Simple Ideas

Comments

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Dairon said:
    I always thought the syntax was RAISE HOOD
    Doesn't work with a hood of the sphinx "You are not wearing an item of clothing with a hood"

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • 7072h, 5654m, 30650e, 27252w ex|cdbk Nobody     raise hood
    You carefully raise a Hood of the Sphinx.
    7072h, 5959m, 30650e, 27270w ex|cdbk Nobody     (+305m, 4.8%) lower hood
    You carefully lower a Hood of the Sphinx.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    edited April 2016
    Hrrm, that might stem from people who originally had veils, but got them turned into hoods. I'll take a look at this and get it fixed up.

ETA: .... aaaaand fixed.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Tecton said:
    Hrrm, that might stem from people who originally had veils, but got them turned into hoods. I'll take a look at this and get it fixed up.

You beautiful, beautiful man.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Kayeil said:
    Grandue said:
    Cynlael said:
    1) Grandue
    2) Skarash
    <even bigger gap>
    -> Rest of Achaea.
    Very doubtful this is accurate.
    Agreed. Not about the Grandue part because I have no idea... but Skarash is probably not even in top ten. Though he is good at generating it without using RL money, and with mostly just sitting on his butt in Ashtan, so there is that.
    heyyyyyyyy - its a lot of work sitting in Ashtan!
  • Skarash said:
    Kayeil said:
    Grandue said:
    Cynlael said:
    1) Grandue
    2) Skarash
    <even bigger gap>
    -> Rest of Achaea.
    Very doubtful this is accurate.
    Agreed. Not about the Grandue part because I have no idea... but Skarash is probably not even in top ten. Though he is good at generating it without using RL money, and with mostly just sitting on his butt in Ashtan, so there is that.
    heyyyyyyyy - its a lot of work sitting in Ashtan!
    @Skarash is the Godfather. He sends his goons to collect payment off of his "loans" of 80% interest and other shady deals. If he has to move himself, someone's going to be crying...and it won't be Skarash
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
  • Dairon said:
    I always thought the syntax was RAISE HOOD
    It is, I just mistyped due to being tired.
  • Tecton said:

You're beautiful!
  • It seems it would make -a lot- more sense if Salvaging from a harbour took into account the distance of the ship to that harbor. The fact the price seems the same anywhere, even if the ship is a few rooms outside from one of the harbour, seems strange.., this is further clarified with the harbour salvage message of "The captain takes into the account where your ship is and the distance to go there and offers to do the job for this price: xxxxxx".
  • Asmodron said:
    It seems it would make -a lot- more sense if Salvaging from a harbour took into account the distance of the ship to that harbor. The fact the price seems the same anywhere, even if the ship is a few rooms outside from one of the harbour, seems strange.., this is further clarified with the harbour salvage message of "The captain takes into the account where your ship is and the distance to go there and offers to do the job for this price: xxxxxx".

So apparently this is already the case, but I merely had a bug. Ty.
  • edited April 2016
    It would be very untraditional to MUDs but a way to integrate voice chat would be a pleasure, in my honest opinion.

Probably would need to be optional, like something you need to turn on for each channel, and it would include people only opting in, enabling the feature. The problem is: what does someone see if they don't have it enabled? I think there is technology for that (speech-to-text) though it's probably not available that easily for a small company. (Too much work/licensing fee etc.) Digital sound processing is really advanced as well, so tuning your voice to fit the character wouldn't be really an issue.

But the thing is that there are some awesome websites (roll20 for example) to provide a playground for tabletop gaming and they would worth doing research on to see what's the future of roleplaying, and embracing such changes would be a good step.

I know that one of the best features of muds is that you can access them for virtually anywhere from any device, and there is beauty in simplicity but as resources of computers grow so much it will be surely a dead medium in a few more decades, Really to let Achaea stay a mud but also advance it with not so dated technology is only possible by optional features. Sorry I was just wondering.
  • Also sorry for brainstorming I'm pretty new but there is a feature of EVE Online that keeps people playing the game is the unique aspect of fully player driven economy. I talked to some mmopg players that told me they couldn't switch back to any other game, because in such an economy they feel like their actions truly matter. Not sure to how muh degree it is implemented on Achaea but it's a really good goal and direction.
  • Bohren said:
    Also sorry for brainstorming I'm pretty new but there is a feature of EVE Online that keeps people playing the game is the unique aspect of fully player driven economy. I talked to some mmopg players that told me they couldn't switch back to any other game, because in such an economy they feel like their actions truly matter. Not sure to how muh degree it is implemented on Achaea but it's a really good goal and direction.
    Actually a big chunk of the Achaean economy is player driven. The only thing that @Sarapis & crew has any control over is stuff like gold drops, herb/mineral respawn rates, mining spawns, and a few other commodity based stuff. The credit market is all player sold, there is a MARKET command to buy/sell goods and services, ADS, and even carts. 

Yea, that one!
  • Bohren said:
    It would be very untraditional to MUDs but a way to integrate voice chat would be a pleasure, in my honest opinion.

Probably would need to be optional, like something you need to turn on for each channel, and it would include people only opting in, enabling the feature. The problem is: what does someone see if they don't have it enabled? I think there is technology for that (speech-to-text) though it's probably not available that easily for a small company. (Too much work/licensing fee etc.) Digital sound processing is really advanced as well, so tuning your voice to fit the character wouldn't be really an issue.

But the thing is that there are some awesome websites (roll20 for example) to provide a playground for tabletop gaming and they would worth doing research on to see what's the future of roleplaying, and embracing such changes would be a good step.

I know that one of the best features of muds is that you can access them for virtually anywhere from any device, and there is beauty in simplicity but as resources of computers grow so much it will be surely a dead medium in a few more decades, Really to let Achaea stay a mud but also advance it with not so dated technology is only possible by optional features. Sorry I was just wondering.
    i think speech to text would be awesome in the capacity of helping players not only multitask, but also for handicapped players. It would have some big hurdles beyond what was already mentioned facing it from happening.

Yea, that one!
  • edited April 2016
    Dortheron said:
    Actually a big chunk of the Achaean economy is player driven. 
    Very impressive! Can you do a full crafter build that does nothing but craft items for others? I knew Achaea has some player owned stores and such but didn't know how "deep" it goes. Tbh it would worth advertising as a feature. Really a deal breaker for some people, not many mmorpgs are brave enough to implement a fully player driven economy.
  • Bohren said:
    Dortheron said:
    Actually a big chunk of the Achaean economy is player driven. 
    Very impressive! Can you do a full crafter build that does nothing but craft items for others? I knew Achaea has some player owned stores and such but didn't know how "deep" it goes. Tbh it would worth advertising as a feature. Really a deal breaker for some people, not many mmorpgs are brave enough to implement a fully player driven economy.
    Crafting and tradeskills are seperate from classes and fighting and there are plenty of people who focus solely on that aspect. The only downside is the cost to get them can be considered high if you don't have a way to buy/earn credits to turn into lessons. Crafting skills (Tailoring, Jewellery, and Cooking) also have an additional 200 credit cost to even get the skill, much less trans it out; upside is that you get to make your own designs to be approved and make (this is handled by Admin too, but more for keeping writing standards up. If you could write and submit 50 designs in a single day, they would eventually review every design and make a decision based on the quality of writing and a few other limitations).

Yea, that one!
  • Dortheron said:
    Crafting skills (Tailoring, Jewellery, and Cooking) also have an additional 200 credit cost to even get the skill
    Uh, this may be off topic already but why is it reasonable for these skills to cost credits? A free player needs level 40 to start crafting?
  • edited April 2016
    Because the items they make are custom designs that they write, not just some generic armour with +5 to a stat, and that level of customisation comes along with a requirement that the administration reviews and approves those designs to make sure that they're correct and appropriate for the game. You're buying time and attention from a very small staff with that credit purchase. There are plenty of tradeskills that focus on more mundane items that don't have that design element which don't have the additional license cost involved.
  • Antonius said:
    There are plenty of tradeskills that focus on more mundane items that don't have that design element which don't have the additional license cost involved.
    Ah, okay I thought these are the only one type of crafting.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    The thing about shops and tradeskills is that it takes a LOT of sales before your crafting skills pay themselves off (if ever). Also, player owned shops are incredibly expensive, and also require a lot of sales before paying themselves off (but not impossible). Easier to rent a shop from another player or from a city, in that case. Some crafting skills easily make more money than others. I know my inkmilling and gathering have long paid themselves off, but my cooking, jewellery, and tailoring have not... though that's largely my fault, as I don't craft much with them anymore, and usually only did so for personal designs. Some people who use tailoring/cooking/jewellery have gotten a lot of mileage out of their skills, so they may have made good money by now. The difference is, you also have to pay money to submit designs and accept them, and then to craft with commodities. Jewellery always has a gold -and- commodity cost per item. So those skills still take a longer period of time to pay themselves off rather than a skill like gathering and inkmilling which can be pure profit since you only need a cleaver and an inkmill which are relatively cheap.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Could the new bonuses (and decreases) to bashing attacks be added to their AB file, or a new file in general? I just want it documented for future/returning players.
  • edited April 2016
    Im not sure if this is already the case or not, but it seems silly that one can only gain rank in their city's army based upon: Help destroying rooms, help saving rooms, kills. (This is what I gathered straight from the Help Army scroll).

From those 3 listed above, kills is perhaps the most common of actions in a sanction raid, and any combatant worth their salt can attest that it doesnt just come down to getting the kill. Within a raid, you will have people focusing on damage and some focusing on hindering, this is just expected, and often you will see deaths to enemies occur from those sniping in a safe distance. In conclusion, it seems a bit unfair to give army points only to those that get the kill.

Some suggestions (not all need to be implemented together):

- Gain few points for striking an enemy that died during a sanction (Offense or defense)

- Gain few points for being part of a sanction of an enemy city for over 20 mins

- Gain few points for being part of a sanction on your city for over 20 mins

Allow Army Rank to show your current points and how many more are needed for next rank.

Edit (Naturally this is all not taking into account forced rank increase by the MoW, which I am told is a rarity anyway)
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Yes, for the love of god, make military rank more transparent and easier to gain.  After numerous raids, I'm still ar1. You should also totally get more points for detonation with less numbers (and xp[@Penwize]). Just divide reward up between everyone involved. Discourage 20 man raiding
  • You don't want rank to be given too quickly/easily though, as really the ONLY thing army rank does is let you disarm/detonate/place tanks.

But those who are higher army rank 'power' tanks more when they're killed. This is why MoW tend to limit promoting people to necessity.

• So, I thought about making a post after I made Legendary Smith to pose some ideas on how to make it better. I did not really want to go about it beforehand and seem like I was just eating sour grapes because I was finding difficulty.

I think it would be fairly nifty for anyone to use 'FORGING LIST <person>' to see a simplified version of forging list for other adventurers who have the smithing skills. This would show you what they are able to smith, what descriptors they are an expert in, and what descriptors they are a master of.

Every time I have a person come to me looking for 'something special', I either have to refer them to a help file offer by Cyrene (to Cyrenians) or send them a letter with a list of what I can do.

I also feel like opening up the 'FORGINGCOMMS' command to everyone would be useful. I understand it does not make sense, but it would let people do a little tinkering with descriptor options will most likely see more use of the feature. Not everything needs to make sense to be a feature if it betters the game. 

It just honestly feels like a chore to shop for armour and weapons when I think it should be made a bit easier...we have this opportunity to diversify how everyone looks, but people either get stuck in ruts because they don't know what is out there....or everyone buys 'lightweight, steel' armour from shops because it is cheap to make.
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    Let me buy trans instead of sitting there learning 15000 lessons... Ug

• @Szanthax I submitted an idea (while tri-Transing Shaman) that the maximum number of lessons that can be learnt in one sitting should scale with your class slot modifier, so you'd be able to learn 20 * 2.88 (57) lessons each time for your fourth class onwards, rather than 20 at a time. That would keep the learning time roughly the same as your first class, but you'd still have the increasing cost in terms of number of lessons required.

Antonius said:

@Szanthax I submitted an idea (while tri-Transing Shaman) that the maximum number of lessons that can be learnt in one sitting should scale with your class slot modifier, so you'd be able to learn 20 * 2.88 (57) lessons each time for your fourth class onwards, rather than 20 at a time. That would keep the learning time roughly the same as your first class, but you'd still have the increasing cost in terms of number of lessons required.

Good idea... But I think at the point of third or fourth class it's really just a waste of time... Like let me learn 5k at once

P.s. I'm trying to catch up...

• I've always wondered what the point was of the slow learning process. I suppose it can help with immersion the first time you do it, but anytime after that it's all (usually) triggered and the messages ignored until Trans. Especially for multiclass.

I'd like to be able to learn 100-200 lessons at a time.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.