Anyone here use fedora?

KyrtonKyrton California
edited April 2014 in Client Help
I am having a weird yum problem and until I solve it I cannot get mudlet. after attempting solving this on my own taking it to friends irl and searching the internet I cannot find a good solution and I would really like to use your client. Everytime I start yumex I get a locked by yum_childtask.py error that I cannot solve so I can't get the dependencies for mudlet. Anyone able to help? I tried deleting the .pid file it was associated with but it just came back up again and then i tried yum clean all and rpm --rebuilddb then ran it because at first I thought the error was caused by a repository I had. Now I am just lost. I looked and the only thing I could find aside from the above was a bug report that said it might be connected to a languagepack but they didn't offer a solution. I can pastebin my output if you want. Anyone care to help?

From yellow to blue to white the dots on the wave form the image. Shape and texture juxtaposed with the sensation they create on the eye and the sentiment it stirs within. Thus the ambiguity of "to feel."

Comments

• I used to but switched to different distro.

However, for the sake of being of assistance, I created a new vm and loaded in the lastest fedora (20).

I don't use yumex, just use CLI for package management, so can't comment on debugging yumex specifically.

BUT, as far as resolving dependencies so you can get up and running - this is what I had to do to get it going:

1. As I mentioned, got fresh fedora 20 up and running in a VM.
    2. Grabbed the mudlet Linux 64 bit installer from mudlet.org, gave executable permissions and installed
    3. Tried to double click on 'Run Mudlet' and it silently failed, i.e. did nothing and gave no errors.
    4. Manually running it from CLI did show dependency errors. So this is how I resolved them:
      A. sudo yum install libGLU
      B. download and install libquazip from rpm.pbone.net (make sure you get right one for your version of fedora)
      C. sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libquazip.so.1 /usr/lib/libquazip.so.0 (executable insists on old version, but can symbolically link to new one)
      D. sudo yum install glibc (needs at least 2.17, probably 2.18 will come down)
      E. sudo yum update libdrm (wants it updated)
      F. mv ~/mudlet-2.1/bin/libc.so.6 /tmp/ (old version of files hat throws errors, newer one in /usr/lib64 already)

With this done it started up fine for me. Let me know if you have any other issues or if this solves it.
    The Truths hurt. Always.
  • KyrtonKyrton California
    Thanks for the post, I did the same and got the same result (installed fine and wouldn't execute no errors).  I haven't tried running it from terminal, but I think I need the glibc as well so until I get yum fixed I can't run it.  Argggggghhhh!

From yellow to blue to white the dots on the wave form the image. Shape and texture juxtaposed with the sensation they create on the eye and the sentiment it stirs within. Thus the ambiguity of "to feel."

• Umm.. Did you follow the instructions A-F above? That's how you install glibc, etc. After I did the above it all worked fine from double clicking on the icon. 
    The Truths hurt. Always.
    this was my output after inputting the first command:

I have done yum clean all and rpm --rebuilddb to try to clean all repos that didn't come with fedora (technically I am using korora which is like Mint for Fedora).  No go :/

• Two things on your error output: 
    1) It's not in what you pasted, but can you see what repo is failing?
    2) The below sounds like you're out of disk space. If that's the case, it'll cause all sorts of issues. Try "df -h" and see how much is free on your "/" partition. If it's got 0 Avail(able) and is 100% in use, then you're going to have to delete/move some stuff or make a larger partition.
    1. Insufficient space in download directory /var/cache/yum/x86_64/20/fedora
    2.     * free   0
    3.     * needed 100 k
    The Truths hurt. Always.
    here is the pastebin og my "df -h" http://pastebin.com/vpwRUNP4

/ is full, but I don't know how so many partitions were created?  When I first ran the installer I gave the majority of my free space to my main partition which I guess is root.  Should I use a partition manager to merge them?

I can't see which repo is failing unless there is a command I am unfamiliar with to do so.  After the rpm --rebuilddb the ones I have are: fedora korora rpmfusion-free rpmfusion-free-updates rpmfusion-nonfree rpmfusion-nonfree-updates updates

• Your main drive being full is the problem. Yum won't be able to do anything if you have no disk space. Can't create a database, can't log, can't create temporary files, etc. That's probably why the repo is failing. I'm surprised you're not having more problems with just about everything else on your computer. 

As far as why so many, the vast majority of your space is in that primary partition and default installs do usually create several partitions for various things.

Delete a bunch of stuff from your main partition to give yourself at least a couple gigs of space to play around with, then try it again.
    The Truths hurt. Always.
    edited April 2014
    can I just transfer the space from /home to / ?

Also, I appreciate your help not many people know fedora here so I am starting a supplemental thread of fedora forums in case I have any additional questions.

• In a way. It would be a bit overcomplicated to try to resize the partitions to accomplish freeing up some space though.

The easiest way is to move files from the / partition to the /home partition. 

I'm not sure what you're running on your computer, so I'm not sure where you could expect to find chunks of movable/deleteable files. 

Easiest way is to just browse around a bit and find anything chunky - music, videos and large images are good candidates if you've those floating around outside your /home directory. Also any installed programs you don't use. That kind of thing.
    The Truths hurt. Always.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    One thing you can also do see see where all of your space has gone on your root partition is to use "du -h --max-depth=1", will show you which directories are taking up the most space. I'd probably warrant that it's /var/log or /var/spool that will be the biggest culprits, considering you have /home on a separate volume.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Yep. Pretty common issue with rhel/centos/fedora default partition/volume layout to make the root file system too small.
    I have a few centos pieces of crap I admin - you'd think you're good with 20GB root until you realize you derped and have mysql sitting on it. (of course I didn't find that out until it was too late)
    edited April 2014
    Ok so I think what was happening was my /tmp/ or /var/tmp/ was full of crap because cron hadn't deleted it yet.  I got rid of wine and all the junk it had and boom +17 GB.  Anyhow...

A. sudo yum install libGLU

[code]sudo yum install libGLU
    Loaded plugins: etckeeper, langpacks, refresh-updatesd
    korora                                                   | 3.4 kB     00:00     
    rpmfusion-free-updates                                   | 3.3 kB     00:00     
    rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                                | 3.3 kB     00:00     
    updates/20/x86_64/metalink                               |  19 kB     00:00     
    Package mesa-libGLU-9.0.0-4.fc20.x86_64 already installed and latest version
    Nothing to do[/code]

B. download and install libquazip from rpm.pbone.net (make sure you get right one for your version of fedora)

[code]yum install quazip
    Package quazip-0.5.1-2.fc20.x86_64 already installed and latest version
    Nothing to do[/code]

C. sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libquazip.so.1 /usr/lib/libquazip.so.0 (executable insists on old version, but can symbolically link to new one)

[code]sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libquazip.so.1 /usr/lib/libquazip.so.0
    ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/usr/lib/libquazip.so.0’: File exists
    [/code]

D. sudo yum install glibc (needs at least 2.17, probably 2.18 will come down)

[code]sudo yum install glibc
    Package glibc-2.18-12.fc20.x86_64 already installed and latest version
    Nothing to do
    [/code]

E. sudo yum update libdrm (wants it updated)

[code]sudo yum install glibc
    Package glibc-2.18-12.fc20.x86_64 already installed and latest version
    Nothing to do
    [/code]

F. mv ~/mudlet-2.1/bin/libc.so.6 /tmp/ (old version of files hat throws errors, newer one in /usr/lib64 already)

[b]I deleted this one manually because the terminal was throwing me errors due to the file path[/b]

With this done it started up fine for me. Let me know if you have any other issues or if this solves it.

The executable still doesn't run.  I am not sure what was causing the ln error, because I ran it once before as a superuser in the / directory and it seemed to work.  Please note where I have to switch between directories when executing a command because sometimes I don't realize until later, but thanks for all the help.

Ok, so I figured out what was going on.  My torrent client was saving all files to /var/tmp which was causing it to eat up all the memory on /

I still have no idea why I can't get the mudlet executable to run though :/

Sorry for the triple post @Suladan when you ran it from the terminal did you just use cd to navigate to the directory it installed to and then type in "Run Mudlet.desktop"?  I get no output doing that