Monk PvP help

I am a tri-trans monk (resto in survival) that -loves- arena combat, but there are a few things I have trouble with.

1. People that shield a lot. Being a troll, I don't have a lot intelligence so when people shield against me, I barely have any kaido for a choke and my mind crush doesn't do crapall damage. I haven't used Telepathy much so I'm not sure how I could effectively use anything else in 1vs1.

2. Serpents. I'm pretty much venom locked before I can even prep legs. Is this because the server-side curing is bad? Or am I just going against the odd hyperspeed dirk serpents?

3. Sylvans. Spammable 1k lashes that only generate 3-6 kai are very hard to heal through. :\ Don't get enough kai for a kaiheal, and the damage feels too heavy to survive long enough to prep.

Meh. Halp. :c

Comments

• edited April 2014
    1) Just slow prep them.  Shield hurts their offense way more than yours.  Use the time to heal, mind lock (when you get it), or just shield yourself, forcing them to strip it when they want to continue, giving you a free combo.

2) Just shield a lot.  The age of the 18 year old Thoth's Fang serpents is upon us.  Rebounding is pretty safe against serpents.  Shield on Scytherus or snap = win.  Accept the fact that you have to play the game with metawake up 100% of the time you're not on a guard-stack, until Backstab speed gets fixed.

3) Sylvans = don't fight them.  It's an unwinnable fight unless they make some pretty egregious play errors.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Can't help you with #1

#2 - You might want to take a look at how your herb priorities are set up if you're using server-side curing. As for odd hyperspeed dirk serpents - shield is your friend.

#3 - Sylvan damage is on hulk mode right now. Will be fixed hopefully soon.
  • Ernam said:
    1) Just slow prep them.  Shield hurts their offense way more than yours.  Use the time to heal, mind lock (when you get it), or just shield yourself, forcing them to strip it when they want to continue, giving you a free combo.

2) Just shield a lot.  The age of the 18 year old Thoth's Fang serpents is upon us.  Rebounding is pretty safe against serpents.  Shield on Scytherus or snap = win.  Accept the fact that you have to play the game with metawake up 100% of the time you're not on a guard-stack, until Backstab speed gets fixed.

3) Sylvans = don't fight them.  It's an unwinnable fight unless they make some pretty egregious play errors.
    I'm bad at effectively using telepathy atm. I only have lock, batter, crush, print and radiance alias'd at the moment. The specific serpent I was going against was hypnotizing me to axekick him, doing nothing and taking me off balance for 6 seconds. Also he flays my shield near instantly. And yeah, I have metawake turned off cause of the high mana drain. But I guess being awake is more important than healing against serpents with recklessness. And yeah, that lash damage is way too high.
  • Forcing Axekick doesn't work if you're off balance, which you should be, permanently, in a fight.

Flay is 2-3 seconds, so hardly instant.  Used with rebounding, it's more than enough to slow down doublestab affliction rate, even with Thoth's.

Remember that you always have kai cripple up your sleeve if things get ugly.

Lastly, just practice more.  You have to die 1000 times to learn not how to die.
  • I always tend to mind batter when opponents shield, simply because the possibility to get a secrets proc, or if they lyre instead of shield, any emote will drop the lyre. 

It may not be within your reach currently, but in the future getting a hold of a bow and meteors might help you out too with shields. When they shield, throw a meteor up. They'll probably unshield before the meteor takes it from them, but then you have about 800 damage on top of your regular combo to help you win. This can also be highly useful if you have their legs prepped.

Just remember that kai cripple won't drop shield, so don't waste the kai trying. Use Kai Cripple to get out of crappy situations, or to pull tree tattoo from your opponent for your kill setup.

Save your willpower by not trying to hold a mind lock through your whole fight. Be strategic with your mind locks to help you win. It's been said before, but i'll say it again anyways. Being good at 1v1 isn't just about knowing your class, but more importantly, knowing how to survive/kill every other class.

(Don't spend your time prone against a BM kai choking, effectively staying off eq so they can bladetwist as they please - @Caladbolg :D)
  • Radiance ftw :)
  • One of the most important things to understand as someone learning combat is that it takes a long time. You will die. A lot. But everything before you has gone through the same thing.

You're gonna get frustrated because you can't beat that one person who is 85% your might.

But then one day you're gonna beat them and it's an amazing feeling.

For the things you referenced:

1. Don't worry about people shielding. Your main goal is to bring your opponents legs (and arms, for some classes and situations) to one punch from breaking, and then sweepkick and break both legs in one combo. Them shielding increases the time it takes to do that, but it won't stop you.

2. The server-side curing is not 100% effective, but you are able to change the order it cures in. See Nemutaur's thread for great information on how to tweak it. Until then, every time a serpent snaps you shield OR pause your curing and put up immunity (it's in kaido, a really fun but VERY situational ability).

3. Sylvan damage sucks right now, and they don't give that much kai. They are also tanky so a standard sweepkick/break both legs/two backbreakers won't kill them. You're going to need torso damage on them (it increases the damage backbreaker does to someone) to get any kills.

Also remember that without arties you are very rarely going to beat people with healing arties as a monk. It's just the way it is.

Good luck!

• Cooper said:

Also remember that without arties you are very rarely going to beat people with healing arties as a monk. It's just the way it is.

Good luck!

?

• @Udyr facekeyboard. Will win everytime.

- 2014/05/13 03:37:22 - Jhui dies gasping for breath, asphyxiated by the power of Hanley Silverstorm's kai.

SerpentKai Go!

• Hanley said:
    @Udyr facekeyboard. Will win everytime.
    So in this day and age, it would seem that Monks are getting the old Sylvan treatment I was complaining about. Lololol.