Grook special mount option

I'm not sure if this is an option currently (being a new player and all) but with the grook racial abilities could there be a consideration for seafaring/underwater mounts such as sharks, dolphins, or similar creatures. You could "port" these mounts like a ship and use them for sea travel, and underwater travel. Just an idea.
Just a Grook, member of House Mojushai and proud citizen of Cyrene.

- 2013/09/14 10:48:03 - Yxty says, "I will think about that while i punch this sheep."

Comments

• Phraag said:
    I'm not sure if this is an option currently (being a new player and all) but with the grook racial abilities could there be a consideration for seafaring/underwater mounts such as sharks, dolphins, or similar creatures. You could "port" these mounts like a ship and use them for sea travel, and underwater travel. Just an idea.

Well, if these mounts cost around 1.5 million gold or so, are unable to have extra rooms or weapons added to it, you might make a case here. Since there are already player-owned ships and all...(HELP SHIPS)

• For the record, I asked the admins for a mystical flying dolphin that I could ride on as a invincible pet, and they said no.

• Synbios said:
    Phraag said:

Well, if these mounts cost around 1.5 million gold or so, are unable to have extra rooms or weapons added to it, you might make a case here. Since there are already player-owned ships and all...(HELP SHIPS)
    I don't think you could add a room to a shark, but I'm sure it would be expensive to domesticate or make these creatures able to be ridden so I'm sure price would be high if not cost credits or something.

- 2013/09/14 10:48:03 - Yxty says, "I will think about that while i punch this sheep."
  • Phraag said:
    I don't think you could add a room to a shark, but I'm sure it would be expensive to domesticate or make these creatures able to be ridden so I'm sure price would be high if not cost credits or something.

The thing is - if you're looking to add a water-only mount, there's the fact that all other mounts can traverse water already, so an aquatic mount like a laser-shark would be far inferior to even a burro. Heck, even us non-mounties have waterwalking boots and waterbreathing herbs/minerals that allow us to do the same thing. 

Consider also that the fluidswim and the ability to not-drown in water are perks that are easily accessed to anyone with a minor investment in Survival. (I still envy your awesome in-water racial regen though)

Now if your idea is to allow for a purchaseable addon for ships to allow them to dive and surface like a submarine, now we're talking.Ships are fine.

• I thought you were gonna suggest grooks be able to hop onto their mounts, leapfrog-style.

The problem with this is that there aren't very many underwater areas, and they generally aren't connected to each other. When you do visit them, it tends to be for a relatively short period, and involves travelling through surface areas. If you wanted to go from Phereklos to Riparium you'd have to haul your shark/manta ray/dolphin/nautilus/narwhal overland to get there.

It is a cool idea but I don't see how it could work easily.
  • edited September 2013
    Ignore all of the jackassary - Bluj has pretty much nailed the problem with this. But, yes, it is an extremely cool idea. Frankly, I could see this working as an artefact (mountable) pet that you can summon to a water room, but I couldn't see it working as a mundane mount.

ETA: Just read the OP carefully: Hell no to sea travelling mounts.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited September 2013
    I thought you were gonna suggest grooks be able to hop onto their mounts, leapfrog-style.

The problem with this is that there aren't very many underwater areas, and they generally aren't connected to each other. When you do visit them, it tends to be for a relatively short period, and involves travelling through surface areas. If you wanted to go from Phereklos to Riparium you'd have to haul your shark/manta ray/dolphin/nautilus/narwhal overland to get there.

It is a cool idea but I don't see how it could work easily.
    I understand that, and try as I might to stay underwater I have to come to land sometimes. I was told I needed a boat to get to places in the sea and this was my idea to work around the problem, also to use a water mount instead of a ferry to get to and from islands.

Sylvance said:
    Ignore all of the jackassary - Bluj has pretty much nailed the problem with this. But, yes, it is an extremely cool idea. Frankly, I could see this working as an artefact (mountable) pet that you can summon to a water room, but I couldn't see it working as a mundane mount.
    Phraag said:
    ETA: Just read the OP carefully: Hell no to the bolded.

An artifact would be nice. I still like the sea travel thing though, I know it would conflict with all the work people put into getting a boat, but I'm not interested in a boat and enjoy the exploration aspect more than having to ride a boat around and having to hire a crew. I much prefer that I could get about the water easily even on mentioned mount idea so that I wouldn't have to dive off a ship, or worry about a drowning crew or something.

• edited September 2013
    Phraag said:
    An artifact would be nice. I still like the sea travel thing though, I know it would conflict with all the work people put into getting a boat, but I'm not interested in a boat and enjoy the exploration aspect more than having to ride a boat around and having to hire a crew. I much prefer that I could get about the water easily even on mentioned mount idea so that I wouldn't have to dive off a ship, or worry about a drowning crew or something.
    Were it just a matter of surviving over water, ships would've been obsolete years before they happened. Individual Achaeans can fly, there are waterwalking enchantments and flying mounts, fluidswim and prickly pear are exceedingly common, etc.

Those are all impossible on the high seas -- partly because of rough weather and storms and so forth, but mostly because the imagery of boarding a ship to a distant land is just really, really cool. Have you considered chartering passage? Riding a ship doesn't have to mean captaining one.

Phraag said:
    I understand that, and try as I might to stay underwater I have to come to land sometimes. I was told I needed a boat to get to places in the sea and this was my idea to work around the problem, also to use a water mount instead of a ferry to get to and from islands.

Probably not, for the reasons I stated above. Those ferrymen are the only ones who know the safe route, you see, and a lone grook cavalryman is sure to find death as he's bashed against the rocks by the tide.
  • I like the idea of a Grook cavalry. Frighting horde of Grook riding all sorts of sea-life charging across the ocean.

• Phraag said:
    I like the idea of a Grook cavalry. Frighting horde of Grook riding all sorts of sea-life charging across the ocean.
    And now I have inspiration for my next Bardic.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Aepas said:
    All I wanted were sharks with laser beams.
    I'd settle for mutated ill-tempered sea bass
  • they wont do this because if you could walk on the ocean you would move faster than a ship can, and they dont want that. 
  • TeghaineTeghaine Cape Town - South Africa - Africa (thatcontinentthatlookslikesouthamerica)
    Wysteria said:

I would do anything to own a mantis shrimp and have underwater duels with them. You's send earthquakes throughout the seabed - though i would have a feeling @Neraeos might say no. Nautilus would just be odd too for mounting unless you can hop in the shell...

"Aww, what a cute rainbow col-"
    "One two three Death!"
  • Wysteria said:
    I would do anything to own a mantis shrimp and have underwater duels with them. You's send earthquakes throughout the seabed - though i would have a feeling @Neraeos might say no. Nautilus would just be odd too for mounting unless you can hop in the shell...
    Mantis shrimp are creepy as hell.

Yes plz.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • TeghaineTeghaine Cape Town - South Africa - Africa (thatcontinentthatlookslikesouthamerica)
    edited October 2013
    Trevize said:

Wysteria said:

Mantis shrimp are creepy as hell.

Yes plz.

Creepy... Or kyute?
    Look at its razor sharp sharp bits that move so fast when it strikes that it can boil water...
    Aquariums don't keep them because they can beak the safety glass.
    And soooo pretty.

• They can but the tank has to be mylar/perspex so that it can bend Avatar style to not crack.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."