newbie shield

This may be kind of an insane idea, but I could definitely see it being lots of fun and get a lot of newbies interested in achaea, the combat system, and get social interaction to lock them into playing long term.  Give newbies an aura or blessing that lasts till they turn level 21.  This aura would make them invulnerable to attacks by anyone with a level higher than 20.  Then newbies could be invited on raids as meat shields to soak damage from other players.  This would show them one of the best aspects of the game, help get them involved in interaction with others, roll right into mentorship, and they couldn't really damage high level players because their attacks would be too weak.

From yellow to blue to white the dots on the wave form the image. Shape and texture juxtaposed with the sensation they create on the eye and the sentiment it stirs within. Thus the ambiguity of "to feel."

Comments

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Kyrton said:
    <snip>, and they couldn't really damage high level players because their attacks would be too weak.
    a fair few attacks scale with enemy health, and some, like a magi's firelash, are already available relatively quickly. Of course this scaling was nerfed considerably in the past (eh @Veldrin?) but if by your suggestion they would be invulnerable to higher level players, they could just run around being killing machines.
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• KyrtonKyrton California
    1.  wasn't sure how group targeting worked because of no raid experience and the curiosity of that led to this thread
    2.  so what?  they get 2-3 kills and hit level 20 boom shield removed
    3. newbies are actually valuable and sought after get more interest/time/resources poured into them then get involved more then buy credits Sarapis wins

From yellow to blue to white the dots on the wave form the image. Shape and texture juxtaposed with the sensation they create on the eye and the sentiment it stirs within. Thus the ambiguity of "to feel."

• Fairykiller's long lost cousin, Penwizekiller.

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • Sounds awesome
  • This will enable enemies to use their newbies to scout cities for vulnerabilities or to stand in the enemy cities as portals. Not a very good idea.

If .. only -IF- .. the newbie shield is designed for hunting creatures out there, NOT for adventurer combat.

You don't want more problems from newbies trolling the hell out of you in your cities and not having a way to kill them for being asses do you? I know from personal experience trying to kill an asshole newbie who stood in my city trolling us, and he can't be killed due to that thing about being below level 10 and protected from adventurers wanting to murder him for being a troll. He was level 5. Kept coming back for more.

In short, no. I rather not have newbies come into my city to troll the hell out of us with "newbie shield" and not having to worry about the consequences of trolling us.
    Sarapis said: I refuse to play in any environment where I can't have a large red physical 'zap' button with a flip-up clear plastic cover next to me at all times. Mobile thus does not cut it.
  • Lol wut

so you want to give them invulnerability so that when they start dying every 30 min, it's at level 20-30 instead of right out the gate?

Achaea is very heavy with deaths and xp loss. Getting to understand that and your limitations very early is vital to a player IMO.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Also younger players will generally not be targetted first unless we start to AoE with chaos rays, so they will be the last to die anyway. Its fine as is, if a novice wants to join a raid (generally a defence) they will have chance enough to do so.
  • KyrtonKyrton California
    Yeah, it was a kind of spur of the moment idea, I can see the flaws now.

• Kyrton said:
    Yeah, it was a kind of spur of the moment idea, I can see the flaws now.
    Don't be put off; this is why we have forums!
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.