The Big Ship Thread

I know there have been other threads about Ships, but not one I started, and thus this one is superior. :p

It's not right around the corner, but the time when we're going to be able to have a comprehensive look at the ship system is at least visible on the horizon. Frankly, the existing one feels a bit clunky in places and in dire need of improvement in others. Overall, it needs to be more accessible to a wider segment of Achaeans (it's a major system, and is not used enough given the amount of work that went into it and the potential it has), and probably needs a whole slew of quality of life improvements. 

We haven't really taken a hard look at the system and started diving into details on what to change, but we're open to changing as much of it as is needed. If the conclusion we come to is "redo the whole damn thing" then that's what we'll do, but I suspect we don't need to get that radical.

So what are the things you dislike about ships and think should be changed or removed? What are things that you'd love to see added to the ship system? If you think it needs to be fundamentally, structurally overhauled, explain why and tell us what you'd do instead.

Comments

• edited July 2014

I'll point out the obvious upside which is also a considerable flaw to the system.

Upside:  People buy ships to AFK (and avoid conflict) on them and store items and use them as a method to shipreturn to important areas not easily accessible. 

Downside: This leads to the ships never leaving the harbour.

No solutions, but pointing out the most obvious reasons for buying and using them.

• Semi-related: A credit/crown artefact steam boiler that can be used to speed up the boat would be kind of neat, dumping coal in to keep the burn going. Maybe 15 seconds of boost per 1 coal?. Nothing like the speed of a Seastrider under a huge wind, but something to make sailing against the wind a little less painful I think would be reasonable. @Kinilan would probably be the best person to chime in about the specific speed, if he even thinks it'd be a good idea.

• edited July 2014
  • As for ship missions, maybe a system where on a random timer 1-2 times a day has a crew member send a tell to the active captain of their particular ship telling them of word going around of a cache buried on a beach somewhere, or the location of an NPC ship hauling valuable cargo that would sell for a good price at X harbor, or an NPC pirate vessel that could be ambushed to claim a bounty on + a good XP reward for the shipmates, or something. A dynamic encounter style that sends people racing to the same approximate location.

• Totally agreed that things that force more ship competition would be great. Not enough multiple ships vs. multiple ships in sea battles.

One of the things I definitely want to look at is the display of information on the ocean map itself and finding ways to give more info-at-a-glance.

• Sarapis said:
    @Jhui Yeah, I can pretty much guarantee that ensuring that you can't safely sit on a ship in a harbor will be on the to-do list. 

I hope this isn't meaning something like what @Taraus constantly asks for is being implemented. (A way to pull ships in harbour out) Or, at the very least, it isn't implemented to be possible when nobody is on board the ship. Only reason I say this is that it's going to suck for a lot of people if they log off one day and come back the next to their ship sunk because they didn't pay their 'protection fee' to certain cities/orgs.

• StrataStrata United States of Derp

Ship warfare is nice and all, but I just don't see it being that awesome without the ability to raid another city's harbor and destroy their harbor+sink all their ships. This solves the "people bitching out on ships" problem quite nicely.

• Draqoom said:
    Sarapis said:
    @Jhui Yeah, I can pretty much guarantee that ensuring that you can't safely sit on a ship in a harbor will be on the to-do list. 

I hope this isn't meaning something like what @Taraus constantly asks for is being implemented. (A way to pull ships in harbour out) Or, at the very least, it isn't implemented to be possible when nobody is on board the ship. Only reason I say this is that it's going to suck for a lot of people if they log off one day and come back the next to their ship sunk because they didn't pay their 'protection fee' to certain cities/orgs.

It'd be more about pulling the players on the ship off, not the ships out of the harbor.

• Shirszae said:

My only real desire is to see upcoming reworks balanced in a way that neither faction feels specially favored over the other. If you make it so that people are afraid to even step in on a boat, then you won't accomplish your goal of making the system more widely used, and you won't see more ships on the water. 

Just something to think about. 

Using ships as safe places in a harbor isn't using ships at all as far as I'm concerned. It's basically taking advantage of a loophole that has nothing to do with ships other than that the loophole happens to be in that system.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Sarapis said:
    Shirszae said:

My only real desire is to see upcoming reworks balanced in a way that neither faction feels specially favored over the other. If you make it so that people are afraid to even step in on a boat, then you won't accomplish your goal of making the system more widely used, and you won't see more ships on the water. 

Just something to think about. 

Using ships as safe places in a harbor isn't using ships at all as far as I'm concerned. It's basically taking advantage of a loophole that has nothing to do with ships other than that the loophole happens to be in that system.

As I said, its just something to think about in general. The example given is just what was on the top of my head at the moment. But too much danger and too little ways to avoid that danger will see the system in no better state than it is now.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited July 2014

I uhh, will leave the intricacies to the rest of you at the moment. However! I have one big suggestion - ship vs ship ramming. Please. Pleeeeeeease make it a thing. Situational or not I think it'd be wholly awesome to last-ditch effort take down someone, or just plain add to the humiliation of things to get ram killed by an unarmed cutter that snuck in during a fight.

• @Shirszae Yeah, definitely agree with that in general. 

• 1) Barrier of entry is way too high.  Why spend so much development time on a huge feature and then bar a lot of the playerbase from entry?  Create more ship types, like tiny rowboats or whatever so John Midbie and his buddy can run around on the ocean.  You can leave the massive warboats as expensive options, maintaining the prestige & goldsink factor without making the sea a boring place.

2) Feels weird as hell to be able to walk to somewhere 10x faster than you can sail there.  Not sure how tractable that problem is, though, because it's mostly a result of how blindingly fast normal Achaean movement is.

3) Wavecall is stupid.  You can teleport a ridiculously long range, making it impossible to chase without the aggressor having a similar amount of wavecalls available.  Furthermore, the aggressor has to guess at which direction the victim wavecalled each time as they can go beyond vision range.  Why is there such insane teleportation available when the entire premise of ship combat is careful positioning?  Should be like three squares max.

4) If you add incentives to be in certain locations at certain times, it will help fix a large part of the problem especially if you tackle 1) as well.  The ocean is vast, vision range is small, and we have no tools to divine where other ships are.  Ship trades were a good step in the right direction, but obviously not enough.

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind

I think the core of the ship system itself is solid (basic functionality and operation), it's only peripherals that need to be looked at/reworked.

Somewhat related to Trey's suggestion of a method of increasing speed, I've always thought it would be cool to incorporate an actual rowing command somewhere in the seafaring skillset to do just that - allow for a player crew that will nominally increase speed based on how many are rowing - which also gives another tangible benefit and reason to have more of a crew onboard.

And handling ship AFKing is tricky. Its a hugely inconvenient issue (also abused), given that it does provide an impenetrable fortress of sorts - however, the method of ensuring it isn't being abused, I'd think, would need to be addressed so that any vulnerability a in harbour became susceptible to would be done WHILE someone was actually on board.

Off the top of my head: put a skill somewhere in seafaring that'll allow you to infiltrate/weasel your way onto a ship in harbour; climb over the side, sneak up the gangplank, whatever - and create a new shipboard denizen (a guard of sorts) who sends a shipwide announcement that someone (without boarding permissions) has boarded; those aboard will be alerted to the intruder, and have the ability and opportunity to handle it accordingly.
    (The only time I've ever asked for a ship to be forcibly removed from harbour was during the recent hide-on-a-ship-with-the-facet fiasco, and that was tongue in cheek!)

More sea creatures, more Kashari threats, more random events actually -out at sea-, more reason to get people out there on the ocean and actually sailing.

Wavecall is bullshit.

I'm curious what more information (regarding the ocean map and at a glance) you're talking about expanding?

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods

Some of the changes that are definitely on my list:

• Better ways to see and identify other ships on the wilderness map.
    • Changing the way all weapon targeting/usage works.
    • More dynamic encounters on the seas.

I guess another important bit of data that we'd like to know is what aspects of ships/seafaring do you use most? What abilities don't you use? What abilities are generally a pain to use (and why)?

• I have felt completely locked out of this system (including island exploration/questing/bashing) because of the learning curve, the burdens of travel time, not being able to qq instantly, and especially the gold/credit investment required. Across all my characters ever I have seen most islands that you need to sail to no more than a dozen times. I have not even seriously tried to figure out the major island quests (save Clockwork, which is pretty quick and I know by memory) because it isn't something that you can do for a little bit and go do something else if you get bored.

I don't particularly care about ships themselves so much as the islands with great content that are made inaccessible to me by the ship system.

• Tecton said:

I guess another important bit of data that we'd like to know is what aspects of ships/seafaring do you use most? What abilities don't you use? What abilities are generally a pain to use (and why)?

All basic seafaring abilities except deepseafishing. Cooking, Fireweapon, Status, Mast, Shipscan, Shipmeld, Shipcloak, Shipwarning, Wavecall (to counter all those other sons of bitches with wavecall), Command, Fleetsense, Sailsgrid, Hullgrid, Rainstorm, Windboost, Shiled, Scythe. I have but never use keelhaul, commscreen and spyglass.

Through crewmembers I make use of Hullmaintenance, Sailmaintenance, Salvageops, Forceboarding, Grappling, Weaponmaintenance, Ammoenhance. Weaponaiming, Helm, Setadygoing, stationhold, Evasives, Jink, Emergencies. Weaponenhancement I've used but  it's been setup there is no need for it any more everything else I've never needed or almost never used.

• Trey said:

Semi-related: A credit/crown artefact steam boiler that can be used to speed up the boat would be kind of neat, dumping coal in to keep the burn going. Maybe 15 seconds of boost per 1 coal?. Nothing like the speed of a Seastrider under a huge wind, but something to make sailing against the wind a little less painful I think would be reasonable. @Kinilan would probably be the best person to chime in about the specific speed, if he even thinks it'd be a good idea.

As much as I hate being becalmed or having to sail into the wind or tacking with bad winds something you have to BUY I dislike. Any speed boost option would very much be something you'd NEED for ship combat otherwise your target will just sail away and right now ship combat is something that isn't pay to win, Unlike our regular PvP. It's certainly pay gated to a huge degree but once you get set up someone with a level 3 ballista isn't going to pick you off from the other side of the ocean.

That said there is certainly room for a speed increse from rowing or sails or both. How the winds are set up could also be looked at. Their direction is static within given lattitudes and that combined with island/harbour position and the route set by terrible terrible chops mazes forces you to in some instances sail right into the wind. Like when you sail towards Meropis. And the need to use a resource like coal, or something else unique to the speed boosty thing would be interesting. Something like 5 extra knots could be manageable without being overpowered. Anything faster would make escaping even easier because speed lowers weapon accuracy.

• Tecton said:

Some of the changes that are definitely on my list:

• Better ways to see and identify other ships on the wilderness map.
    • Changing the way all weapon targeting/usage works.
    • More dynamic encounters on the seas.

Top abilities that I use most - Windboost first and foremost on my list of what's used regularly. The best really. Since I agree with wavecall being a bit poor I'd put up the option of upping boosting and just doing away with wavecall, or maybe make wavecall a quick way to change headings? Something more for short distance tactical options than a quick escape? Cloaking would be next up. Very useful with interesting dynamics given flares. Haven't been in combat enough to go into specifics. Cooking, shipscan, shipwarning, etch, keelhaul would be next down the line though getting into more obvious abilities.

For my ship use: mostly fishing, exploring, trading, and very soon forging (so please make whatever afk detector not kick me for that please?) if that's what you were asking.

What I don't use, or don't plan to:
    =Bearings - while I like the idea of requiring maps, they're a bit of a pain to acquire/create and it's easier and more fun to just explore and memorize. So for anyone who isn't just lazy it's a tad useless.
    =Spyglass - Unless I'm missing something, it just doesn't seem that useful.
    =Barriers - AP weapons can't really out-damage adventurers from my experience, and boarded, I think it better not to interfere with the combatant's work (or waste the figurehead power on it). Not when things such as ship momentum and dousing fires (I.E. rainstorm) are a higher priority.
    =Deepseadiving - Not really worth the cost of the diving bell IMO. Why? Because 1. it's hard to skill for the use of a leadline if you're specializing for more solo captaining, and 2. the experience and gold tends to be less worth it than just hunting or fishing.

Hope that helps

• edited July 2014

It's interesting that no one on Kinilan's side wants to be captain.  On the white side, people are willing to be captain (when we leave the harbour doncha know), but the bigger problem is that their SPPs are usually stacked in favor of sailing as a lone captain.  I have someone even less experienced than I am (no offense) "captaining" my boat most of the time because I know that most people have their SPPs configured that way, so I reconfigured mine in the interest of having someone who could actually fire a weapon accurately, or jink (I also wanted to see what it was like to have something other than a high command and watch SPP ranking, which is what almost everyone seems to have).  

What "captain" really means on an Achaean ship could use a look (especially if you want to convince people that filling other crew positions is desirable).  Besides so many people specializing in command (and usually watch) at the expense of other things in the interest of sailing alone, there's also an assumption that the "captain" is running everything while the rest of the crew are just minions.  Since the word probably isn't going to go away, you might even consider greatly weakening the affinity of the captain position with the command skills (and call the command skills something else).  Make it appealing for the "captain" to simply be whoever is actually the most competent sailor (or if you're all good, it may not matter too much).  Maybe make the captain position have the most affinity with things that are SA related (like shipwarning and anticipate).  

Also helm not being able to see the ship prompt and detailed bearings makes me rage.  It's worse if I don't have Captain's privs (so I can at least see ship info).  

EDIT:  Spyglass doesn't seem to have all of its advertised functionality, but I do find it useful to ensure I'm not trying to duck into a full harbour.  

• edited July 2014

There was a recent thread that summed up even the most enthusiastic non-com's feelings about pirates/ocean conflict in general.  In short, most of us are very conflicted as to how much it's exciting, and how much it's a royal pain in the ass.  We contemplate this matter from the harbour, mostly.  

As for the harbour thing, many people, including me, like the security a docked ship can offer (and it wasn't cheap).  It's quite superior to just about anything on land if you're say, playing with your triggers.  Also, when I'm checking my ships, I spend a fair bit of time just looking things over.  That's where even someone like me would end up saying "fuck it" if some of the best combatants in the game could try to shimmy on board while I'm dinking about with the strongbox, or my map desk.

Of course admin will ultimately do what they're going to do, but it's probably too late to roll that one back without some serious non-com credit whore backlash.  I have mixed feelings.  I don't store anything on my ship so no loss to me there, etc...