Moods - Nice Addition or Poor Implementation?

13»

Comments

• If you aren't the Shadow Matrix in the Shadowsnakes you can gtfo my mood >:[
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• @Jarrod‌ lucky I bought lyre and RoF intead.
    No wonder you talked me out of the mood, sneaky.

Ruined my chat box though, -10

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • If you make your mood sad and cut your wrists over empty vials it's pretty cool. @Silas says it's annoying but he just doesn't understand me.

• My feelings are that, for a game so heavily dedicated to roleplay, a Serpent or Runewarden able to do elemental moods seems... off. What's the reason behind it? What's the force, the cause for this level of elemental display?

The "normal" moods seem fine, and the Dragon ones obviously have a roleplay basis. The other ones... I don't know. They feel jarringly out of place.
  • money
  • edited April 2014
    I would like if there was more of an explanation for the elemental/shadow moods. They should come with some sort of item that has to be in your inventory to use the mood, just some trinket to give an obvious source of the effect/power. As it is, the best generally-applicable explanation (certain people have access to better explanations, like being a magi) is "I just learned how to do this", which is pretty bland and out of place.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I honestly don't think its any worse than the "I bought this" for most/all non-customized arties 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited April 2014
    I'd just prefer "I bought this powerful artefact" over "I paid to learn how to do this on my own", maybe because even the most basic elementalism has always been something only those of the right class can learn. Just giving some useless resetting item along with the mood, even if you don't actually require it in your inventory, would solve the problem nicely.
  • Sena said:
    I would like if there was more of an explanation for the elemental/shadow moods. They should come with some sort of item that has to be in your inventory to use the mood, just some trinket to give an obvious source of the effect/power. As it is, the best generally-applicable explanation (certain people have access to better explanations, like being a magi) is "I just learned how to do this", which is pretty bland and out of place.
    Diminishes the cool factor for people who have legitimate reasons for having the aura, and I'm not sure I agree that it's any better for people who don't have an especially strong reason. It also limits the roleplay potential, which, given that roleplay is the entire point of moods, isn't something that should be done lightly.

Although the fact they can be removed is pretty cool, I coincidentally have the same issue with blademaster bands. Why can't my sword just be enchanted with fire? Why's there got to be a weird alien band thing that cannot ever be customized? It's kind of meh.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited April 2014
    Shadows darken the edges of your vision as Daeir's words weave into your mind, "Brother, you have 
    access to [redacted], yes?"

You tell Apostle Daeir Wintermourne, Voice of the Fallen, "Who are you, foul creature?"
    You tell Apostle Daeir Wintermourne, Voice of the Fallen, "And what have you done with Daeir 
    Wintermourne?"
    I do agree with @Sena that there should be some explanation as to why people suddenly have magical shadow voices which make you dizzy or darken your vision or somehow lash out and electrocute you through the void between your minds. 

Barring that, how about you roleplay it out like a normal person.

edit: spelling

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • Sena said:
    I'd just prefer "I bought this powerful artefact" over "I paid to learn how to do this on my own", maybe because even the most basic elementalism has always been something only those of the right class can learn. Just giving some useless resetting item along with the mood, even if you don't actually require it in your inventory, would solve the problem nicely.
    But that's exactly what they did. They bought a mood cache from the Shop of Wonders that empowers their character the same way that lessons empower a character. Creating a literally pointless item to sit in your inventory creates more work to make moods, pointlessly bloats the database, and pointlessly spams you when you look at your inventory. I can't see any reason to do that any more than I think classes need some kind of token physical item representing each ability they bought with lessons. 
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited April 2014
    I was a huge fan of poses in Imperian and Lusternia. But I hate moods in Achaea. Intensely. The basic ones are too basic. I can't find any to suit my characters' dispositions. The mood caches I can purchase (of course there would be something you can purchase) are equally awful because they don't make any sense to me at all (why would I suddenly be able to be so expressive with my mood let alone with the intensity that many of the moods suggest?). Plus for people who are new to roleplaying games I think it creates a false sense of what character development entails.

Who me? I'm determined. What, you can't tell? Well, my mood says so!
  • Honestly, my biggest problem with moods is how much of a pain it is to actually use them. If I want to say one specific thing in a certain mood, but not appear that way in the room and not show the adopt message, I need to turn two settings off, turn the mood on, say it, and then turn the mood off.

It's like the serpent weapon handling of roleplaying with none of the recent conveniences.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I think the *expressively options would fill that gap for you. They still exist, and the list of available adverbs there dwarfs the current mood list.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • @Aerek: Expressions are cool. Emoticons are sort of cool too, except they're a little arcane, and it's a pain going through HELP SAYS just to see the list again. If that was in response to my post, though, then replace "say" in my post with "yell," "shout," or "tell," since moods function in those areas while expressiveness does not.

• My reaction to the moods has been that its tuned way too up that I really end up having to ignore them.  What may be interesting is if the mood automatically drops back to default (or the player can configure an option so after say a day or so it goes back to default if they would like).  I don't see myself likely using them as its usually more fun to work on emotes and such to express the character's mood.  Especially what is fun is how people can usually pick up on when Greys is down or has some simply because of deviations from his normal behavior.  I haven't played with it much yet but so far just seems to be telling people things that I just wouldn't.
  • AzaliaAzalia Tennessee
    What's weird to me with moods is something like, "Azalia leaves to the east with a cheerful wave." So if I'm cheerful, I'm waving during my entire walk anywhere. I prefer a more subtle way of showing my emotions, so I have yet to use moods.