Ask your Producer: Year 650 Edition

Comments

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Tecton said:
    Kyrra said:
    Can I totem the Garden?
    You wouldn't like our rates... or the droves of Ugrach-level hounds we have patrolling the grounds.
    I totem for free and surely you could just keep them on a leash for a little while?  ;;)
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Kinilan said:
    Why do you hate ships? Are you really Tagg? How many dead babies/seals/baby seals do I need to offer before this long overlooked system gets some attention?

What I mean is in the timeline of things that are being worked on how far behind things like multi-class and other more pressing issues is the niche system that is seafaring?
    I was actually just saying the other day how we need to sit down for a couple of weeks/months and just really get seafaring up to its full potential. Can't even begin to give you a timeframe though!
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    @Penwize you can do so at the First Step to Divinity (that's what the level names are for you now, right?)
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• KeiKei
    edited March 2014
    It was mentioned about skill versus chance, but are there any thoughts about shifting all cures to a set order (e.g. Goldenseal will always cure Impatience, then Stupidity, then...), or is the current mostly-random curing an acceptable element of chance overall?

I know abilities seem to be balanced around it, such as with Instill, but I'm not sure if that was intentional to try and limit the effectiveness of those abilities or it just worked out that way.

ETA: In short, what are your thoughts on completely deterministic curing?

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • Kei said:
    It was mentioned about skill versus chance, but are there any thoughts about shifting all cures to a set order (e.g. Goldenseal will always cure Impatience, then Stupidity, then...), or is the current mostly-random curing an acceptable element of chance overall? I know abilities seem to be balanced around it, such as with Instill, but I'm not sure if that was intentional to try and limit the effectiveness of those abilities or it just worked out that way. ETA: In short, what are your thoughts on completely deterministic curing?
    That's a massive change to curing and affliction combat, which would either make affliction stacking pointless (because they'll cure the most important affliction first every time) or a lot more powerful than it already is (because you can guarantee that they won't ever cure the most important affliction first). There'd likely need to be adjustments to every class that relies on, or at the very least uses, afflictions if that did happen. Just doesn't seem like it's worth the effort since the minimal amount of randomness isn't exactly causing problems.

Of course Tecton might come in and completely disagree with me.
    Kei said:
    It was mentioned about skill versus chance, but are there any thoughts about shifting all cures to a set order (e.g. Goldenseal will always cure Impatience, then Stupidity, then...), or is the current mostly-random curing an acceptable element of chance overall? I know abilities seem to be balanced around it, such as with Instill, but I'm not sure if that was intentional to try and limit the effectiveness of those abilities or it just worked out that way. ETA: In short, what are your thoughts on completely deterministic curing?
    It has pretty far-reaching consequences, and would require a large amount of rebalancing to account for. Maybe one day, but no plans for it anytime soon.
    Aepas said:
    Will we ever have the chance to "Will" our artifacts to people?
    I occasionally serve in a combat zone, and I have a chance of dying, although it might be rather slim.

Before major movements, I get a chance to write a death letter and set up a will. As nerdy as it may seem, my account and password, as well as detailed instructions on how to write a newsletter about "Aepas' Departure" are in there as part of my untimely movement to another plane.

I would love a way for artifacts/items to be given to other people, nullified of their powers, and turned into non-resetting items so a small part of the player spirit may live on through this virtual life that we all spend so much time on.

Sorry for sounding so morbid! and I don't plan on dying anytime soon :3
    Interesting idea, not something we've ever thought of!

I'm not sure how well it weighs up in terms of development time vs. usage, to be 100% honest, so the chances of it ever being put in are pretty slim.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I've been holding off on buying furniture since it was said there might be new crafting or trade skills in the future. Is custom, player made furniture going to become a trade skill ever? If not, I'll stop waiting.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Tecton said:
    Aepas said:
    Will we ever have the chance to "Will" our artifacts to people?
    I occasionally serve in a combat zone, and I have a chance of dying, although it might be rather slim.

Before major movements, I get a chance to write a death letter and set up a will. As nerdy as it may seem, my account and password, as well as detailed instructions on how to write a newsletter about "Aepas' Departure" are in there as part of my untimely movement to another plane.

I would love a way for artifacts/items to be given to other people, nullified of their powers, and turned into non-resetting items so a small part of the player spirit may live on through this virtual life that we all spend so much time on.

Sorry for sounding so morbid! and I don't plan on dying anytime soon :3
    Interesting idea, not something we've ever thought of!

I'm not sure how well it weighs up in terms of development time vs. usage, to be 100% honest, so the chances of it ever being put in are pretty slim.
    I believe I asked it a long time ago, the first time I went into hazard duty, perhaps 6-7 years ago? It was shot down under the rule that "Artifacts are only for the user"

Perhaps I worded it wrong back then. Would it ever be possible for specific users that do face hazard duty to request something like this in a worst case scenario? I am sure it would be a lot of work, but even something like "A momento of Aepas" or something like that to be distributed to a few specific people if the occasion called for it?
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
    Kayeil said:
    I've been holding off on buying furniture since it was said there might be new crafting or trade skills in the future. Is custom, player made furniture going to become a trade skill ever? If not, I'll stop waiting.
    No plans at this stage, no.
  • IsaiahIsaiah Georgia
    Tecton said:
    Isaiah said:
    Is it true that the serpent skill venom is going to be divorced as a trade skill and if so can you give us a small glimpse of what might replace it?
    That's the current thinking, yes. We hope to do a major overhaul on serpents to get rid of the reliance on illusions as a core mechanic. By doing this, it allows us to do a lot of other things that aide in helping people get into combat without worrying about hobbling serpents. This could include helper tips when you've been afflicted, telling you how to cure the ailment and such.

We'd be backfilling the void with some fun new abilities that really drive home the "infiltrate and assassinate" theme, as well as expanding on some of the mechanics that are currently touched upon in subterfuge.
    serpents will still keep the illusion skill though right?

Eat like a caveman, train like a beast. Champions are not born, they are made. 

Isaiah said:
    Tecton said:
    Isaiah said:
    Is it true that the serpent skill venom is going to be divorced as a trade skill and if so can you give us a small glimpse of what might replace it?
    That's the current thinking, yes. We hope to do a major overhaul on serpents to get rid of the reliance on illusions as a core mechanic. By doing this, it allows us to do a lot of other things that aide in helping people get into combat without worrying about hobbling serpents. This could include helper tips when you've been afflicted, telling you how to cure the ailment and such.

We'd be backfilling the void with some fun new abilities that really drive home the "infiltrate and assassinate" theme, as well as expanding on some of the mechanics that are currently touched upon in subterfuge.
    serpents will still keep the illusion skill though right?
    Most likely, it just won't be key to their offence.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Any plans in the future to update how limb breaking works/Making it easier for us to tell when someone breaks? 

As it stands now a limb counter is an absolute standard with some hidden formula that's been figured out years ago for breaking classes.  Which for the most part can be gotten in game or off from forums already. with that said shouldn't it be about time to simplify it?

• I was just trolling Sarapis with my denizen damage question.

Interested in hearing about the limb damage question though.

• edited March 2014

Tecton said:
    Kei said:
    It has pretty far-reaching consequences, and would require a large amount of rebalancing to account for. Maybe one day, but no plans for it anytime soon.
    Just to weigh-in on this, I personally like the random chances for curing in Achaea. To change it to deterministic curing you would need to change the mechanics for pretty much every class that uses afflictions, because: 

If you set a cure order to always cure high priority afflictions first (Asthma>Weariness>Sensitivity>Clumsiness>Healthleech etc) (Impatience>Stupidity>Dizziness etc) then you completely incapacitate classes that rely on the importance of succeeding in those 50/50 or 33/33/33 or 25/25/25/25 chances, and instead make it a 0% chance for them to succeed every time because the affliction they need to stick will always be cured first. 

If you set the cure order to always cure in inverse high priority then you make it very difficult to actually defend against these classes. Serpent's would rock with scytherus on ginseng stacks and impatience on goldenseal stacks, everyone would have a bad time in Bard harmonics with impatience and goldenseal stacks, apostate kelp stacks would be a nightmare to defend against, etcetera. 

Lastly, if you even do a set cure order at all you basically have to completely rework the Occultist class, which seems redundant considering this only just happened. One of the balancing factors of "New Occultist" is that they don't actually know what you just cured. If they did, they'd have all too easy a time just reapplying cured afflictions and hitting the cadmus/hecate marks far too easily. 

It comes across as more boring and debilitating than helpful and interesting imo.
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    As to the weaponry changes, especially when it comes to knights, are there any plans on changing how disembowel works, ie. making it an instakill and/or viable with other weapons? Antonius posted some numbers on it a while ago and I have found those to be accurate, but as is, rapiers are the only weapon that can effectively pull one off (maybe some crazy speed scimitars, you can also go with a shatter to get it but that requires a whole other skill.) Even when a knight -does- get a disembowel, it's not a guaranteed kill, even though it takes a lot more work to prep for one than it does for a double back breaker and axe kick. I'd just like to feel like there was more finesse in knight combat and less wildly attempting to inflict enough pre-damage to hope that -maybe- my finisher will kill them. This has only been my experience in breaking into higher tier combat where the fighter skill surpasses the effectiveness of many strategies. Double arm breaks to bypass parry prove useless, proning leg breaks also, basically relying on sticking paralysis every few hits to get around it which often leaves the opponent angry because they were unable to move for most of the fight. Even with that though, you get them fully prepped and go for the breaks and the kill and they are quick enough to tumble off the impale and have enough health or high enough sips to tank an engage hit -and- a lunge to follow that up or even to just sit there and let me tear their guts out and tank it like a champ. I'd be more than willing to see knight(Runie at least, I won't pretend I've played Paladin or Infernal) smash damage take a hit if it meant we could actually use our finisher as a finisher, aka, an instakill. I'm training to be an EMT and a disembowelment is an injury that we would refer to as 'Incompatible with Life."

Sorry that got a little ranty I bolded the question.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • We can make dropping selfishness illegal if suggest action is allowed to force give/put/drop. Deal? Deal! No takesies backsies sorry too late nope mm-mm.
    -
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "If I overdose on anything, though, it'll be a lack of anything."
    (Whiners Anonymous): Alcaro says, "Isn't Morimbuul that Arab that was banished to beneath Mhaldor or something."
  • For Weaponry: will the changes involve tweaking or changing a knight's reliance on venoms?

Regarding venoms/elixirs/potions/et al: will a liquid rift be implemented soon? I think I read somewhere that it's being seriously considered?

Apologies in advance if the two questions have been asked/answered before. Thank you.
  • Tecton said:
    Penwize said:
    This please.  A million times this.

What would it take to convince you to allow/add consolidation of artefact powers as part of your artefacts system?  Seriously, I cannot say how much I want this.  I mean, just LOOK at my inventory.  LOOK AT IT! :(  It's an abomination.
    Oh, I'm not disagreeing. One of the big limiting factors is the performance impact - currently we can do a simple check for "is artefact x in your inventory", vs. doing a "look on every item in your inventory for power x". Which, on the smaller games might be ok, because they've not got our concurrent playerbase, but for us, could be something quite detrimental (especially with the amount of pvp that happens on Achaea).
    May I make a suggestion? One single item, say an amulet. 100cr. You can BESTOW <artefact> POWER ONTO <amulet>. The artefact is destroyed and the power is coveyed. Works for artefacts that it makes sense for - not for say, artefact weapons, blademaster bands, etc. A worn/held check could check for X artefact OR this amulet having that power. Can be hidden for an extra, say, 100cr? Prices are obviously picked out of thin air, no clue what you'd want to charge.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • One thing to mention in the upcoming tradeskills update and moving venoms away from Serpents - currently biting camus is the only viable method of serpents bashing some high level denizens. Garrote with Lash/whip doesn't cut it as they just get dodged, including artefact lashes. Maybe this is part of the weaponry overhaul, but otherwise we'd either need a replacement skill to cover that or we're just SOL on those until dragon.

Probably this is already being thought with, but wanted to mention it just in case.
    The Truths hurt. Always.
    Caladbolg said:
    Any plans in the future to update how limb breaking works/Making it easier for us to tell when someone breaks? 

As it stands now a limb counter is an absolute standard with some hidden formula that's been figured out years ago for breaking classes.  Which for the most part can be gotten in game or off from forums already. with that said shouldn't it be about time to simplify it?
    No particular plans, no - we added the SAWBONES trait to help ease the transition into limb damage classes and getting to know how things work in your particular situation. Beyond that though, not something we're looking at right now.
    Jovolo said:

Tecton said:
    Kei said:
    Just to weigh-in on this, I personally like the random chances for curing in Achaea. To change it to deterministic curing you would need to change the mechanics for pretty much every class that uses afflictions, because: 

If you set a cure order to always cure high priority afflictions first (Asthma>Weariness>Sensitivity>Clumsiness>Healthleech etc) (Impatience>Stupidity>Dizziness etc) then you completely incapacitate classes that rely on the importance of succeeding in those 50/50 or 33/33/33 or 25/25/25/25 chances, and instead make it a 0% chance for them to succeed every time because the affliction they need to stick will always be cured first. 

If you set the cure order to always cure in inverse high priority then you make it very difficult to actually defend against these classes. Serpent's would rock with scytherus on ginseng stacks and impatience on goldenseal stacks, everyone would have a bad time in Bard harmonics with impatience and goldenseal stacks, apostate kelp stacks would be a nightmare to defend against, etcetera. 

Lastly, if you even do a set cure order at all you basically have to completely rework the Occultist class, which seems redundant considering this only just happened. One of the balancing factors of "New Occultist" is that they don't actually know what you just cured. If they did, they'd have all too easy a time just reapplying cured afflictions and hitting the cadmus/hecate marks far too easily. 

It comes across as more boring and debilitating than helpful and interesting imo.
    Yeah, if we were to do it, we'd do it alongside a massive overhaul - but to be honest, if it aint broke...
This discussion has been closed.