So I like MUDS...

I like MUDS. So i'm just trying to articulate why they are better than MMORPG's like wow. Can you compair them? Why are MUD's better?

Comments

• why in Rants, though?
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited April 2014
    MUDs are far superior when it comes to community and roleplay. MMOs like WoW are simply theme parks where you grind your way to endgame, join a raid guild and roll for fat l00ts. The few RP servers that exist in MMOs don't hold a candle to MUDs, particularly because of the lack of dev-support for narrative, player-driven events.

When the endgame becomes too boring, the devs simply roll out an expansion pack that makes everyone's gear suck balls (Blizzard is particularly notorious for this) and then you have to grind the new content for the new, shiny gear. Rinse, wash, repeat.

• Tarkanian said:
    why in Rants, though?
    i had know idea where else to put this. now that i'm getting help in my articulation, maybe i'll turn it up a notch and make this a rant.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    this would have probably fit best in universal membrane. As for your question, @Aktillum hit the nail on the head there. another nice aspect that I found in muds, IRE's in particular, is that -every single organisation- is player run. There are no NPC's that call the shots, no stagnant cities (atleast not permanently) everything evolves alongside the players
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• I can play Achaea/MUDs off a rock.

The system reqs are quite low.
    *Animated Signature*

• Dran said:
    I like MUDS. So i'm just trying to articulate why they are better than MMORPG's like wow. Can you compair them? Why are MUD's better?
    Stronger community, which is admittedly largely because the communities are much smaller. 

No sharding (unlike most MMOs, with exceptions of course), which lets us do things that mesh somewhat with what players are doing. Very hard to do that at all when you have to run the same event across a dozen servers like large MMOs typically do.

Stronger roleplaying. Partly a function of smaller community, partly a function of an often more mature audience.

Broader variety of game systems. This isn't always true, but tends to be true even given the much smaller budgets (in manpower) that good MUDs are developed on.

Just a start!
  • He didn't see the Tesha/Mephaos log. Shhhh
  • AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    Xli said:

Sarapis said:

Dran said:

...an often more mature audience....

Say what now?

'Lol say 123763 if you wanna buy rune armour!'

Just one example of why Mud is better and bit more mature than an MMO like Runescape.