Denizen Targeting Script

Been contemplating posting this since it's incomplete on here, but everyone who has used it so far is satisfied for it, so here it is.

Current Version: 0.6

Features:

- Automatic targeting based on GMCP information sent by the server.
- Target priority based on name e.g. Mhun Keeper > Mhun Knight > Mhun Guard.
- Priority switching without hardcoding.
- Adding/Removing Denizens to the tables without hardcoding.

How to use:

When first installing the script, use the alias hinstall to install the script and you should be good to go.

Aliases:

hinstall - Installs the hunting script.
hunt on/off - Turns the script on and off.
hcc (chat) - Echo target to a chat, hcc toggles it back to echoing locally. Echo to party by doing hcc pt etc.
hecho - Turns off targeting echoing.
hload - Reloads the tables.
hsave - Saves the tables.
hshow - Shows the denizen table and priority from top to bottom with clickable buttons to enable/disable targeting and increase/lower priority.
hadd - Shows a table of denizens not currently added in the room on entry with buttons to add.
hremove - Shows the denizen table with buttons to remove the denizen from the table.

Requirements:

The variable name of your target is 'target'.

Donations are appreciated, but definitely not required.

Download Link:  http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/zga0ik6rg8cv7uw/Huntingv0.6.xml?dl=1

Hope you enjoy using the script, send feedback/bugs to Guhem and I'll do my best to fix them asap.

Feedback on code is also appreciated, all this was done for learning purposes.

Comments

• Quite well done, just finished up a quick run with it through Belladonas, to Isaia worked without a hitch. I enjoyed the fact that on some denizen's that move into the room even after I finished what was in the room, it'd target them on enter which was handy so I didn't some how miss them.

Only issues I did have which one was easily fixed and is a personal preference was, the targeting echoing back to myself, I didn't really see that I was changing targets or not, so I had to change it to something a bit more eye catching and notable.

Other qualm would be announcing to party would get a bit hectic due to all the announcing off the ID# for someone without a auto targeting of PT announcing, could always add that feature, to allow easier transition between hunting solo or groups.

Otherwise its a clear 4.8/5 in my books! Well done!
  • Thanks for the feedback on all of that, I'll change the echo calls for targeting to be more visible.

As for the PT announcing, there's really two ways that I'm thinking of that would be able to transition, one would be to call the next target in the list (problem with this would be the next target might change depending on if something with a higher priority walks in/walks out and you have two party tells per denizen kill) or having a complete general target for all the denizens in all the lists (big overhaul on the tables and script, not really much benefit)

Truthfully the easiest way for them to work with you would be to just grab a quick and dirty party target announcer. I'll see if I can come up with something else in regards to that though.
  • hm interesting. I've been working on someting similar as well, I'll ave a look and dissect it for my use later. (I can also provide my version for comparison, if you want.)

My version is incorporated into svo to not only target, but also keep attacking as long as something is in the room.

I for my part set it so I don't change the target, if something wit higher priority walks in, because especially in non-teaming areas you always only have one target you attack. But thst can also be personal preferences.

As for party targeting: You could fire an event when you change target, which can be caught by party announcer/own visuals/GUI etc.
  • Keneanung said:
    hm interesting. I've been working on someting similar as well, I'll ave a look and dissect it for my use later. (I can also provide my version for comparison, if you want.)

My version is incorporated into svo to not only target, but also keep attacking as long as something is in the room.

I for my part set it so I don't change the target, if something wit higher priority walks in, because especially in non-teaming areas you always only have one target you attack. But thst can also be personal preferences.

As for party targeting: You could fire an event when you change target, which can be caught by party announcer/own visuals/GUI etc.
    Ah, I'm not using Svo, also didn't want to limit the user base based on the system they used which is why I scripted it this way. Would be nice to take a look at the one you've done so far.

The script itself doesn't change targets until the first target you picked up is dead/you walk to another room, then it swaps to the next target which would the be highest priority.

True on the party targeting, I'll definitely raise an event when the target is changed so people can use it to for their own systems.

The party targeting itself is there and it echos to the party once you kill something for the next target, but I'm not sure if there's any way to do what Aedin requested which is for someone else in the party who doesn't have targeting based on party announce other than the ways which I listed earlier which is to: call out a separate send with Next Target: ###### or instead, a general target such as Orc or Animal.

I figured the latter would be much harder but could be done using a denizen database with tags containing a general target for it. With that it'd do away with the priority though, though you could definitely use it for say foozling if you implement a search function.

Any ideas on trying to implement the next target echo?
  • edited August 2013
    Guhem said:
    The script itself doesn't change targets until the first target you picked up is dead/you walk to another room, then it swaps to the next target which would the be highest priority.
    Ah, I misunderstood your "the target might change depending on if something with a higher priority walks in/walks out" then.

About the echo. It's hard to say, because you probably still want to target the same target on a party call. This would be defeated, if you used two different techniques to target like ID and general target. Because for example if you have two mhun guards and an elite keeper, "mhun" does not tell which one to attack and "guard" neither (elites seem to count as guards from my testing). All you can do is definitely target the elite in this case. But I don't think that is worth the effort.

So all in all I'd say using a "tags" or "keyword" database for pary targetting as well and use both at the same time is unfeasable.

You could however use some kind of "alternate targetting" which would lessen the effect of prios in exchange of guaranteeing the same target. This way you have to a) collect the keywords manually (as I ave no idea how determine them automatically) and b) either use a single keyword for each target or c) define multiple keywords and then try to calculate the "best" one (whatever that means).

Alternatively you can just forget about party targeting and bash away :P

Edit: spelling. Duh!
  • So how far can you go before it turns into "auto bashing"?

Do-Repeat from SVO for automatic hitting.
    This script for automatic targeting.....
    How many people have scripts for automatically moving through each room in an entire area?................

• Rangor said:
    So how far can you go before it turns into "auto bashing"?

Do-Repeat from SVO for automatic hitting.
    This script for automatic targeting.....
    How many people have scripts for automatically moving through each room in an entire area?................
    Could be already done without this script with svo/omni in many areas:
    dor kill mhun(/vertani/gnoll/animal)
    start moving
    afk
  • @Rangor Probably just auto moving if you use that list, that being said, for you to look away and and hit would mean you're either way stronger than needed for the area, whether by arties or because you're just a much higher level.

Intention was never to allow auto bashing, but more for areas such as mirror caves/morindar where you need to change targets frequently since my wrist starts hurting after a while.
  • edited August 2013
    @guhem Yeah, I get that. :)

I used auto targeting in UW during great hunts when my eyes were bleeding.

I'm fairly sure there must be a few people who break that "barrier" though where it goes over to become auto bashing. It is after all quite easy to set up.
  • you can auto move I believe, it comes into question if you setup more than 1 room to move in after you complete a room I think. Least thats what Penwize said once
  • For those using the system: Updated a bug in logic for priority switching, increased visibility on getting a new target.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32189290/Huntingv0.61.xml?dl=1
  • FitzFitz Fire and Spice
    I'm really enjoying this streamlining my bashing.

• edited September 2013
    I finally posted my version here.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Ver nice script!

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• StrataStrata United States of Derp
    This is awesome, @Guhem! Some things I tweaked to make it even better:

Made it default turned off when I start mudlet. (probably not a big thing for most - but I'm OCD)
    Made high priority denizens "sticky" so if I have to leave the room to heal and move into a room with a lesser priority denizen, it won't switch targets until I've killed the high priority one first.
    Moved a lot of lesser priority denizens that do heavy afflicting to a higher priority in case they are grouped with heavy hitters. (to avoid getting hindered too much)

I still want to tweak:
    Make announcing more generic so people in the hunting party see what's going on better.
  • @Fitz

Glad you enjoy it, saving one person from carpal tunnel at a time.

@Shirszae

Thanks!

@Strata

Thanks for the things, just wondering for the making higher priority denizens "sticky", did you use an alias to reset in the case where you run into a room with lower priority stuff and decide to clear them instead?

For the generic announcing, I suppose you could add in the target name after the ID so it looks like Target: ###### (name). I'm not sure if you can do general targets without having to create a new table with tags for denizens though. Making announcements more generic also means that if in the situation there are two targets with the same generic keyword but different priorities, they might start attacking the lower priority target first.

Either way, this is just a baseline of what I want to do, there's other things as well.
  • Where were you when I was bashing Meropis to get to dragon?!

Seriously though ILU!!!!

Anyone had any problem with it reverting to its stock locations even if you have input hsave?

• @Fitz I'll have to take a look at what's going on, I think it's configured right for Windows but I don't have Linux/Mac to test on.

Do you have any other info I could use to try to replicate the problem?
    Not really, I use win7, latest version of mudlet, and I'd added in Arcadia and karma mobs and whatnot using hadd, and it's been loading properly for months, and then yesterday it was like I did a fresh hinstall. No idea what happened since I've not changed anything in months

• @Fitz Thanks, I'll check my script again to see.
  • this think is amazing
  • The only other thing I can suggest is looking into stun. If you've regained balance on all limbs, and are on equilibrium, but are stunned, it tends to mess up a little. There will be a long delay before it tries again, and sometimes you have to restart the toggle, but I honestly don't mind doing this, and I'm unsure if it can even be worked around.
  • awesome script, thanks for making it free
  • I really am enjoying this code, makes bashing a lot more bearable, thanks!

Quick question (or three):

The Priority List shows up as red, so it lists everything there in... red. Any way we can change that? It's not the most noticeable for me, and I have issues catching it sometimes. Thanks!

• Also!

[NOTE]: Depending on your class, abilities, and weapons, using the KILL command may be less
    efficient than manually choosing your abilities.
    You reach out with your withered finger and stroke a goblin zombie, who screams in agony as his
    flesh withers.

The system-thingie only uses the 'Kill' command from what I can see, is there a way we can change what it uses?

• Oh man, I posted this on the wrong one...

• Can someone give me some advice on this?  I can't seem to get it to work
  • Guhem seems pretty dormant and I am not sure if anybody else still uses this.

If nobody can help here, an alternative to check out would be http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/1533/mudlet-another-denizen-targeting-script (my hunting script)
  • It's a good option still since it's a standalone without SVO/wundersys. I'm helping him over messages.

For future references, troubleshooting:

When it doesn't work, check to make sure if GMCP is on.
    Do HUNT ON/OFF, it's the on and off button.
    Check HSHOW to see if the denizens are on the list (or adjust target priority).
    HADD to add the denizens if they're not.

It doesn't rely on serverside targeting, but a 'target' variable, but that's easily adjustable.
    Search for function targetSet(), and just add: send("settarget " .. target) a line after cecho("<blue:green>Target: "..target).
    If you need me, you can find me sporadically on the Achaea Discord as Yae. 
    Do not DM on forums unless you're ok with waiting a couple months!