Custom Emotes

So, many will choose to personalize their character but substituting the default 'laugh' for a laugh of their own to fit their individual character, using 'tmote laughs his own way'.
But as this uses balance, it's discouraging when you want to laugh while following someone or laugh during combat or other skill use.

Simple recommendation is a handful of changeable emotes. The common ones that are altered: laugh, smile, bow, etc.

So a person can SETEMOTE SMILE emote gives a warm, toothy smile
enabling them to use that one off balance.

I know something related was done as an auction in the past but this is with upcoming changes to the emote system in mind.
Obviously no "emote hurls a tarot card with the image of the Hanged Man on it at you. As it reaches you, a huge mass of rope bursts out of it, entrapping and hindering you." If that happens it's shrubbable like the abuse of any other system. Basically suggesting facilitating personalized emoting into the offbalance emotes to replace them somehow.

Thoughts?
I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.

Comments

• The setemote smile idea is a good one, but it seems like it would be easier to just take the balance part away from the custom emotes (then again, I have no idea how possible that is). 

But you could always yell "Stop!" and then laugh your own way. It is what I would do.

i'm a rebel

• Although I agree with @Tesha that it might just be easier to remove the balance component from emoting (there are better ways to prevent it from being abused - and personally, I think all social actions should have their own invisible, very-short-term balance for preventing spam purposes, as SAYs currently do), I think that this idea has some potential beyond just balance-free emoting.

For example, you could have SET UNTARGETED EMOTE and SET TARGETED EMOTE, letting you create two versions of each emote based on whether a target is given or not.

• JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    I think they're already looking at changing the way emotes/tmotes work.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Tesha said:
    The setemote smile idea is a good one, but it seems like it would be easier to just take the balance part away from the custom emotes (then again, I have no idea how possible that is). 

But you could always yell "Stop!" and then laugh your own way. It is what I would do.
    If you get rid of balance on emotes, you'll be able to use it in combat to cheat other's reflexes and keep your balance at the same time.
  • That's punishable by shrubbing and it should be easy enough to spot. You could do it already technically, anyway, because emote balance is barely a second long.
  • AdaAda
    edited June 2013
    But you can actually colour emotes differently to see if it was an (emoted) illusion or not. I like the idea of emotes having a separate balance like SAYs.

Then I can emote hopping on the dragon's tail while following them around ^_^