two years until it was recently fixed. Chrono Memory from Depthswalker doing the same. These were exploits being used by people to buy bulk cheap wood and sell it on the mainland. It wasn't until I talked to @Makarios directly about these did he seem to have an 'oh shit, you're right' moment and the bug rectified in less than 24 hours.

A bug is a bug, sometimes they slip to the wayside but they are still a bug. If you see one that is a huge exploit, especially in regarding gold/items/comms/etc., LIKE THIS ONE OBVIOUSLY WAS DESPITE PROTESTATIONS OF NAIVITY, take it straight to them so you and anyone else who independantly stumbles on it aren't punished for using it.
  • Kayeil said:
    Trey said:
    Kayeil said:
    It definitely seems like a slap on the wrist as I've heard of harsher punishments being doled out for similar levels of seriousness in bug abuse and gold generation, but has it ever been to this magnitude? I don't know. Might be a business decision at that point. Potential to lose a lot of players depending on how many people were caught up in this. A little surprised credibility wasn't docked.
    I can't remember if you've played long enough to remember the clan dues bug, but yeah, it's been a lot worse than this before.
    If I was around for that one I did not know it was going on and probably not using forums at the time. It's pretty likely I wasn't playing yet, though. 

Edit: And I have no idea what this bug is or what it alludes to. I have heard of an old bug where people could buy some item that said "shark" in it and sell it for gold to a denizen that buys sharks.
    You set clan dues stupidly high and eventually it would bug out and put dues into huge negatives. When that happened, you 'paid' them and gold appeared in your hands.

It's fixed now, but the only reason they found out is because they bragged and wrecked credit market, not because they reported it iirc.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    So to clarify:

It's still possible to get double cargo, and have a second person Accept and Complete the deal, even if you've already done so?

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Frederich said:
    I finallyyy found the bug report from way-back.  I missed it on the first run through (thinking it was a lot sooner on the list than 3180).  I was doing blackwave stuff at the time and kind of forgot all about it.

Tbh prolly should have just messaged Makarios/Nicola about it after the blackwave got more chill.  :#
    I messaged Makarios about it when I came across it on an alt, a few months ago. Maybe closer to the New Year. I thought it was broken af at the time and it didn't seem right that you could complete so many trades at one time. I also didn't want to be complicit in bug abuse since that character was asked to complete the trades for someone else.

I'm just glad that it's finally been looked it and fixed. 
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Okay, first post - So I am bound to get flamed here.

Leil and Christophe have a windcutter and they are relatively new to seafaring - The Windcutter we've had I think since just after Christmas.    I've scanned through the above comments, but I'll admit there is quite a bit so I've not gone through it -all- however, lets look at the positives as well as the negatives in all of this - The admins need to be careful here not to discourage those, and in fact, try and embrace them a little.

Seafaring took a noticeable jump in activity - It has created more RP out of the piracy element, it seems to have created social groups and it seems to have found what appears to be a relatively nice balance of 'gameplay fun, actual effort and reward' defining reward as being the overall experience to the player.     In all IRE games there are awkward periods of apathy and when something does take player interest (even for the wrong reasons like in this case) then there needs to be a proper look at the mechanics and such things 'positively' continued.

Whilst not directly affected by the penalties it would be fair to say Christophe and Leilanni have been part of this previous to this month the same as many of us have been.    Whilst the rewards have been 'generous' the trades themselves (effort/reward) without the bug would have been frankly poor - you'd be better off hunting probably or going out and gathering primes (both of which usually require less 'concentrated effort' on what you are doing as they are easier to apply levels of automation to).   Sailing is something which for most people I know requires eyes on the screen looking at a  little blue box and I know from my own experience after a few hours you get boss eyed and start making mistakes - but - that is all part of it!   It does, however, require a lot of concentration.

So echoing some of the other sentiments - Keeping boats on the water is good for the whole 'seafaring element' of the game and its been good this last year or two IC.    So whatever the admins decide to do, finding a way to keep boats 'on the water' would be preferable to letting people do 'one run per month for what will end up being a negative gold return on other ways to earn in game'.     This idea that we are all just going to float around building up cargo for just in case is a bit hopeful.    It does need a 'reward/effort' balance true, I accept that - but the mechanic enforced from this month I don't feel achieves that.   Trades requiring multiple ships (multiple captains) or more complex routes where 1 of something requires 3 of this and 5 of that (from completely different ports/areas of the game) would lead to people working together to complete and that can only be a good thing.

Moving on - The response to just start taking stuff off everyone.

Again, I'm less affected by this but I do have sympathies with players who put 12 or 18 hours into something only to then have it all quite ruthlessly took away.   When I came into seafaring we were sort of just told 'this is the way you do it' and in terms of the openness of this the admins have to accept some responsibility that 'whilst they saw this over the last 24 hours' their gold logs must have shown this for.. well.. a very long time.    We can argue in a circle until the end of days about where that line could and should be drawn, but anyone keeping a cursory eye on the game would have seen/noticed what is going on I'd of thought, and if they didn't then the logging systems around seafaring probably need some wider attention too.    When people become used to things being 'the way they are' and when its considered to be implied consent, then its hard to say 'You should have reported this' particularly when it just appears to be the way.   For people who want to chirp in and call BS, when I got into seafaring through one of the naval clans, this was just talked about quite openly .. in game, on channel, and there are a lot of us in that clan.    As I said before, lots of people exploiting auto-hunting, auto harvesting and other things which we all know happens and is (half) against the rules but is sort of done anyway, so its not always 'clear cut' regardless of what people think.

With that in mind given players did make an effort to play the game mainly 'manually' and do something - bug or not - stripping 'everything' made during a period does seem excessive to me.    A fairer compromise, even if the admins just set a gold reward per hour for that period, would have probably been the way I'd of handled it.

• edited April 2017
    TIL:

The sea is eternal.  You can crit it.  But it is invincible. :(

Also;  Greed kills.

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/HpI3pFdu

Fucker did 10k in one god damn hit OW