Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Clothing/worn item position lines

DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember, Secret Squirrel Posts: 5,737 @@ - Legendary Achaean
Just wanted to toss a quick idea out that would make clothing a lot more immersive.

Allow a position description to be given when WEARing any normal piece of clothing. Something like "WEAR pendant12345 wrapped about his wrist". This would then show up in a person's description as the normal clothes line, followed by the position description. See the following:

He is a winged atavian standing at five feet, ten inches tall with a lithe frame and slender figure. You should probably actually look at him in-game.
He is wearing:
 a fire pendant [wrapped about his wrist],
 a long, tight black leather coat with cobalt trim [with the sleeves rolled up],
 a suit of leather armour,
 a sailor's kitbag [slung over his right shoulder],
 a Mayan ring,
 a plain gold ring,
 a silver ring of meditation,
 a bone ring with a magic rune,
 a bone ring with an icewall rune,
 a pair of reinforced black leather trousers,
 a silver-banded scabbard [attached firmly to his belt],
 dusty boots of supple brown leather, and
 an onyx pendant [wrapped about the top of his scabbard].

Obviously, the [] would not be visible ingame (though an option in CONFIG could be added to allow this for people who do not want the original clothing short-descriptions tampered with in any way). Hopefully that demonstrates adequately what I am trying to suggest - a simple and straightforward way of introducing further customisation opportunities.
:pleased::pleased:
NimThaumasMelodieJozlynIocunIsaiahSkyeKyrraTreySynbiosVerilyTrillianaTarausAmarillysVesiosSaurroceneTeghaineShimiSirrionHalosElipiseVirgoBannTorinn

Comments

• NimNim Member Posts: 2,015 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I'd personally prefer an indicator (like brackets), but that's because I already have scripts to reformat people's worn stuff to make it easier for me to read. (Alternating colors for each item, highlighting common item name keywords)
  • ThaumasThaumas Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Real test: what would Taraus look like with that? With 'type MORE', I approve.
    Herenicus
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess BellatereMember, Seafaring Liason Posts: 2,396 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited November 2013
    There was a Logosmas item last year, the silver bells that had that kind of wearable position thing going on. But where you wore it (around your neck/wrist/in your hair) was randomised and came with reactions. I paid like 150 credits to have it customised from silver to bronze and alter the reactions but I didn't specify that I wanted to be able to wear the bells in specific positions (which I think would have cost me even more) so a bit of randomness was retained.

Dug up the email for your reference (so it is doable at this point, it's just not cheap haha):

Skyepie <skyepie@gmail.com>     Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 12:30 AM
    To: customisations@achaea.com

I'd like to customise the new jingling bells item (e.g. bells257893), but due to the pre-existing reactions already available with the item, I'm wondering how the customisation would be charged.

Obviously I'd be paying for resetting + custom desc, but what about the reactions?

There's a different message depending on the body part:

You drape some jingling bells around your neck.

You carefully wind some jingling bells around your wrist.

You wind some jingling bells artfully through your hair.

In addition to that, there is a removal message:

Your jingling bells ring merrily as you remove them.

Would I have to pay for every changed reaction? The worn messages aren't as big a problem I think, but I really don't want my bells to be ringing merrily every time I take them off. It sounds a bit too festive for normal use.

Alternatively, would I be charged for opting to have some of those worn options removed? They are randomised, so it'd be kind of annoying to have to remove and re-wear them until I get them worn the way I want.

thanks and regards,
    Jolyn (Skye)

Achaea Customisations <customisations@achaea.com>     Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 6:01 AM
    To: Skyepie <skyepie@gmail.com>

Hi there! We can disable the reactions on the customised bells for no cost, but that would disable all of them. If you would like to keep some of the reactions but not all, you would need to purchase them as new ones. So, for instance, if you want only the worn reaction for around the wrist, and the reaction to shaking/ringing the bells, that would be 50 credits.  Let me know if you have any other questions!

--
    Best,
    Achaea Customisations
    http://www.achaea.com
    --Replies should include previous correspondence--

EilonaTrillianaBluef
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy WindMember, Seafaring Liason Posts: 887 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Yes. How did I miss this initially? This is such a fantastic idea, and allows for so much in-depth char development & personality, and likewise initial visible impact. Yes so hard, make it a thing, please.

Also musing this, I feel like there are two options - either a much narrower/shorter version of the 'pose' system, that allows individuals to specifically manipulate (within reason, length, given constraints) worn items to add unique flair

OR

An actual, hard-coded method, which isn't given the full breadth of Daeir's initial suggestion (and wouldn't include augmenting already existing items (ie pendant on scabbard) but still giving allowance to designate WHERE we want to wear specific items on our person - right/left shoulder, right/left wrist, waist, right/left hip, etc.

SybillaBluefShirszaeBann
  • AmarillysAmarillys Member Posts: 797 @ - Epic Achaean
    Yes please.

• TrillianaTrilliana Member Posts: 1,968 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I IDEA'd a while back to be able to specify how you're wearing a flower. And I'd love to be able to specify where my bells are worn instead of having to remove and rewear until they're where I want them. So yes please!
    meh

BluefPrythe
  • SarapisSarapis Member, Administrator Posts: 3,379 Achaean staff
    I know you mean well, but please IDEA things rather than bumping year+ old threads and asking whether they'll be implemented or not. The idea command is literally there for that.
  • TherisTheris Member Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited January 2015
    Sarapis said:
    I know you mean well, but please IDEA things rather than bumping year+ old threads and asking whether they'll be implemented or not. The idea command is literally there for that.
    Could we get a pinned post in this forum section with some pointers that explain when it would be better to use the IDEA command in-game than post our ideas here? I know that would certainly help me out, and it would probably be very helpful to newer players and forum-goers.
  • SarapisSarapis Member, Administrator Posts: 3,379 Achaean staff
    Sure, good call, @Theris
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember, Secret Squirrel Posts: 5,737 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    You submit the idea #1891 'Add a "position" argument when wearing clothes that alters how they are displayed when the player is LOOKed at by 
    others. WEAR CLOAK192124 *thrown over his left shoulder would show up when LOOKed as: He is wearing, a dusty old cloak thrown over his left 
    shoulder. Add an additional CONFIG command that encases the position lines in square brackets for clarity's sake if required.' for review.
    ShirszaeTristynTrilliana
  • TristynTristyn Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    edited January 2015
    Here is what this would look like, according to another game I play (Yes, it does look like a cluster f*ck of items, but I swear everything I'm wearing has good stats) :

Focus on results and you'll never see progress. Focus on progress and you'll see results.
    PrytheTrillianaValaria
  • TibithaTibitha Member Posts: 742 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited January 2015
    In that format (assuming set worn slots) it can also allows worn items to be ordered in some way. The current random ordering irks me (though not enough to go to the effort of putting them on in the right order) :smiley: 

Side rave: the bells, being able to wear them in my hair was awesome! 
    TristynTrillianaShimi
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!Member Posts: 3,107 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    how would you handle artifacts though? For example, those with the strength gauntlets and the harvesting/extracting gloves can wear the at the same time (but apparently only if you wear the gauntlets first, might be the other way around, idk) I see this clashing with that setup
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• ShirszaeShirszae Caer WitrinMember Posts: 2,656 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Not really. Just make artefacts not occupy a normal clothing slot.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• KyrraKyrra Sanctum of the SkyMember Posts: 4,082 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    @Tharvis, gauntlets need to be on first or it doesn't want to cooperate.

As a side note, I've no idea if gloves of Harvesting and Extracting can be worn at the same time either :/
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• TarausTaraus The Gypsy WindMember, Seafaring Liason Posts: 887 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Tibitha said:
    In that format (assuming set worn slots) it can also allows worn items to be ordered in some way. The current random ordering irks me (though not enough to go to the effort of putting them on in the right order) :smiley: 

Side rave: the bells, being able to wear them in my hair was awesome! 
    fyi (if I understand your gripe correctly), the ordering isn't quite 'random', but is determined by position in inventory, which is dictated by WHEN the item appeared in your inventory. I'm very, very particular about item appearance order, and actually went so far as to write a script that removes, drops, picks up & rewears items accordingly. (because nothing ever made me wheeze so hard as suffering a time warp, and finding out ALL OF MY WORN SHIT HAD REARRANGED ITSELF, DEAR GOD WHY)

TrillianaShimi
  • ShirszaeShirszae Caer WitrinMember Posts: 2,656 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    ...Sounds like a neat script. Share plz? 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

Shimi
    ... maybe 'script' is too reaching of a word, it's just a few aliases that handle the (currently 52) worn items I contend with, and they're done by unique item #.

• AmarillysAmarillys Member Posts: 797 @ - Epic Achaean
    Taraus said:
    ... maybe 'script' is too reaching of a word, it's just a few aliases that handle the (currently 52) worn items I contend with, and they're done by unique item #.
    You wear -SO- much stuff... I'd be wearing like... three things if it wasn't for my class needing to wield a bunch of other stuff. >_<

• TectonTecton The Garden of the GodsAdministrator Posts: 2,469 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Daeir said:
    Message #2937       Sent by Achaea
    1/27/16:05 Your idea #1891 (Add a "position" argument when wearing clothes that alters how they are displayed when the player is LOOKed at 
    by others. WEAR CLOAK192124 *thrown over his left shoulder would show up when LOOKed as: He is wearing, a dusty old cloak thrown over his 
    left shoulder. Add an additional CONFIG command that encases the position lines in square brackets for clarity's sake if required.) has been 
    approved for implementation.

WE DID IT GUYS
    We'll take a look into how viable it is, no promises!
    TrillianaRenoirBann
  • NimNim Member Posts: 2,015 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Tecton said:
    The fairy lied, she also called you fat.
    was that a lie too? how can we trust anything she says! also what if the fairy was a boy :c
    Trilliana
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember, Secret Squirrel Posts: 5,737 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Tecton said:
    The fairy lied, she also called you fat.
    CAN'T TRUST THEM FRACKIN FAIRIES GOD DAMNIT
    Jeslyn
  • HalosHalos Member Posts: 1,390 @@ - Legendary Achaean
     I never knew I wanted this and didn't know it was ever approved but @Nicola pls

Tahquil
  • NicolaNicola Administrator Posts: 474 Achaean staff
    It's definitely not on any of the short lists, but I can't say that when time allows we won't look at this and see if it's doable.

Still no promises.
Sign In to Comment.