The Real Achaea

So, I am starting a bit of a project. I do love myself some writing and I'd be ever happy if other people would be willing to assist me in this endeavor.

I've always wanted to see achaea in a much more realistic light, though magic and all that is still present of course. But take a look at the things that are around, how would they play out in a more realistic setting?

I've imagine Occultists to be much rarer than they ever are, and they are always disguised as simple citizens. Magi are a reclusive bunch locked away with their tinkerings and enchantments yet when they come out they are a powerful force to behold. Apostates are despised and feared, and even laying eyes upon one is a bad omen. Even their fellow Mhaldorians get a chill up their spine in the presence of one.

There is a lot to play out with each of these roles, but no single person should ever be the focus of a world-building project. There are hundreds of millions of people in sapience, and us, the players, are the people of lore and legend. Stories are told about us, but we are never the main focus of the stories. In this world building exercise I think that many of my stories will be based around the random people you've never met, random NPC's and how they view the world.

So a few rules to hold dear. There is no time period, and some things might have never actually happened in game. For instance, The first short I am writing is simply a tavern scene in Hashan that involves the KOH and the Maldaathi. This takes place when Mhaldor and Hashan were allies of sorts and tolerated eachother's presence. The next story however, could take place in current day situations. It's important not to get too hung up on the timeline of things, but still maintain a decent amount of history.

If anyone would like to help me with this, writing, ideas, or would like to simply appear in a story or even have me write a small part of their characters life, contact me and we'll see what we can do.

Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

Well, one think that could help very much is  to take away people's penchant for returning to life. Make it so that heroes/adventurers are said to have been giften with extra-hardiness or something by the gods, but that once they die ,they really die.

Of course, this has the secondary effect of basically changing history a lot.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• It's not too bad of an issue. There is still a lot of magic in the world, I consider dying suffering a grievous wound, one that may lay up a person for several weeks and may only be healed by magical or divine means. Death is indeed permanent.
  • No experience here with creative writing but like you stated initially, I think a good way to start would be to keep to the preset ideas of how you think a person of a certain class should behave but maybe exaggerate what defines each faction a lot more than what currently exists in Achaea.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • When people die, they actually explode in a burst of smoke, leaving a log with the death-scars on it(split-open log for vivisect, blackened wood for holocaust, psychadelic-colored leaves if enlightened, etc).

Spoiler: Everyone's a ninja.

• Dont forget to include Chapel, it wouldn't be much of a story without him..

All I've had today are six gummy bears and some scotch
  • edited August 2013
    I've thought about this..in my dreams.. And I considered things like, sipping and the herbs, alot of the classes would have to be softened down..Chapel would sit on a throne, on the top of the mountain, waiting for the world to call on him. I wrote a little short story..I could show you sometime..its not bad. 

• Man, yeah, that Chapel guy is just totally amazing. This one time, he single-handedly defeated some ultimate evil called Bal'met or something, but he's such a nice guy that he let everyone else take the credit. I wish I was as humble and generous as him.

Also, he definitely has the coolest catchphrase of all time!
    ----------
    I play  -Enrai-  -Luhar-
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Enrai said:
    Man, yeah, that Chapel guy is just totally amazing. This one time, he single-handedly defeated some ultimate evil called Bal'met or something, but he's such a nice guy that he let everyone else take the credit. I wish I was as humble and generous as him. Also, he definitely has the coolest catchphrase of all time!
    Don't tell it like that, or he'll believe it himself 
    :-&

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Shirszae said:
    Enrai said:
    Man, yeah, that Chapel guy is just totally amazing. This one time, he single-handedly defeated some ultimate evil called Bal'met or something, but he's such a nice guy that he let everyone else take the credit. I wish I was as humble and generous as him. Also, he definitely has the coolest catchphrase of all time!
    Silly Bal'met, what was he thinking. 

I legitimately had a dream that Achaea was real, and @Okk had a twin brother and they were fighting over this staff, and @Flair was after some journal, I was trying to help him get it, and I had to jump into a lake, so I applied mass so it shot me down into the water, and then some crazy strong guy killed me in like 5 seconds, vitality and all..f**kin dream arty wh**es. That was last night, some imaginext thing was on the tv so I think that had something to do with it.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    No you cannot have Theodelina's journal.

Even if we hadn't burned it!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Chapel said:
    Shirszae said:
    Enrai said:
    Silly Bal'met, what was he thinking. 

I legitimately had a dream that Achaea was real, and @Okk had a twin brother and they were fighting over this staff, and @Flair was after some journal, I was trying to help him get it, and I had to jump into a lake, so I applied mass so it shot me down into the water, and then some crazy strong guy killed me in like 5 seconds, vitality and all..f**kin dream arty wh**es. That was last night, some imaginext thing was on the tv so I think that had something to do with it.
    Sorry about killing you, I couldn't let you have that book!
  • I'd imagine Serpents would be quite intimidating in such a story...

You could be having a meal with your House in the middle of your City one day, when out of nowhere a barrage of arrows fly in and kill someone. No traces.

I imagine Hitman-like stuff. Walking into your home and having yourself hoisted up into the air by a whip and strangled to death.
  • Just so anyone that was actually interested in this knows, it's not forgotten. I'm still actively working on it with a bunch of editors and the like. Thanks for all the support!