Class/city opinions

Hello, new player here.

I'd like your input/opinions on my choices on class:  Shaman, Apostate and Jester.  I'd like to focus primarily on familiarizing and learning the 'complex' combat system, however, I don't plan to be buying any artefacts, at least not initially (but more than likely, enough credits to learn skills to be combat-viable.)  If you have any other recommendations (preferably not any knight or monk classes -- they seem bland to me), I'd like to hear about them and their viability as well.

Regarding city choice, I'd rather be the underdog than the dominating force; assuming there aren't vast (population or otherwise) imbalances, I [i]think[/i] that this would be where I enjoy myself the most.  I don't mind role-playing to be good, evil, peaceful, antagonistic or any archetype in-between.  Would it be correct in assuming that Targossas/Mhaldor antagonizes several city-states while having small populations?

Speaking of buying credits, I was reading the announcements, are there any sorts of events that will happen in the Year650(?) celebrations that will encourage me to not buy credits 'till then?  I dislike playing at a major disadvantage (yes, I've read the topics regarding the 'requirement' of artefacts to be competitive.)

Thanks for your responses.

Comments

• If you want to learn the combat system, you're likely best served with apostate out of those three. The other two tend towards more trick based offenses presently, which while affective aren't necessarily the best way to learn the various ins and outs.

Regarding Y650, its a pretty good time to start playing! There tend to be a lot of opportunities to win credits during the championship games, even if you're only participating at a lower level. Good luck.

• Agreed, apostate is likely the best option. On the pro-shaman front though, it is completely do-able combat-wise with only two of the three class skills transcendent (curses and vodun). Runelore is a nice because of totems and the various offensive and defensive boons various runes provide, but not essential. Like jester, it does rely heavily on specific strategies, which require a level of awareness of the various ins and outs of combat as a whole though (ie, trick based offenses), but I love my class. Been playing it almost 10 years and I still get a kick out of it.

If you're looking for underdog states, I'd go with Hashan. That would also be a natural fit for you if you were a shaman. 
  • Since the combat question was pretty much already answered, I'm just going to talk about the RP side of things. If you want to play underdog, but have a lot of fun I'd really recommend Shaman and Hashan right now. With Twilight's recent return, there's tons of potential and the city is likely going to see some positive changes and interesting events soon with two very active and involved Divine (Ourania and Twilight are both awesome!) Now is the time to get involved to get in on that. You'll also have a fair amount of freedom to RP how you want to in Hashan, compared to some of the more restrictive cities, as well.
  • Have to agree that Apostate is going to be the best of you want to learn combat. Also if people figure out your strategy and counter it, they expose themselves to other strategies and because it is a lot more fluid combat class it is easier to switch on the fly. Also one of the best classes, if not THE best without artefacts.

Great help in group melee and Beckon is incredibly valuable in raids.

Mhaldor is indeed a small city but because they are aggressive you will never be short of combat opportunities. RP is very strong in the city and you will have an easier time finding great combat mentors.

• Agree with apostate. Mhaldor is definitely a scrappy underdog combat-wise but also provides great RP opportunities.
  • Not jester.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.