Moods - Nice Addition or Poor Implementation?

An intense chill washes over you as Jacen tells you, "Blah blah blah."

Through the snapping and popping of flames, Jacen tells you, "Blah blah blah."

Through a veil of fine mist, Jacen tells you, "Blah blah blah."

Hurricane-force winds buffet you briefly as Jacen shouts, "Blah blah blah."

I am just utterly not a fan of the mood system. I guess the basic moods are okay, but these other ones... ugh. I think Draekar said it awhile back, but these are very divine-esque reactions, and I don't think that players ( artefacts or not ) should get this sort of flavor. It severely detracts from the awesomeness that is divine interaction. Likewise, I don't very much enjoy getting buffeted around because someone decided to shout "lol got ur nose" or feel a chill every time someone sends me a tell. Idk, I'm definitely not normally an anti-new stuff person, but this gets a 2/10 from me.

Comments

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    agreed on the divine-esque messages, those are the ones I don't like about my Wind mood, so I turn those off. I feel like they could use a rewrite, to be less... godly
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• They seem like a demonstration of where this game is headed that I immensely dislike. So well done on the effort (?) put in for this, but I agree with OP generally.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Having played MUDs where you get a lot of flexibility of setting your own titles, and exit messages, I actually kind of like the extra level of customisation. I agree that some of the moods are a little extreme in their portrayals, and I turn off some of the messages because they don't really suit my character, but I like having the options at least.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I honestly think these kinds of "Moods" should only be bestowed to players by divine.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • I think the exotic ones should become so commonplace that they lose any allure and people stop bothering to use them.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Sena said my thoughts word for word - down to the emotes part - so there you go!
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I just think too many of the moods are rather bland in terms of writing.  Its like there is no middle way between over the top like the elemental moods and most of the normal ones. At least the elemental ones actually seemed to be written creatively, as opposed to just slapping a word with -ly and calling it a day.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• NimNim
    edited April 2014

I played on an alt last night, and got the impression that Achaea is turning into DBZ with the elemental moods. It's even more awkward that the elemental moods are completely unrelated to what the character actually is or does, so they're just this Gaia avatar thing.

Shirszae said:
    I just think too many of the moods are rather bland in terms of writing.  Its like there is no middle way between over the top like the elemental moods and most of the normal ones. At least the elemental ones actually seemed to be written creatively, as opposed to just slapping a word with -ly and calling it a day.

I think the moods should be a bit simple and bland (edit: not bland, per say, but unimposing), but I agree that a mood that mostly just uses an adverb form is kind of pointless except for extending expressions to yells/shouts/tells/moving/etc., to which I wonder why not just add expressiveness to those mediums of communication?

• NimNim
    edited April 2014
    Yeah. If they wanted to make money off of it, they could've done a dumb thing where you have to pay to access your class mood or order mood or whatever, but letting people blatantly be things they are not is kind of jarring.

ETA: @Aisling: don't forget about blademasters. :( We use even more basic elements than you guys, so we should get more moods! Right? Right!
  • Nim said:
    Yeah. If they wanted to make money off of it, they could've done a dumb thing where you have to pay to access your class mood or order mood or whatever, but letting people blatantly be things they are not is kind of jarring.

ETA: @Aisling: don't forget about blademasters. :( We use even more basic elements than you guys, so we should get more moods! Right? Right!
    They are making money off of it by introducing a crown sale and then only selling them for crowns. I bet credit sales are through the roof right now.

• Cooper said:
    Nim said:

They are making money off of it by introducing a crown sale and then only selling them for crowns. I bet credit sales are through the roof right now.
    Ah, I meant "if they want to make money off of it in a way that's less ridiculous than the current way."
  • I am in the same boat, @Antonius - nothing would really be suitable to actually use and they can be a little bit of a turnoff to me. The writing on them is just over-the-top.

But I WANT to like them. I love that the admin put some time/energy into developing something with roleplay utility. The trouble is (this is why we can't have nice things..)  is that particularly once the newness wears off, people will get lazy and "set it and forget it" mood-wise. The same thing happens with voices, too, and it drive me nuts. You likely wouldn't really have a calm voice in battle, or a quiet voice when you're speaking to a group of 50 people.

The other thing about moods is they feel very social-media-y to me. 

My mid-teens goddaughter has developed a new trick on facebook where every time she posts something, inane though it may be, it's accompanied by a mood: 
    -- feeling angry >:| or
    -- feeling cheerful! :D etc.

I bet she'd love some brassy tones and glimmering unshed tears, but I'm not sure that's a good thing.
  • Mishgul said:
    don't see an eyebrow mood
    Mishgul, using only his eyebrows to communicate, says "Hello!"
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Trevize said:
    Mishgul said:
    don't see an eyebrow mood
    Mishgul, using only his eyebrows to communicate, says "Yes."
    ftfy
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• GogGog
    edited April 2014
    Maybe it should just be actual moods and not psuedo-powers. Even then, I say less stuff that encourage people not to write their own detailed emotes.
  • Yeah. When I suggested dragon moods, I was hoping for some draconic rage sort of thing, where you're angry in an extraordinarily confident way. Like going super saiyan without the silly hair change or the aura. Instead, they gave people the hair change and the aura, and left out the attitude. :(
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Just to throw in my two cents:

I designed the water mood which I probably got a little excited with and based partly on the other elemental moods already in existance. While trying to keep it subtle (I might have failed here somewhat), it wasn't until after I designed and submitted it (and it got approved) that I realized that it was going to be strange to run into people using them for little to no reason. Thankfully, the only person I've run into it with is Kross. Still, it really does seem strange to allow non-elementalists to have it (or perhaps Orders with affinities to certain elements, I.E. Deucalion for fire, Neraeos for water, etc).

I was very excited about moods since "some sort of posing system" had been an idea for a year or two now, but for it to come out this way, with normalish moods being paid for, some of them very bland and template-like, some of them way over the top, it just seems somewhat gimmicky and a way to endorse credit sales. Which is sad, since this seems like a great avenue to increasing roleplay for everyone, but especially the people who prefer a more subtle lifestyle.

Hopefully maybe they'll open up moods to be edited by players. I suggested some improvements to serene, for instance, but they never really got approved which kind of leaves my favourite default mood bland. :( The good news is, there's -plenty- of room for improvement, should it be allowed.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    There are things I do and don't like about it. A posing system would be a lot cooler, one similar to maybe what Aetolia has. It's more reasonable, and also more customisable. Makes RP more in-depth, too. Our emote system is already similar to Aetolia's, why not just adopt the posing system from there, too?
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• My only complaints about moods are:

1) I can't disable seeing the moods of others

2) People that aren't the Shadow Matrix can use the Shadow mood
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Big fan of the idea, but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. Making moods pay-for collectibles also seems pretty distasteful, in that it's turning Achaea into Fable or GTA, except the crappy outfits and haircuts you collect have a huge impact on your character and how everybody (forcibly, despite rules against forcing reactions from others) reacts to your character.

Not a fan as they are, and not impressed by what this signals for the potential direction IRE are taking with credit sales if this is an indication to go by. Disappointing, given that the idea has a lot of promise.

• Silas said:
     (forcibly, despite rules against forcing reactions from others) 
    Sorry, what? I've looked at the moods and I don't see where they're forcing your character to feel a particular emotion.