Pickpocketing.

Pickpocketing is a fun little activity that I enjoy about the Serpent class (on denizens of course). It presented for me a new avenue to a way of gaining gold, and at the same time played along with my profession's RP. I just have a few complaints about it that I would like to point out. I truly love that my class was presented with a new means of achieving and growing stronger (admittedly without XP), without having to go through the drool practice of bashing and bashing some more.

- Handkerchiefs and pipes.

Could we possibly remove the chance to pick a pipe and/or handkerchief from a mob? I currently have about 12 oaken pipes and 5 hankerchiefs, and that is with me pickpocketing a small group of mobs about twice to three times a day (the current amount I have is after a week of picking). It really is annoying the amount of times I pickpocket an oaken pipe. The other items (Coal and Shard) I dont mind as much, and in a way sort of fit in with the ability.

- More mobs that are feasible to Pickpocket.

Currently the amount of mobs that are actually worth pickpocketting are rare and very few, maybe acounting to 10-12 tops. I've searched many places and areas, even so much as to travel to Annwyn and try there (the gold was around 1/10th of what I can usually get -and- they turn aggro even with me having trans subterfuge). If more mobs could perhaps be made as worth attempting to pickpocket, that would be great. I wouldnt even mind if the gold on Theran guards was reduced so that other mobs could be made more worth pickpocketing. I'd -love- if we were able to pickpocket city guards, but alas it seems they are all broke :/ (UNION!).

- Factors of Pickpocketing.

Back when pickpocketing was first introduced, it was to my understanding that dexterity played an important role in the matter, but I think that was later changed slightly. Im currently a Serpent with a dexterity of 15, having chosen such statistics believing it would assist me in my mob-picking life. I have a friend whom is also a serpent with a dexterity of 12 (having chosen the norm of high constitution on a serpent) and he succeeds as much as I do with all mobs, with the same average of gold picked. Why doesnt dexterity play an important role in this? Currently with Serpents, dexterity seems to be all but ignored seeing it as a waste of a state, which I feel should really not be the case. If Dexterity could perhaps:

a. Increase the speed of pickpocketing
or
b. Increase the amount of gold pickpocketed
or
c. Significantly affect the skill (chance) of stealing gold and not taking notice.

This may present new avenues for statistics. Personally I would love if Dexterity also affected Arrow damage and Arrow hit-chance, but that is for a future thread.

- Pickpocketing and Phase

If I could just make a request that the Pickpocketing skill process be startable while still phased? It would be much like the Backstab scenario in that you begin the process of getting ready to stab the person, and then when it fires you are immediately pulled from phase. I know some would say "But we should be allowed to see if someone is in the room" But in all truth it already is a very risky (and much of the time unrewarding) process of attempting to pickpocket another. The least that could be asked of a serpent is to have the element of surprise. A remedy to this could simply be that the person will see the serpent appear from phase and could also see that he just pickpocketed them.

- Pickpocketing Additions

Pickpocketing could be taken a step further by allowing the Serpent to have some form control over the item picked. This means that rather than just having to focus on attempting to get one's gold (in conjecture with other items), a Serpent may be able to choose an item. The syntax would be changed to something along the lines of PICKPOCKET <target> <item>. The item list of what a serpent could pickpocket would be a per-determined list, with things such as gold, letters, shard, item of clothing, and perhaps even weapons (making people more inclined to use scabbards and baldrics :P). If I may also suggest that Appraise reveal the exact amount of gold in one's hands, rather than just inform a serpent that the target is holding (some gold sovereigns), that would really make it much better with considering if someone is worth attempting to pickpocket.

- Last comments

Lastly I would like to add that I really do like this new addition to Achaea in providing a new form of interaction of player-to-mob rather than just bashing or quests, and I hope that other classes than just Serpent can be presented with something along the same lines. For example:

Priest: Ability to preach to mobs with the chance to enlighten/convert them.
Bard: Can perform for a mob with the chance to be rewarded.
Jester: Can entertain a mob with tricks and jokes with the hope of being tipped.
etc. etc.

Personally I would love if pickpocketing also gave alittle XP, but I dont think it would be fair unless other classes were given some form of avenue of the certain type as well.

Thanks for reading and hope my suggestions are considered!

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

My only comment to all of this is to sigh and say "I wish."

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Asmodron said:
    I'd -love- if we were able to pickpocket city guards, but alas it seems they are all broke :/ (UNION!).

Clearly they store it in the city bank!

• Pretty sure @Tecton announced a revamp to Pickpocket. I suspect it will come with Serpent classlead.

Also, there is a way of dealing with having too many vials, but you could easily learn that IG so I'll say no more on that.

All that said, thanks for a great post.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Was nice to have a RL year or so without worrying about losing your stuff though, right?
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • No, cuz everything I care about is returning, specifically because of the way pickpocketing used to work. *rage*
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • wait, what's returning? did they change how pickpocket worked that I didn't know about?
  • Jakiro said:
    wait, what's returning? 

He's likely talking about customising his valuables to have the 'returning' property.

• oh, misunderstood that then. Thanks @Synbios
  • edited August 2013
    Make journals pickpocketable nao puhlease? :)
  • Kaie said:
    My thoughts are no. You suck it up and deal with the consequences of the abused old system like a champ! Otherwise I might sue you for causing me grief. I paid real money for the credits which I sold to get text gold and then having spent that gold on a journal and having it stolen is THEFT irl because I lost irl on it. or something like that. So, shaddup and be happy while I laugh at you pickpocketing 15 gold at a time from me. Hahahahahaha!
    hahahha. laughed so hard. <3
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Asmodron said:
    Kaie said:
    My thoughts are no. You suck it up and deal with the consequences of the abused old system like a champ! Otherwise I might sue you for causing me grief. I paid real money for the credits which I sold to get text gold and then having spent that gold on a journal and having it stolen is THEFT irl because I lost irl on it. or something like that. So, shaddup and be happy while I laugh at you pickpocketing 15 gold at a time from me. Hahahahahaha!
    LOL @Kaie. There is absolutely no way you would have any IRL recourse from IG theft no matter how much IRL money you spent on text-thingies. If you pay to go on vacation for a week or see your favorite band play at some venue, what do you get in return for your cold cash? Nothing other than the splendid experience. I look at Achaea the same way - only the experience lasts a lot longer than a few days/weeks.

@Asmodron plz go Infamous pretty ploix ?! :P
  • Strata said:
    Asmodron said:
    Kaie said:
    LOL @Kaie. There is absolutely no way you would have any IRL recourse from IG theft no matter how much IRL money you spent on text-thingies. If you pay to go on vacation for a week or see your favorite band play at some venue, what do you get in return for your cold cash? Nothing other than the splendid experience. I look at Achaea the same way - only the experience lasts a lot longer than a few days/weeks.

@Asmodron plz go Infamous pretty ploix ?! :P
    infamous in Achaea? I'd be trolled and beaten so hard that I'd start to think I have a Qashar tag on me somewhere. O.O