Quick Questions

Comments

• oh also @Dunn, i've gotten 50% damage staffstrike/conflag combos with 21int, with ~35% ticks. it's fucking glorious to see happen
  • I have nimble and a diadem so I'm probably evening out there. I haven't tried quick-witted, honestly, but may consider it in the future for more group oriented stuff.

• Had a thought session with Makarios on this one:

For 1v1, you want to optimise the execution of your limb setup, right? That means that your prep doesn't matter, really. In the case of a fire kill, you want to minimize your balance time on staff/scorch and staff/dehydrate. With diadem and nimble, I get EQ back .4s before I get balance back on staffstrike when I do staff/scorch. This means that I want to absolutely help my balance any way that I can. That's why nimble is a better choice for 1v1.

Groups are a different ball game, obv.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Won't deny that's preferable if you're aiming to optimize for 1v1, I just haven't seen a setup that -can't- be used while QW as well. It's like the difference between 235 and 245 speed rapiers in the old days. Sure, the 245s were demonstrably better, but you only needed 235 to compete and do well. Conversely, I've seen some easy Pummel kills that don't seem possible if you're Nimble; EQ on Deepfreeze is too long.

Not that Pummel is any great shakes, that's just how I tend to weigh decisions. I prefer a wider array of options as opposed to ultra-focused specialization. Same reason all my artefacts are utility/support things instead of stat-adding, sip-boosting, or weapon artefacts.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • @Dunn is absolutely correct with optimizing staffstrike for 1v1. Nimble IS the better choice, hands down, if you're focused solely on 1v1 dueling. I prefer group play, however, since I find it more fun, and QW spec is far better for that since you'll be using more EQ-based attacks than staffstrikes. It's also better for bashing. If I had the money for a trait reset tome, I'd switch depending on my mood, but since I don't, and because I do group fights way more than 1v1, I prefer QW, and I recommend it for any mage who will not be focusing mainly on dueling.
  • 'Greatsword' can't be substituted for 'bastard sword' in descriptions, can it? 
  • Or gets a royal decree, maybe? :O 
  • It can't be a "greatsword", but it can be a "great sword", which isn't sufficient in my book. I recall doing a custom for someone and just saying "a massive sword" to get the size idea across. Trust me, I'd love to go bard with a smallsword or colichemarde, but our rules are what they are.

• Bummer! Ah, well. 
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Any reason why my crit chance seems to be about 6% higher than it should be? At first I thought I was just getting lucky, but over the course of 6k+ hits it just seems odd. I'm sitting pretty at 32% for the past 3k hits this level (where math tells me I should be about 26% (thats over the past 3k hits) and similar increase over the entirety of the level before. I mean, I'm not complaining, but something just seems off.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Any reason why my crit chance seems to be about 6% higher than it should be? At first I thought I was just getting lucky, but over the course of 6k+ hits it just seems odd. I'm sitting pretty at 32% for the past 3k hits this level (where math tells me I should be about 26% (thats over the past 3k hits) and similar increase over the entirety of the level before. I mean, I'm not complaining, but something just seems off.
    You are bugged. But could it be humgii bonus?
    Humgii bonus? Tf
    Huh. Neat.
    edited May 2016
    Going to tag @Makarios cuz he's around and may as well.

ETA: And because it might be the second thing he'll yell at me for breaking today, if he doesn't decide to zap me for the first.
    Huh. Neat.
  • edited May 2016
    Dunn said:
    Had a thought session with Makarios on this one:

For 1v1, you want to optimise the execution of your limb setup, right? That means that your prep doesn't matter, really. In the case of a fire kill, you want to minimize your balance time on staff/scorch and staff/dehydrate. With diadem and nimble, I get EQ back .4s before I get balance back on staffstrike when I do staff/scorch. This means that I want to absolutely help my balance any way that I can. That's why nimble is a better choice for 1v1.

Groups are a different ball game, obv.
    This isn't necessarily accurate though, because staffstrike doesn't raise burn. If you are going for destroy, it's better to scorch as fast as you possibly can than to wait for balance, imo, if we're talking about completely optimizing. Comboing the two together is definitely faster with nimble and probably easier to use, but all the most important abilities are on eq.

When I was trying magi, my destroy setup involved more scorching than striking. Strike/scorch, scorch, strike/scorch, etc. If you do this QW is better, even in 1v1.

Aerek mentioned pummel too, which is also good for 1v1 and aided by faster deepfreeze.
  • I agree with the deep freeze and pummel logic. 

I dont agree with straight scorching and ignoring strike, though. You're removing a lot of secondary pressure (damage, threat of mangle) by not staff striking with scorch consistently. You start clipping staff strikes by doing it that way, which leads to the above loss of pressure. That pressure coupled with conflagrate is what gets a lot of kills without needing to destroy. Versus bad curing and reaction time, I would also agree that QW may be better for fire strategies, but you can't punish someone top prioritizing ablaze as well without consistent strikes. 

• I liked QW -because- of ablaze prio though. It's what allows you to destroy them while they are still off restoration balance. But I can see what you're saying with damage pressure + conflagrate + destroy burn req decreasing with lower health. It probably requires less precise timing your way too, which might ultimately make it less prone to error.

I was doing staff fire/scorch on leg apply + two more scorches + Inferno = destroy.
  • yea i don't have much luck with qw on ablaze prio because i've been doing staff combos. i can see where the error is, since scorch is mad fast. i honestly just pummel, or use ret/sleep locking. i'll experiment some more with alternating combos and scorches
  • Is there a gmcp tag for weaponmastery spec?
  • Yes. It's part of gmcp.Char.Vitals.charstats which is an array of strings. You want the entry that starts Spec.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    edited May 2016
    That's the only way I know to easily view, though. Be nice if SHOW had an option for it.

Actually, IDEA'd.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Did I miss changes to endurance costs? I have a ring of endurance and have never seen my endurance drop this low, I'm at 63% after an hour of low impact hunting with a protege...
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Xaden said:
    Did I miss changes to endurance costs? I have a ring of endurance and have never seen my endurance drop this low, I'm at 63% after an hour of low impact hunting with a protege...
    New artifact broke it.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Bugged? or intentional?

• It's a bug.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Phew.

Would hate to have to work sleeping into my hunting schedule.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Xaden said:
    Did I miss changes to endurance costs? I have a ring of endurance and have never seen my endurance drop this low, I'm at 63% after an hour of low impact hunting with a protege...
    There's a news post where there are now a level 2 willpower and endurance regen artefact options available. That's probably why.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Ah, nevermind. If it's a bug. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it was altered to make the new artefacts more useful.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• edited May 2016
    Well, I abuse the shit out of my willpower, so I would imagine the level two willpower arte would go on the shopping list if the lvl1 wasn't do the trick. But if I now have to get level 1 willpower  and level 2 endurance just to hunt at my old rate, to get less gold (cos RIP corpse hand-ins), I'd be particularly peeved.

ETA : So here's hoping it is indeed a bug.

• Fixed, when we updated the endurance artefact to have a second level some people's level 1 instances didn't get converted.