Arena Practice Mode

Explaining combat to newbies can be a pretty daunting task, and a significant port of that trouble is just how many things are obscured in Achaea combat.  I think that's healthy for Achaea's combat in general, but it makes starting out a pretty significant investment time-wise to true newbies.  To help that out, I'd like to see a practice mode added to arenas.  Initiated by CHALLENGE PERSON TO PRACTICE, this arena mode would unobscure a couple of key things that I think most newbies have trouble working out.  Those would be primarily things like:

• When your attack breaks an opponent's limbs.
  • What affliction your attacks give.
  • What affliction your opponent cured.

The idea is to have an arena mode where some of the hidden details about combat are laid out for people to understand easier.  This'll let newbies practice with each other better, and make the effects of their attacks way more obvious so they can learn just by trying and seeing the outcome right there.

Thoughts?

Comments

• I can't agree more.
  • Oh, I do mean to allow anyone to use it, since I think it would help everyone out a whole lot.  I think it would be particularly helpful for newbies (and combat newbies) though, for obvious reasons!
  • The title made me wonder about a no-kill mode too, where you have a 2 or 3 minute limit and deaths don't end the spar.
    Not as necessary but in the case of testing, spending 250+ gold for a 12 second jitb just to capture the kill message or test other aspects of things that are unsafe outside the arena.

Not sure what I'm getting at...
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • I need this desperately. Very good idea.
    Light prevails, always
  • Add a 'cure everything' command so that people can practice stuff that's ordinarily incurable without getting tossed out and having to reject/challenge again? (enlighten mainly but also locks). Of course, only works in practice mode!
  • Or just have it auto cure you when you die and the only real way out is something like CONCLUDE LESSON or other fancy way to say 'end practice mode'

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • As has already been said, making it so death doesn't automatically end it would be great for testing and learning purposes.

Kei said:
    Or just have it auto cure you when you die and the only real way out is something like CONCLUDE LESSON or other fancy way to say 'end practice mode'
    Anedhel said:
    Add a 'cure everything' command so that people can practice stuff that's ordinarily incurable without getting tossed out and having to reject/challenge again? (enlighten mainly but also locks). Of course, only works in practice mode!
    Xith said:
    The title made me wonder about a no-kill mode too, where you have a 2 or 3 minute limit and deaths don't end the spar.
    Not as necessary but in the case of testing, spending 250+ gold for a 12 second jitb just to capture the kill message or test other aspects of things that are unsafe outside the arena.

Not sure what I'm getting at...a good idea imo