Multi-classing

As has been mentioned before, we are going to move towards a multi-classing model and I wanted to open a discussion on it to get a sense of players' thoughts on the subject in general.

First though, here's what multiclassing won't be:

• It will not involve simultaneously having the use of abilities from different classes. You won't be able to elephant morph, throw a few sidekicks, and cast firelash, and then phase. While that could be cool, the balance implications of making different classes work together like that are too horrible to contemplate.
  • It won't involve instant switching between classes. Now, switching might be very fast, but instant is out because while not as big a problem as simultaneously holding multiple classes, it'd still cause large problems.
  • When switching between classes, you will not keep defenses or entities/falcons/angels/vibes/etc. 
There's not much point in asking me, "Will multi-classing do X?" or "How will we deal with Y in multi-classing" because while we know multi-classing will exist within certain boundaries (including the ones above), we've not yet settled on a design for it.

That said, I just want to hear people's thoughts on what excites them about multi-classing: Why do you want to multi-class instead of, for instance, having 2 characters of different classes?

Comments

• "Why do you want to multi-class instead of, for instance, having 2 characters of different classes?"

The most obvious reason: So I can keep the huge credit investment in non-class skills and artefacts. Moving around without wings, celerity, dash, and warp once you're used to having them available is absolutely horrendous. I'm vaguely aware that before I had any of those things I somehow managed to survive, but I still often wonder how people live like that when world events remove those options.

Then there's the other benefit of being able to more easily find people of particular classes to test things out with as well as being able to switch to fit different roles in group combat when necessary. Essentially having more options, since that's never a bad thing.
  • edited October 2013
    Now I can make my monk/main bash until dragon. Then be my main/always wanted to try fun abilities class.

• I have a few alts running around, but do not really want to expand their live more than the class tests they were. 

I just hope there are some stipulations regarding which classes you can select (No Apostate to Cleric switching, Forestal to Alchemist)
  • What are the limitation going to be as far as how many classes you can multi-class as?  Will all class skills be opened up when you switch?   I'm intrigued.
  • One question I have is Embracing in multi-classing, do we wait to do it or can we do it immediately?

Also, some of us have alts for the other class we like to play. Will there be an option to kill the alt and give your main all its stuff?

I ask the second question because Multi-classing will kill alting for me personally ;-;

And finally classes where abilities can be taken, such as Apostate and Priest, and classes which are city reliant, Alchemist, I assume all of this will remain the same?
  • While I like the idea of multi-classing, I can't help but shake the feeling that it's bad for RP.

Jester-serpents, alchemist-bards, occultist-sentinels, infernal-shamans.

I'm one of those poor souls that think a character's personality and class should not conflict. Multi-classing is going to be a train wreck for that.
  • edited October 2013
    Well, what excites me about multi-classing is precisely the things it won't be. I love multi-classing a la DnD, not a la MKO. That's not trying to be petulant, it's a genuine attempt to be constructing. If multi-classing is essentially going to be making class changes non-permanent, I'll just stick to alting. Perhaps a more constructive way of saying what I like about 'multi-classing' is that it gives an exponential opportunity to customise/synergise/make a 'unique' character. 

Something that in some way gives you benefits of having more than one class is what would get me all excited in my pants. Just a couple examples of the type of thing I'm talking about (yes, all of which have horrible balance implications):

• Getting a 'buff' related to your second class. So, Bard pays the extortionate rate required to achieve Runewarden secondary. This allows switching between the two, and when Bard, you get a little extra health.
    • Having a few abilities that are kept when you switch between your classes. Literally maybe just one, and restricted where sensible. So Bard-cum-Priest, whilst Bard, gets to use a healing spell, but Apostate-cum-Priest cannot.
    Second one shouldn't be horrendously difficult to balance, tbh. I mean, worse happened with embers, and it's not like that broke the ga- owait >_<

ETA: Can we PLEASE have a soft cap on the number of classes, in the same fashion as has been done with languages? I already find omni-trans to be fairly obnoxious, omni-class would make me want to start kicking kittens.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Sarapis said:

That said, I just want to hear people's thoughts on what excites them about multi-classing: Why do you want to multi-class instead of, for instance, having 2 characters of different classes?

Don't want to bash to dragon again
  • edited October 2013
    Simoln said:
    While I like the idea of multi-classing, I can't help but shake the feeling that it's bad for RP. Jester-serpents, alchemist-bards, occultist-sentinels, infernal-shamans. I'm one of those poor souls that think a character's personality and class should not conflict. Multi-classing is going to be a train wreck for that.
    I agree that a character's personality and class should not conflict. Your character should have an IC reason for being a member of a certain class, after all. But I believe multiclassing won't really have much of an effect on this. People already switch between classes now, and only in very few cases they actually accompany this by a change of their character's personality. In most cases they either switch between two classes which both make sense for their character in a way (which would be the same in multiclassing), or they simply disregard RP at all already, in which case they would continue to do so with multiclassing.

Sylvance said:
    ETA: Can we PLEASE have a soft cap on the number of classes, in the same fashion as has been done with languages? I already find omni-trans to be fairly obnoxious, omni-class would make me want to start kicking kittens.
    Very much agreed on this. Housed characters will have that limit imposed on them by default of course, but that doesn't apply to rogues. One danger of multiclassing is that it might promote rogue characters, due to them having no such limitations, so I definitely agree that there should be a cap, hard or soft.
  • Simoln said:
    While I like the idea of multi-classing, I can't help but shake the feeling that it's bad for RP.

Jester-serpents, alchemist-bards, occultist-sentinels, infernal-shamans.

I'm one of those poor souls that think a character's personality and class should not conflict. Multi-classing is going to be a train wreck for that.
    Alright giving this much thought, and editing myself many times. I have come to the conclusion that, I disagree that most classes conflict. Some surely do Infernal/Paladin, Apostate/Priest, and these can probably be controlled by having a person have to multi-class in Mhaldor or Targossas through a trainer or something, where both are enemies to one another.

Than there are those who have some of the same abilities Druid/Sylvan/Sentinel, Sylvan/Magi, Jester/Shaman, Infernal/Apostate, Runewarden/Shaman. These classes are already sort of "dabbling" in the other class so there is little reason why their personalities would conflict. I mean RP wise a sylvan only needs to learn metamorphosis and than they are the same class already, there is little difference between them.
  • To those of you asking questions about multi-classing: I generally can't answer because, as I said in my OP, I don't know yet!
  • Chord said:
    Achimrst said:
    Also, some of us have alts for the other class we like to play. Will there be an option to kill the alt and give your main all its stuff?
    I really hope that we have the option to consolidate our characters at a portion of the lesson/credit worth. Obviously, herbs and adventurer bought items should be lost, but I know I have alts that I regret buying an artefact/etc because I never play them.
    I would prefer we just respect HELP SECONDS. You already can't, say, suicide an alt and transfer its artefacts to your main. Why should the introduction of multiclass change that?

• Sarapis said:

I already have two characters, seems to be working for me honestly.  Although I have time to invest in it, for those who don't it would probably suck badly. Also being more than one class could help to develop characters into not being basic steriotypes of what X class should be, within reason of course.

Sarapis said:
    Character consolidation will definitely not be happening. 

Alright, can't say I didn't succeed in getting more info :P
    (╯° _°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Muahahahahahaha!
  • @Sarapis it's not a matter of class dictating personality, so much as it is personality coinciding with the class. You met two pilots with different personality types, but neither were afraid of flying. In the same regard, should a bard be anti-social and cooped up in an alchemy lab? Should a sword-swinging knight conjure holocaust globes?

Like Melodie said, I'm afraid it'll hurt class identity more than Iocun's class-hoppers already do.

Obviously it's on the players to not be ridiculous with their character development, but still something to consider.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited October 2013
    Simoln said:
     should a bard be anti-social and cooped up in an alchemy lab? 
    What makes you think that a bard can't be anti-social? Just because he likes singing, music, and art, doesn't mean he necessarily has to be a crowd-loving person.

Also, love all of @Triak's ideas, but definitely no to multiclassing being only for dragons.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Shirszae said:
    Simoln said:
     should a bard be anti-social and cooped up in an alchemy lab? 
    What makes you think that a bard can't be anti-social? Just because he likes singing, music, and art, doesn't mean he necessarily has to be a crowd-loving person.
    Or, what makes people in alchemy labs anti-social?  I mean, I've met a whole lot of people who work in labs who are the exact opposite of anti-social, some of them to the point of being crazy loud drunks.  Profession stereotypes might exist, but they are not an accurate representation of that profession's whole populace. 
  • You might be missing my point there...
  • That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying it wouldn't make sense for you to run a text game company and sit behind a computer all day if you hated computers.
This discussion has been closed.