Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Magi Classleads/Skillset

167891012»

Comments

• TaelTael Posts: 1,197Member @ - Epic Achaean
    Aegoth said:
    @Tael Please no Lusternia mages. I played a Lusty mage for 11 years and it is the most lacklustre, boring class, and the mechanics behind demesnes are exceedingly damaging to group combat as a whole. It turn into a demesne war where you have to make/break complex demesne designs, and whoever has the demesne wins the fight. Further, it makes it so that if your group DOESN'T have a mage, you're fucked sideways, making it so that playing a mage is a fulltime combat job even if you don't want to fight. As it is now, you can have group combat without a magi present against a group that does have a mage and be fine. I would give both my lungs and perhaps a spleen to never have to play a Lusternian mage ever again.
    Well yes - I played one too (though not quite as long) and I wouldn't want to see a one-for-one copy for those same reasons. But those are largely balance issues, not issues with the underlying concept.

I meant that it would be nice to see them use the concept of demesnes to implement the area control that magi already have right now - the issue is that right now they have a more clunky, outdated implementation through managing a bunch of different vibes in separate rooms and the mechanic causes further problems with trying to balance abilities simultaneously for their area-control utility and their 1v1 utility.

I didn't mean (and was trying to specifically preclude) a situation like Lusternia's where the demesne is itself a fairly potent weapon. Being in a demesne should not be much more dangerous than simply being in a room where a melee could break out. Mostly, the demesne should allow for information gathering and movement. It shouldn't be necessary to have or to break demesnes - they should largely just make it easier to initiate melees (for instance by having a demesne ability that functions as a sort of unstoppable, more local prism/puppet travel/etc.).

The problem with Lusternia mages is that their demesnes are themselves extremely threatening. Being inside one doesn't just make a fair melee fight more likely, it's extremely dangerous itself. That's fixable.
    Aegoth
  • OgnogOgnog Posts: 284Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    This is going to be intentionally vague, because I haven't really thought it through. It just occurred to me that it would be nice if the new magi skillset were associated with the use of wands and crystal balls. Maybe certain spells that require a wand or a crystal ball to be wielded. Hexes and warding spells perhaps. Perhaps a staff could not be wielded at the same time as a wand, requiring swapping and changing to use the third skill set.

It would be nice if the third skill set would open up alternate strategies for magi combat. Items like wands and crystal balls seem to be generally associated with magi yet have no real use as yet.

Atalkez
  • ErnamErnam Posts: 2,416Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    I think magi are going to be very happy, don't worry.

"Our lives are not our own. We are bound to others, past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future."

Manda  |  Godzilla  |  SLC
        TaelXith
      1. OgnogOgnog Posts: 284Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
        Yeah. I feel quite excited about the prospect a new third skill set for magi. Finally a sweeping change I feel excited about. The loss of the old houses left me a little bit melancholy.

2. AlaskarAlaskar Posts: 391Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
        Ernam said:
        I think magi are going to be very happy, don't worry.
        More information! The anticipation is killing meh!

Tael
      3. JovoloJovolo EnglandPosts: 3,120Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
        I'm not sure how he's aware of the information
      4. AlaskarAlaskar Posts: 391Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
        Perhaps he participated in the call for magi testing a week or so ago? 

TaelJovolo
      5. AustereAustere TennesseePosts: 2,063Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
        Jovolo said:
        I'm not sure how he's aware of the information
        Could be that someone put the skills on pastebin(it is removed now, would not have said that if it wasn't) within twenty minutes of Makarios sending out the invites.  Said person didn't edit out their health or timestamps, so I guarantee this is the last time they get to test anything (no clue who it was).  
        TharvisXith
      6. XithXith Posts: 2,601Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
        Wands might get more enchantment based use in the future. Currently nobody uses them cause gloves and rings are more efficient. Would be nice to see. 

Crystal ball though... SET WARCRY I'll get you, my pretty!
        I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
        Ognog
      7. OgnogOgnog Posts: 284Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
        Magi have balls of steel crystal!

8. TaelTael Posts: 1,197Member @ - Epic Achaean
        I am hyped out of my mind.

Knight changes are neat, but I will never play a knight.

Magi changes on the other hand...

And once multiclass goes in, I feel like magi+BM actually works pretty well thematically with all the elemental stuff.

I am going to be so broke :(
        Xith
      9. XithXith Posts: 2,601Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
        The main reason I wouldn't play a knight was dsl. It was boring. Hope weaponmastery allows more versatility. 
        I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
      10. AntoniusAntonius Posts: 4,200Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
        What's boring about doubleslash?

But yes, Weaponmastery gives you three new options: slow two-handed with a new stacking affliction, dual wielding blunt weapons with a unique resource, and sword and board with sword and shield combo attacks.
      167891012»
      Sign In to Comment.