The war is on!

Comments

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    i tried it once, never played a MUD so badly designed
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    I won't lie, I don't understand how it works... In Out? Wat? whatever. We'll be top of the list.
  • in is the number of votes, out is the number of clicks
  • It might just be me but quoting reviews like that has always seemed tacky. I know next to nothing about a Total PC Gaming Magazine, but Wikipedia tells me they gave a perfect score to Fallout 3 - a game that kind of bored me! Clearly, their tastes do not match up with mine!
  • edited December 2013
    Nim said:

It might just be me but quoting reviews like that has always seemed tacky. I know next to nothing about a Total PC Gaming Magazine, but Wikipedia tells me they gave a perfect score to Fallout 3 - a game that kind of bored me! Clearly, their tastes do not match up with mine!

Leave.

Agreed that a review should be a closing statement at the most for your bio, not the only statement. Get on it, Tekkers!
  • Just saying, but some of those things are really debatable, heh
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • Mannimar said:
    they own this top site... 
    That is correct. Before it was bought, we were #1 for many years. Very soon after it was bought by Aardwolf's owner, Aardwolf moved into the #1 spot, pretty much permanently. That isn't evidence of cheating, per se, but it's a coincidence(?) that many people have noted. Nothing to be done really though - it's his site, and he can do with it what he chooses.
  • Yeah, been meaning to change the description for awhile.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    edited December 2013
    I agree with the spells, because honestly how often should immunity count as a spell?

The cities, Religions,City Wars all seem more appealing.

Mannimar said:
    New description is up:

High-fantasy, original codebase, full-time professional staff. Roleplaying backed by strong mechanics in a player-run world. Become a Dragon, dominate our legendary PvP, sail the high seas, get rich through trade and crafting, lead a religion, and more.

I think it's better, but it just doesn't catch my attention like it could.... this isn't perfect, but I would do:

In this player-led world of political intrigue and conflict you can become a fearsome Dragon, a legendary fighter, or dominate a city's politics. Crafters compete for riches, pirates haunt the high seas, while religions clash for superiority. All in an original high-fantasy world run by a full-time professional staff. How will you be immortalized?

I'm betting there's a character limit, isn't there? If so I just went over it.
    for that desc, we should force them to raise the character limit

• @Sarapis: Is there a reason that only the one site is used? Aren't there other sites on which we could vote?
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • Mannimar said:
    New description is up:

High-fantasy, original codebase, full-time professional staff. Roleplaying backed by strong mechanics in a player-run world. Become a Dragon, dominate our legendary PvP, sail the high seas, get rich through trade and crafting, lead a religion, and more.

I think it's better, but it just doesn't catch my attention like it could.... this isn't perfect, but I would do:

In this player-led world of political intrigue and conflict you can become a fearsome Dragon, a legendary fighter, or dominate a city's politics. Crafters compete for riches, pirates haunt the high seas, while religions clash for superiority. All in an original high-fantasy world run by a full-time professional staff. How will you be immortalized?

I'm betting there's a character limit, isn't there? If so I just went over it.
    I'm not sure. Something like that may sound better, but its current description actually tells me a bit more feature-wise, while yours mainly describes the setting.
  • @Iocun Really? The only thing omitted was "original codebase" and "strong mechanics". I hit on each feature and tried to make it hit home a bit more. I'm not saying it's perfect, or even good... I just think it's a step in the right direction for selling Achaea's environment and features.
  • What I mean: 

When we read something like "pirates haunt the high seas" or "religions clash for superiority", we can't tell at all what that means gameplay-wise. Are we referring to bashing areas where we can kill pirate mobs and religious fanatics? Quests where we can help one religion or another depending on whom we bring the Sacred Lost Chalice to, that we found in the Granite Hills? Or maybe the pirates and religion wars are even just part of the general game backstory that we can read about and hear about, but not even take a part in.

When we read "become a fearful fighter", we can't tell if that means "slay tons of npcs", "be great at killing people by having a higher level than them", "RP a fighter by writing a muscular character description and emoting a lot", or "master a deep and complex PvP system".

We know the setting of the game, but we don't know anything about the actual playing experience, and it's mainly the latter that makes me want to play a game. We can't tell if Achaea is mainly an RP sandbox where most of the action happens through emoting, or perhaps a hack-and-slay game with barely any RP at all, as the description might fit pretty much any type of game. The current description on the site also doesn't tell us incredibly much about the actual gameplay, but it tells us a bit more.
  • You have a point, I wrote that at 4 am though... my intention was that we can get just as informative while having a better delivery.
  • I honestly think it's fine as-is. The prose may not be the best in the world, but it explains Achaea pretty well in three brief sentences. Succinctness is more important than some people realize.

Only thing I'd personally remove is the dragon bit - makes it feel like it might have engaging dragon gameplay when it's really just a flavorful bonus class.

• Nim said:

Only thing I'd personally remove is the dragon bit - makes it feel like it might have engaging dragon gameplay when it's really just a flavorful bonus class.

Solution: add engaging dragon gameplay.

Plz? :(
  • edited December 2013
    Boosteya said:
    @Sarapis: Is there a reason that only the one site is used? Aren't there other sites on which we could vote?
    There's TMC.

Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Anyone notice that aardwolf is almost always at a 50% higher number than Achaea, no matter what our score seems to be? I've been noticing that for awhile now. Maybe when it gets reset I'll see if I'm wrong.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
    they could have a special coding to make that happen!

• I'm convinced that the vote for Achaea button also gives a vote to aadwolf, and really they only have about 500 votes for them, because the gap is regularly consistent 
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Quazzi said:
    I'm convinced that the vote for Achaea button also gives a vote to aadwolf, and really they only have about 500 votes for them, because the gap is regularly consistent 
    I was thinking that too.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• @Sarapis looks like it's time to make our own topmudsite, but let's have it be fair.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • there is fluctuation in Aardwolf's lead, but it still seems really sketch. The way I was thinking about going about about proving it would be to get a bunch of us to vote immediately after the reset and see if Aardwolf's goes up by a similar rate

• @Nakari that would be an interesting experiment, yeah.