How Big Is It?

Anyone have the broadest idea how much data it costs to play Achaea on the cellphone app? I don't have very big data allowance (250mb) so I'm just wondering if using the app will throw me way over.
Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
I take my hat off to you.

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I use about 1gb a month but thats with skype and browsing forums. I think 300mb is on achaea

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:
    I use about 1gb a month but thats with skype and browsing forums. I think 300mb is on achaea
    That's including all your raiding, sparring etc? Or do you do that on a different connection?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Thats everything

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    One thing you can do is make sure your client supports MCCP (compression), which will reduce your data costs significantly.
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    edited August 2013
    @Sylvance:

I did a really quick test using a 20 minute snippet from last night. The snippet was about 50% hunting, and 50% RP, so a pretty good sample for our purposes. Your mileage will vary. 

File size came to 226,399 bytes (221 kB or 0.216 MB). Mind you, this did not include the formatting characters used for colour, so the actual number may be a little higher, but is offset by my very long custom prompt.

It seems to me that someone playing casually, say, 3 hours a day every day will use approximately 60 MB in the space of a month, just using these numbers. Even with heavy combat, and extended play times, I don't see this number reaching 250 MB ... easily.

EDIT: Math.

Second edit: You will probably use more data browsing the internet than you will playing Achaea, and so yeah, 25% of your data allotment going to just Achaea is not a small percentage. I'm not sure what carrier you're on, or even if you're in the US for that matter, but I'm guessing you are on an old-style ATT plan of $15/month for 250 MB for that device. I might recommend the current 3 GB/month for $30 package, depending. Or, even better, a data share plan, so long as you don't lose unlimited data on another device.
  • Like really big, I swear.

• edited August 2013
    Data usage and log size can be very different with MCCP. Using LensDroid, a 109.31 KB log used only about 8 KB of data.

A good data manager app can tell you exactly how much data each app is using, so you can see whether it's problematic.
  • MCCP is great, but if GMCP.Ping is valuable to you MCCP will break it. 

*nudge*