Rogue Perms

There should be a TrueRogue permission choice so they can be invited to arena events and shopkeepers can give them discounts. By true rogue I mean someone with no city or house affiliations.
~
You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.

Comments

• The limit on shop policies / arena event participants should just get removed

Not member of cityA, Not member of cityB, Not member of cityC, Not member of cityD.., not member of HouseA, not member of HouseB, not member of HouseC, not member of HouseD, not member of HouseE...

That'd leave just rogues

• edited August 2013
    I want to be able to provide discounts to rogues as well as the other orgs that get them from me. Just blocking out the other orgs won't accomplish that task.

Kyrra said:
    Out of curiosity, why would people who choose to not be affiliated with organisations need to be classed by one? It's one of the drawbacks to not participating.
    They are classed by not being in an org, this wouldn't make them all of a sudden be in an org, it would just mean we could target them with permissions as needed. There are plenty of drawbacks to being a rogue and I don't feel this should be one of them.

~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • Sure, just manually set the price lower and then for all orgs increase the price, the effect would be the same, Rogues would get it cheaper than anyone else without being a permissable target

• The point of this is to be able to provide a discount alongside of other orgs. Your workaround defeats the purpose.
    ~
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    You can set policies for individual people, I don't see why it's that big of a deal.

I have a rogue alt. No city, no house, no order. I had one day wanted to suffix my family and I had to jump through hoops to accomplish that, because titles are another of those things that are a drawback. I had issued over it at the time, and was basically told it's the privilege of living in a city. Which I understood.

By choosing not to be a part of an organisation, you're agreeing to give up or go without certain perks. I may be wrong on this too but isn't that why there is such emphasis to join cities and houses? To encourage people to be a part of communities?

If Bob wants to be a rogue, set him individual snowflake perms. Bob should really consider joining the rest of the blizzard though.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I see a shopkeeper who wants to cater to rogues.  Makes a lot of sense to me.  He's asking to be able to classify rogues as a type of consumer.
  • Or be able to invite rogues to a global arena event, including the six cities, yes... There's a class for them in city egghunts and stuff, why not for the arena or shops? And don't say rogue restrictions. Rogues have plenty of *%&# piled on their head, this doesn't need to be one of those things though.
    ~
  • Kyrra said:
    I may be wrong on this too but isn't that why there is such emphasis to join cities and houses? To encourage people to be a part of communities?
    There's such a large emphasis on joining cities and Houses because they're the ones who teach you how to play the game. The newbie introduction is, understandably, inadequate considering the complexity of Achaea, and they don't want people to quit in frustration because they decided to (attempt to) play a rogue and were totally confused.
  • I feel like I've seen posts by administration in the past saying they weren't inclined to give bonuses to rogues because they wanted to encourage players to be involved in organizations, because that's what Achaea is about.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• edited August 2013
    This isn't a bonus... People can just as easily ban rogues from shops with this. It's just a function that should be there.

ETA- It's not like we'll see a mass exodus as everyone signs up to be a rogue because they 'might' get invited to the occasional arena game or get a shop discount (more likely ban).
    ~
  • The question underneath is whether all cityless, houseless people have some value called "Rogue" assigned to them already that the permission could look for in the code. I'm not against the idea if that already exists, but if it's going to be hard for them to make possible I could see it being assigned lowest priority until there's a better reason to have it.

But it seems like a simple thing to modify. if city=none and house=none then rogue=true, apply to existing adventurers, add the setting of a rogue value to the event of gaining or losing a house/city. Then adding the rogue option to things like door perms and all. Seems simple but that's a player's assessment.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • CardanCardan The Garden
    edited August 2013
    Would it suffice to simply add a permission type that checks for house and city being 0, or would it be more useful to have cityless, houseless, orgless as three distinct permission types (unimaginative names not withstanding)?

Edit: Clarified that I meant three distinct perm types.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Cityless and houseless combined, in my opinion.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Cardan said:
    Would it suffice to simply add a permission type that checks for house and city being 0, or would it be more useful to have cityless, houseless, orgless as three distinct permission types (unimaginative names not withstanding)?

Edit: Clarified that I meant three distinct perm types.
    All three would save this discussion ever having to be raised again in future (although I can't conceive of a time that one would need the cityless or houseless perm)!
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • I agree with Kyrra, the combined cityless/houseless is enough. Generally Orderless doesn't need to be included in that though.
    ~
  • I want rogues to be able to recieve titles from some manner outside divine. Being that titles aren't entirely restricted to House or Organization titles, there's alot of people that use Titles just to express themselves a bit. I dislike that because I dont really have any relation to a Divine It's near impossible for me to get so much as my surname added. Which is, in my opinion, TERRIBLE!

All I've had today are six gummy bears and some scotch
  • Them's the breaks. Renounce all ties to formal organisations and lose the perks of being in an organisation.

• Mannimar said:
    rather than having rogue perms, I'd rather have novice permissions for shops. Would make it easier to cater to newbies without worry that the older players would take anything that would be useful.
    I like this as well. This should be alongside the rogue perms as a separate choice.
    ~
  • Mannimar said:
    rather than having rogue perms, I'd rather have novice permissions for shops. Would make it easier to cater to newbies without worry that the older players would take anything that would be useful.
    level permissions ftw
  • Jonners said:
    Mannimar said:
    I like this as well. This should be alongside the rogue perms as a separate choice.
    My only issue is, in general I'd like to give the newbies a higher discount... but not on the rarities. I wish I could set discounts by bin rather than the whole shop.
    ~
  • Jonners said:
    Jonners said:
    Mannimar said:
    My only issue is, in general I'd like to give the newbies a higher discount... but not on the rarities. I wish I could set discounts by bin rather than the whole shop.
    Start a new thread?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Or make this the official "improve shopkeeping" thread?

For instance, the coder typo bug I submitted about 13 RL months ago that causes pricing group Tarots to read
    "You set A look of disgust plastered across his face, Mhaldorus intently surveys his surroundings. to sell for 2500 sovereigns each (in bin 2)."
    "You set decaying corpse has been impaled here upon a fifteen foot stake. to sell for 2500 sovereigns each (in bin 2)."
    "You set 10 cocobolo vial to sell for 2500 sovereigns each (in bin 2)."
    "You set 10 Auroran Mace to sell for 2500 sovereigns each (in bin 2)."
    "You set 5 monolith sigil to sell for 2500 sovereigns each (in bin 2)."
    etc.

The cards still get priced normally but it's really goofy to see that every time.
  • edited September 2013

Xith said:
    "You set 10 Auroran Mace to sell for 2500 sovereigns each (in bin 2)."

I will take this deal thx. All ten.
  • We have that issue with herbs as well. Might be groups of anything. It prices correctly so I don't complain too much.
    ~