Miscellaneous Maths/Testing II

Comments

• Sena said:
    Tested kai choke a bit, it looks like it's simply 25% of max health (before int bonus and other modifiers).

I'm not 100% certain, though. Seeing choke at 12 int without a scimitar would help a lot.
    Wait why choke and scimitars?
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • I meant the Scimitar of Yen-Sorte, the city improvement that increases damage against adventurers.
  • I'd like to test algiz for non-runelorists, if anyone wants to sketch one for me.
  • edited March 2013
    So, despite what announce 3587 says, algiz is still 10% resistance for both runelorists and non-runelorists.

Also, falling from the sky deals blunt damage, 200 + 33% of max health. This is useful for testing things because it can be done completely by yourself, and the room in Nuskuwe that throws you out into the Granite Hills lets you fall even if you can't fly on your own.
  • There was a recent change that gave all denizen limb-breaking attacks a line like "Your <limb> breaks with a loud crack." At the same time, it seems that mending was changed to not cure crippled limbs in a specific order (as opposed to the old right leg, left leg, right arm, left arm). From what testing I've done, it looks like untargeted mending still cures legs before arms, but neither untargeted or targeted cures the sides in any particular order. Restoration appears to be unchanged.
  • I wouldn't assume that any of those things are definite changes. There were a lot of buggy side-effects to behind the scene changes recently, so chances are that some or all of these things are actually just bugs.
  • Well, it's hard to see how the added break lines could be a bug, but sure, the loss of a set mending order could be.
  • Are we still certain that stance makes no difference to blademaster damage to mobs?
  • Stance does matter against denizens now, it was fixed.
  • With that in mind, would I be right in saying that Sanya generates the most damage over time, followed by neutral stance?
  • There's a lot of data on blademaster stances at the top of this page and the end of the previous page. Basically though, for DPS Arash>Sanya>unstanced>Thyr>Doya>Mir
  • Sena said:
    There's a lot of data on blademaster stances at the top of this page and the end of the previous page. Basically though, for DPS Arash>Sanya>unstanced>Thyr>Doya>Mir
    Thyr and Doya are essentially the same DPS. Thyr is slightly more with my best fit numbers for the times, but the uncertainties are pretty large.
  • edited April 2013
    Sena said:
    So, despite what announce 3587 says, algiz is still 10% resistance for both runelorists and non-runelorists.
    An update on this:
    Your bug report (detail: algiz gives the same (10%) damage reduction for both runelorists and non-runelorists, despite announce 3587 saying that it was reduced for non-runelorists.) - has been removed because it is not a bug (usually meaning that this is the way things are intended to be). Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or misunderstanding that may be involved. The following notes were included: It is the same reduction if that's your only defence, but algiz stacks differently with other defences for non-runelore users than it does for runelore users.

I'm somewhat confused on this, since it doesn't seem consistent with previous changes to resistance stacking.
  • Sena said:
    Sena said:
    An update on this:
    Your bug report (detail: algiz gives the same (10%) damage reduction for both runelorists and non-runelorists, despite announce 3587 saying that it was reduced for non-runelorists.) - has been removed because it is not a bug (usually meaning that this is the way things are intended to be). Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or misunderstanding that may be involved. The following notes were included: It is the same reduction if that's your only defence, but algiz stacks differently with other defences for non-runelore users than it does for runelore users.

I'm somewhat confused on this, since it doesn't seem consistent with previous changes to resistance stacking.
    I know it's come up from time to time, but I've never been entirely clear on resistance stacking. Resistances generally stack multiplicitavely? Additively? Some of each with no rhyme or reason?
  • I'm not sure how everything works now. This latest response could suggest that there have been some unannounced changes to how things stack.

Going by the announced changes though:

Back in 2006 (announce 2226), algiz and other defences that can be given to people of any class were changed so that they stack differently (multiplicatively after other defences, which mostly stacked additively) as non-class defences. So algiz was made less effective for non-runelorists, even though it still gave 10% resistance.

Then in 2007 (announce 2681), nearly every defence, regardless of class, was changed to stack multiplicatively. Presumably, this made algiz for runelorists and non-runelorists equal again, because it no longer stacked additively with other resistances for runelorists.

Now, apparently algiz was somehow changed to stack in a way that results in less resistance than stacking multiplicatively. I can't think of how that might have been done, though. Unless there were unannounced changes to resistance stacking, so it wasn't already stacking multiplicatively.

I plan on testing algiz and other resistance stacking when I get a chance, to see how it actually works now.
  • * INFUSEFIRE will now do additional damage to adventurers who are 
    already ablaze. 

Anyone have the numbers on the additional damage?
  • EldEld
    edited April 2013
    Naisar said:
    * INFUSEFIRE will now do additional damage to adventurers who are 
    already ablaze. 

Anyone have the numbers on the additional damage?
    Looks to be variable. Extra damage seems to come whenever the fire affliction procs, with an extra line,
        The flame-wreathed blade further scorches your flesh.

On a drawslash that was doing 740 to me fire infused but not ablaze (max health 5287, trans thermology, no other fire resistances), the extra damage boosted it to 837 sometimes and 1137 other times. So that's on the order of 20% or 50% of the normal damage, or an extra 2.5% or 7.5% of my max health. Will test a little more when I get a chance.

With a bit more testing, I think the 837 hits on those tests may have been when I caught a boar tick. Testing with balanceslashing myself off rebounding, normal fire infused damage with 5287 health was 452, with the extra damage was 849 (so 397 extra damage, same as in the other test). With 5596 max health, still 452 base, 873 with the extra (so 421 extra, still around 7.5% of my max, but not as exact). Would be worth testing on someone without Thermology, though.
  • Appreciate it, thanks.
  • So I've been trying to think of a way to test the effect of the aim-to-kill trait, and thought I'd see if anyone has better ideas for how to do so. From the description of the trait and the Tecton's answer about it in the last "Ask your producer" thread, it seems like there should be a parameter to find: without it, crits do base*2^n damage with n=1...5, and with it they do base*2^n*(1+a). So I'd be wanting to find a reasonable estimate of a.

The idea I've come up with so far is to figure out, as accurately as I can, the max hp of some set of denizens, then take the trait, and track crits per kill over a reasonable sample of kills, and do some sort of least-squares fit (or whatever ends up making the most sense, haven't thought too hard about that part yet) to find that parameter a. Currently, I'm attempting to determine hp of denizens by counting hits to kill one of each of them, with various combinations of strength, stance, and band, which seems to be sufficient to determine it within around 100 points.

So my questions are:
    Does anyone see a problem with this method, other than the tedium, or have a better idea?
    Does anyone have suggestions for better ways to determine denizen health?
    Does anyone have suggestions for ways to extract an estimate of a from the data described?
  • edited April 2013
    I don't see a problem with it. Make sure that the max health is reliable, though. I know different denizens of the same name often have different health, and it's possible that even with the same denizen the max health will vary.

Finding max health to within 100 points can be done easily (if it's static) by killing the denizen once (unless you finish them with a crit) as a sentinel/serpent with scratch/sumac (100 damage attacks that can't miss). I can't think of any weaker attacks that won't miss constantly. Edit: Weariness might reduce scratch to 70 damage. Not sure if it has any effect on damage against denizens.
  • Sena said:
    I don't see a problem with it. Make sure that the max health is reliable, though. I know different denizens of the same name often have different health, and it's possible that even with the same denizen the max health will vary.

Finding max health to within 100 points can be done easily (if it's static) by killing the denizen once (unless you finish them with a crit) as a sentinel/serpent with scratch/sumac (100 damage attacks that can't miss). I can't think of any weaker attacks that won't miss constantly. Edit: Weariness might reduce scratch to 70 damage. Not sure if it has any effect on damage against denizens.
    Hm, that's an interesting thought. I'd been planning to do this on Eld, which would leave me with drawslash and gut (and, I suppose, brawling). I've actually managed to narrow a few down to within 5-10 points, and one to a specific number. I might have to think a bit about how many I'll need to be able to get a reasonable estimate of the effect of the trait.
  • Well, with some initial testing, it looks like Aim to Kill increases critical hit damage by something between 4.5% and 6.7%. I should be able to narrow that down further a bit later.
  • Eld said:
    Well, with some initial testing, it looks like Aim to Kill increases critical hit damage by something between 4.5% and 6.7%. I should be able to narrow that down further a bit later.
    With a little more testing, looks like somewhere between 4.51% and 4.74%. The scripts I've got tracking the appropriate numbers and updating that range will keep going, but I'm going to figure .1% precision is good enough for government work and not actively work on tightening it up.
  • Does that information allow an idea of at what point Aim to Kill becomes better for DPS than Lucky? The perceived wisdom is that Lucky creates more damage until a given level, no?
  • Kuruvar said:
    Does that information allow an idea of at what point Aim to Kill becomes better for DPS than Lucky? The perceived wisdom is that Lucky creates more damage until a given level, no?
    Yes, but I haven't done the calculations yet. I've got most of the machinery in place and will likely post something about it soonish, when I have more time.
  • edited May 2013
    Just looking at average damage (which is only good as a very rough estimate of actual effectiveness), and assuming between 4.5% and 5% for Aim to Kill and between 0.8% and 1% for Lucky, Aim to Kill is basically never better than Lucky.

If you look at more than just average damage, that pushes it even further in favour of lucky. For the strongest criticals (which is where Aim to Kill makes the biggest difference), increased damage is often pointless because it will likely do enough damage to finish whatever you're attacking without the bonus. And if you're fighting something really strong that will survive 16x or 32x damage, you'll probably want more frequent criticals rather than slightly boosted critical damage.

There are very specific cases where Aim to Kill is significantly better, but only when your attack damage and the denizen's health matches up just right and you have a good crit rate, so the damage bonus lets you frequently kill something one hit faster. That's too situational to take up a major trait slot for though, when Lucky is always useful.
  • EldEld
    edited May 2013
    So I did a little simulation, randomly generating a bunch of crits and seeing how many attacks it took on average to kill a denizen for a given crit rate and denizen health, with and without lucky and aim to kill. As expected, lucky gives a pretty consistent improvement (from about .5% to about 1% decrease in attacks per kill going from level 70 to 99, assuming a .5% bonus for lucky). Aim to kill, as Sena suggested, gives a much larger benefit (as much as 4-5%) for denizens that take just more than an integer number of attacks to kill, but gives very little benefit otherwise.
    Somewhat surprisingly, though, aim to kill seems to win on average above about level 80, with about twice the effect at 99. But that's assuming a random distribution of target healths to do the average. Since you'll usually tend to kill a lot of the same things, and most things probably won't have max health right in the sweet spot for aim to kill, you may have to average over a very long time of bashing a wide variety of places to see that average benefit.
    Here are a couple plots to illustrate (because everyone likes plots, right?).
    [spoiler]
    This one shows the effects of the two as a function of target health/attack damage, assuming level 99 with no other crit bonuses.
    [/spoiler]
    [spoiler]
    And here are the effects as a function of level. For this one, the target health used for each kill is drawn from a uniform distribution on [4,20) (again, in units of attack damage), which should do a decent job of averaging over the spikes seen in the previous plot. I might make a version of this one with a larger sample a bit later and see if smaller error bars bring out anything more useful.
    [/spoiler]
  • Impressive simulations, slightly off topic but a simple yes/no from an intelligent Achaean will suffice.

Does increases in the skill weaponry adversely affect the to hit/speed/damage percentages on attacks like dstab and garrote?

Did not want to make a separate thread for this.

I appreciate the response

• EldEld
    edited May 2013
    Nosrac said:

Impressive simulations, slightly off topic but a simple yes/no from an intelligent Achaean will suffice.

Does increases in the skill weaponry adversely affect the to hit/speed/damage percentages on attacks like dstab and garrote?

Did not want to make a separate thread for this.

I appreciate the response

AFAIK, dstab doesn't miss or do damage, and its speed is only affected by artefact dirks. Garotte is based on subterfuge skill and whip stats, unaffected by weaponry.

And by the way, there are also the Quick Questions and Quick Combat Questions threads for things like that.
  • Nosrac said:
    I don't know what you mean by "attacks like", but it won't affect dstab and garrote.