What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• Ahmet said:
    Only two days too late too.
    Never too late to celebrate the great mans birthday...
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Kresslack said:
    Morthif said:
    if it was anything like the chase I just escaped from poor @Jinsun was likely outnumber 6 to 1
    Not even close. He had two people on his ship, there were two people on the other ship. And he had just finished sinking Serilda, who probably was alone and outnumbered.

Distressing images from the Sea of Terror of the Sefyric 
    Ocean override your senses as they depict the narrow escape from death at sea of 
    the crew of The Howl of the Rose, captained by Serilda, sent below by JPF The 
    Black Wake, captained by Jinsun.
    I wasn't outnumbered, just outbugged. I docked doing hull repairs with deckhand aura, anchor down, no fires, and hull maintenance, and it somehow kept dropping from 25% Hull to zero (and wasn't sinking already).
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    I got to play Madden with @Atalkez and got lucky af
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Got zapped for doing a trade I thought was legit by @Nicola. Now I can't log in ^_^ Funny how just a couple of people were zapped for this, and everyone and their mother have been doing the trade this way for like.. a while.. Someone had even bugged it when it came out but no, zap first and ask questions later, it seems. No messages before the zap, and now no messages about not being able to log back in.. What a fun fucking day.
  • Byakko said:
    Got zapped for doing a trade I thought was legit by @Nicola. Now I can't log in ^_^ Funny how just a couple of people were zapped for this, and everyone and their mother have been doing the trade this way for like.. a while.. Someone had even bugged it when it came out but no, zap first and ask questions later, it seems. No messages before the zap, and now no messages about not being able to log back in.. What a fun fucking day.
    Excerpt from the relevant files about bugs: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!"

• Trey said:
    Byakko said:
    Got zapped for doing a trade I thought was legit by @Nicola. Now I can't log in ^_^ Funny how just a couple of people were zapped for this, and everyone and their mother have been doing the trade this way for like.. a while.. Someone had even bugged it when it came out but no, zap first and ask questions later, it seems. No messages before the zap, and now no messages about not being able to log back in.. What a fun fucking day.
    Excerpt from the relevant files about bugs: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!"
       Seems so.. All of a sudden I can magically log back in now, though I had to change my password. Here I thought since it was a common trade thing, it was "working as intended"...
  • edited April 2017
    Byakko said:
    Trey said:
    Byakko said:
       Seems so.. All of a sudden I can magically log back in now, though I had to change my password. Here I thought since it was a common trade thing, it was "working as intended"...

Turns out I supposedly logged back in to abuse the trade more?? I wasn't even in game.. I requested logs of it from @Nicola so we'll see what's up soon, I'm sure ^_^
  • Byakko said:
    Byakko said:
    Trey said:
    Byakko said:

Turns out I supposedly logged back in to abuse the trade more?? I wasn't even in game.. I requested logs of it from @Nicola so we'll see what's up soon, I'm sure ^_^

ahh.. more turns out.. seems reflexes you made before a bug that go off right after the bug is announced gets you an ip ban. Who knew. (for note, it's wrong to -try- to complete a trade over and over again now, even if your ship is barren of cargo, guys.. be careful!) <3
  • Well then, the message given from @Nicola was that they would be "refunding the costs of cargo and ship trade. So that folks are back at square one as if they completed 1 trade as intended." and as I spent it on lessons, they took away all I'd learned. Then they decided to go ahead and get in my strongbox and take the 60k out of there that wasn't even from the trade route, leaving my strongbox completely empty and me with 3k in my pack. Pretty awesome day!
  • Is this the thing where people were making millions of gold with ship trades? Because that alone seems like an immense bug after they nerfed the hell out of bashing gold
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Don't really see the need for all of the fuss. Even though it went on for about a year, they've declared it was a bug and fixed it. Time to move on.

I was told they were looking to reset gold made from trades for today and set it to one completion. Either way, over the past year that this has apparently been a thing, people have apparently made millions easy. This on top of the fact that they've been making obvious attempts to drain gold from the economy.

So sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

• I just want the gold in my strongbox back, all of that gold was made from hunting on Zanzibaar, instead of ya know.. Lying about getting the 1 completions worth back and instead taking the gold from the route and the gold made anywhere else..
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Wait, are we talking about the whole 'hey come accept this trade deal for me' nonsense?
    Huh. Neat.
  • No, No. If you accept AND complete a trade for someone that is not bug abuse. If you accept the trade and they complete it and you do this repeatedly in the same day that's the bug.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Ahmet said:
    Wait, are we talking about the whole 'hey come accept this trade deal for me' nonsense?
    According to the announce post, the total amount of gold amassed was to the tune of 40 million (from a 50k gold trade and the 5cr bound trade), no amount of 'hey come accept this trade deal for me' would have done that sort of damage since the number of players are finite and small. Whatever was done was a blatant exploit that was very obviously wrong to anyone who has even a smidge of common sense.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I honestly had no idea this was going on. I always assumed ship trades worked exactly as the way the admins made them start working today. I had often wondered why people always made such a fuss about ship trades being so lucrative (especially the gold ones) because I assumed it just wasn't worth the time investment when you factored in cargo and docking costs. Kind of blown away by the whole ordeal. I think Skye is right, if I had been involved I'd just be grateful I didn't get stuck with a shrubbing instead.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Just throwing this out there, but Frederich reported this about a year ago and never got a response. Not saying this justifies bug exploiting if people intentionally knew, but I can certainly see how something like this going on for that long can give the impression that, while it may be too good to be true, maybe that's just the way it is.

When I brought this up, I was told that no such bug ever existed, except it apparently did:

You read what is written on a letter of pale vellum:
    *******************************[ Bug Details
    ]*******************************
    Bug ID: 3180
    Category: Unassigned               Status: Untested
    Report Text:
    SHIP TRADE DEALS: Personal trades are weird. If one person accepts it,
    ANYONE can complete it. However the person that accepted it can CONTINUE
    to accept it, because they have not completed it, and therefore, are
    continuously able to accept. It's a bit of an oversight that can be
    fixed by simply having it check whenever a person ACCEPTS the trade
    deal, rather than completing it. So if Person A accepts, they no longer
    can accept any personal trade deals. However they CAN complete any trade
    deals. Person B can complete any trade deal, such as the one Person A
    just accepted, and then they can accept their own (and therein everyone
    is counted as being 'completed'.)
    Report Appends:
    Solution Text:

• I mean, if people were abusing this bug well before it got caught and neutered, you are part of a massive problem. Don't say it 'seemed ok', don't do it and ISSUE ME. Don't stuff over everyone else because you are a selfish cumwaffle and "needs that phat gold yo". Doing it once is just as guilty as doing it a thousand times. It's not rocket surgery
    I just feel bad because I feel like some newer players probably got caught up in this and were taught to do the trades this way without ever thinking twice about it because it's the only way they've known seafaring.

• edited April 2017
    @Siduri I think we were doing it wrong, our generation definitely wasn't close to any of these numbers! D: Certainly not in the stated timeframe, either ._.

...Or maybe we were doing it the intended way, I'm not sure. Nice enough gold anyway, given the fact I'm still not level 80...
  • Kayeil said:
    I just feel bad because I feel like some newer players probably got caught up in this and were taught to do the trades this way without ever thinking twice about it because it's the only way they've known seafaring.

I figured it was a new way to do trades so people could afford to buy credits/do more stuff without -having- to hunt, what with rp being a thing.. The thought of it being some kind of bug never crossed my mind till zappage ^^;
  • Trey said:
    Byakko said:

It definitely seems like a slap on the wrist as I've heard of harsher punishments being doled out for similar levels of seriousness in bug abuse and gold generation, but has it ever been to this magnitude? I don't know. Might be a business decision at that point. Potential to lose a lot of players depending on how many people were caught up in this. A little surprised credibility wasn't docked.

• Kayeil said:
    It definitely seems like a slap on the wrist as I've heard of harsher punishments being doled out for similar levels of seriousness in bug abuse and gold generation, but has it ever been to this magnitude? I don't know. Might be a business decision at that point. Potential to lose a lot of players depending on how many people were caught up in this. A little surprised credibility wasn't docked.
    I can't remember if you've played long enough to remember the clan dues bug, but yeah, it's been a lot worse than this before.