Jera idea - mainstat

I've always thought it pretty useless to many classes to get +1 str from Jera, while it gives a significant upgrade to strength-based classes.

My idea is that maybe Jera could give each class +1 to its main stat.

Commence the berating.

Comments

• Without commenting on the idea, this sort of idea (which involves combat and balance) is reserved for classleads.

With commenting on it, you should suggest it next classlead round because it seems cool. Alternatively, a separate rune that does +1 int/+1 con.

• edited February 2014
    Alternatively just adding a rune akin to Jera for int/dex would accomplish the same end.

Edit: @cooper omg did that just happen?
  • Int dex would be neat. Or double jera's cost and just do an all around boost on it.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Xith said:
    Int dex would be neat. Or double jera's cost and just do an all around boost on it.
    I'd be fine if you could choose the stat that you get alongside the +Con, but are then limited to only that one. If a monk could get both +str and +int it'd be a little powerful.
  • I think it goes without saying that you would only get one at a time. I'm not really asking to "upgrade" Jera, just suggesting we make it a little less geared to strength classes exclusively.

I favor the idea of separate (exclusive) runes, instead of a "smart" Jera, since there are a few classes that have more than one useful stat. Monk is a good example.
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    edited February 2014
    EDIT: read more closely this time, and apparently the suggestion to only have one or the other was already given.
  • Jera and Jero. Mutually exclusive.

Can you scrub runes off of people? Cause I could see the typos causing a fuss.
  • They can smudge'm themselves.  SMUDGE (rune) ON ME.
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    edited February 2014

Ok, to actually be helpful with this discussion. Here's a list of Anglo Saxon runes (the runes used in Achaean Runelore) that are so far unused, as well as their meanings, at least according to this site: http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/meanings.html 

Ansuz: A revealing message or insight, communication. Signals, inspiration, enthusiasm, speech, true vision, power of words and naming. Blessings, the taking of advice. Good health, harmony, truth, wisdom. Ansuz Reversed or Merkstave: Misunderstanding, delusion, manipulation by others, boredom. Vanity and grandiloquence. (Odin is a mighty, but duplicitous god. He always has his own agenda.)

Kenaz: Vision, revelation, knowledge, creativity, inspiration, technical ability. Vital fire of life, harnessed power, fire of transformation and regeneration. Power to create your own reality, the power of light. Open to new strength, energy, and power now. Passion, sexual love. Kenaz Reversed or Merkstave: Disease, breakup, instability, lack of creativity. Nakedness, exposure, loss of illusion and false hope.

Perthro: Uncertain meaning, a secret matter, a mystery, hidden things and occult abilities. Initiation, knowledge of one's destiny, knowledge of future matters, determining the future or your path. Pertaining to things feminine, feminine mysteries including female fertility, and vagina. Good lot, fellowship and joy. Evolutionary change. Perthro Reversed or Merkstave: Addiction, stagnation, loneliness, malaise.

• edited February 2014
    Kenaz=Kena.

Also, runelore already isn't entirely restricted to real runes (loshre, sleizak), and there are already multiple variations of the same rune (laguz, lagua, lagul), so the name can be a variation of jera or pretty much anything at all.

Edit: The meanings given there are also unrelated to the original language, they're entirely a modern invention.
  • 50% of the time it causes sleep though insomnia, 50% of the time it causes the sketcher to say "I'm sorry, this never happens"?
  • Out of curiosity, when does are class leads happening again? I'm unfamiliar with the new system.
  • Accipiter said:
    50% of the time it causes sleep though insomnia, 50% of the time it causes the sketcher to say "I'm sorry, this never happens"?
    I remember totems behaving quite differently once upon a time. People would get hit with a sleep totem and actually stay asleep for a few seconds. I'm not sure what changes went in to the realm that started impacting sleep/hinder totems, but I first noticed a big change in them about a year ago. I bugged and issued those replies for clarification and it seemed as though having nearly perfect endurance meant you were no longer really going to be impacted by these kinds of totems (which is hilarious because they're the kind almost every city uses for defense). If someone has perfect endurance, which is entirely possible given that many classes do not have abilities high in endurance drain, you might get hit, might fall asleep for about a millisecond, but you'll wake right back up - especially if you have metawake already locked and loaded.
  • @Bluef It's because everyone in Achaea who isn't a newbie is a dragon.  They also have more experience, and better systems.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited February 2014
    Also to be helpful, I think Achaean runes are based on the Elder Futhark, not Anglo Saxon. I only know this because a table exactly like that was circulating in 2007ish or so when the big runelore event (and subsequent changes).
  • @Bluef: The whole point of metawake is to wake you up instantly. Wake times without kola, even with full endurance, are pretty random; sometimes you'll wake straight away, other times you won't.
  • Shecks said:
    @Bluef It's because everyone in Achaea who isn't a newbie is a dragon.  They also have more experience, and better systems.
    Very true. Systems, level of experience, etc. do play a role in it, but sleep is also entirely based on endurance, so sleep totems really only have a good chance to solidly impact people, of any level, whose class abilities aren't under a continuous endurance drain, except maybe serpents who can simply evade through them. For example - on my shaman, I instantly wake from totems because I'm never even a smidge low on endurance. In dragon, I can actually stay asleep for quite a few ticks even with metawake up, especially if I've recently been hunting and my endurance is lower than normal.

Edit: Actually, the only way I can sleep IC is when I'm in dragonform. In lesser I can't burn enough endurance to even dream much, and that's pretty terrible considering I'm Valnuranian. :(
  • Antonius said:
    @Bluef: The whole point of metawake is to wake you up instantly. Wake times without kola, even with full endurance, are pretty random; sometimes you'll wake straight away, other times you won't.
    I'm just sharing what I was told in bug replies and issues. Sleep is based on endurance. Classes that have constant endurance draining abilities are far more susceptible to it. Like I said, I literally can't sleep in lesser form, so totems may hinder me for a few seconds with transfix and whatnot, but the sleep portion really doesn't impact me and that's got nothing to do with metawake.
  • I am personally against runelore giving anything to dex or int, mainly because of my personal feelings towards "earth magic"

Earth always makes me think of more strength/endurance, but there is a wide variety of runes.

I do not like it, but it does seem possible.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Xith said:
    A rune like an open eye is sketched in slot 1.
    A rune like an open eye is sketched in slot 2.
    A rune shaped like a vagina is sketched in slot 3.
    A rune shaped like a vagina is sketched in slot 4.
    A rune shaped like a vagina is sketched in slot 5.
    A rune shaped like a vagina is sketched in slot 6.
    It is tuned against enemies of the City of Mhaldor.
    It weighs about 30 pounds.
    It bears the distinctive mark of Xer.
    You may use this item to parry with.
    This totem is the property of The City of Mhaldor.
    The totem is currently empowered and will warn of attempts to defile it.

It took me far too long to notice this.
  • edited February 2014
    @bluef reread my post in context then, because it is hilarious. ( need to read the bottom of xith's too)
  • Bluef said:
    In dragon, I can actually stay asleep for quite a few ticks even with metawake up, especially if I've recently been hunting and my endurance is lower than normal.
    I'm not sure you know how metawake works, because this is not possible with metawake up, unless you've found some bug that all the combatants that very regularly use metawake to combat sleeping totems have not encountered.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited February 2014
    Penwize said:
    Bluef said:
    In dragon, I can actually stay asleep for quite a few ticks even with metawake up, especially if I've recently been hunting and my endurance is lower than normal.
    I'm not sure you know how metawake works, because this is not possible with metawake up, unless you've found some bug that all the combatants that very regularly use metawake to combat sleeping totems have not encountered.
    You're right. I've been an omni trans shaman for about 10 years, but I don't now how metawake works or how sleep totems impact people. You caught me. 

I bugged and issued this when I first encountered it. This is the reply I received:

Your bug report (detail: I seem to be able to stay asleep for quite longer than usual even with metawake up. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or misunderstanding that may be involved. The following notes were included: Metawake will wake you up more quickly, but how easily and deeply you fall asleep is always based entirely on your current endurance. 

So then I did tests with people of varying levels with metawake, no metawake, high, mid and low endurance. It hit people with endurance draining abilities harder and longer (even if "longer" was only seconds or milliseconds) every time, regardless of whether metawake was up.

Softfocus and metawake pretty much make the majority of totems nonissues anyway.  But this thread was about changing jera anyway, which I fully support. 
  • I just want to go on record as saying, Love Runes, hate totems. Yes to new runes, as for a totem see below.

• edited February 2014
    sleep runes are used to prone not so much for the sleep... duh also softfocus is why totems are less effective
  • Decan said:
    sleep runes are used to prone not so much for the sleep... duh also softfocus is why totems are less effective
    Disagreed because not only are they for prone but to make them delay writhing. Although I agree the softfocus definitely does make it less useful on totems. Which is why we should all remember to look below.
    Achimrst said:
    I just want to go on record as saying, Love Runes, hate totems. Yes to new runes, as for a totem see below.

• edited February 2014
    Yeah if you have metawake it's just writhe + eat bloodroot and the totem was about as bothersome as a web tattoo.

A "passive" web but still.
  • Bluef just doesn't understand how sleep or metawake works.