Terraforming Updates - June 2013

Comments

• I'd actually love to see Knights being more Knightly. When I think of Knights in pretty much any fantasy setting, I think of heavily armoured warriors (typically mounted) that uses either sword and shield or two-handed weapons. Dual wielding seems a bit out of place, but I guess it's not all that bad. Dual wielding rapiers, on the other hand, feels more like a bard or fencer type of class thing. That's just my opinion.

^_^
  • Sarapis said:
    Some key design points with multiclassing that have yet to be decided on our end (or even talked about much):

* How widely available do we want this? Should this be something that is only possible post-Dragon, for instance?
    * How many different classes can you eventually have?
    * How do we define incompatible classes in such a way that feels fair-ish to all classes?
    * Should 'primary class' have a meaning? (In other words, when you get a secondary class, is it gimped in some way, or is your primary class buffed in some way? If so, how do we do this in a 'fair' way across classes.)
    * How often can you change? 
    * Is there a cost (gold, time, etc) to switching?

Hearing this makes me feel a lot better. It sounded at first like it was just going to be like Aetolia's. And while Aetolia sort of needs that due to low population, I really don't think Achaea does.

And I still really hope this gets fit in better into the gameworld, regardless of what form the system takes.
  • I know most everyone is concerned about multiclassing, but as someone who is pretty new and doesn't have all their skills...how will the disconnect for crafting skills work? If I get trans forging will I lose my forging skill and gain trans (insert epic knight replacement skill) instead, or will I have a transed mini-skill essentially?  Makes a big difference if I'm gonna bother learning forging until this goes through
  • I can only imagine they'd refund your lessons in Forging and then let you decide what to put them in.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Well, if a class change no longer costs a ton of cash, I approve.
    *Animated Signature*

• I like the knight changes thing. Blunt items are a bit meh, but maybe battle axes for infernal could be a valid option. Though, I think the shining gem in that comment was the addition of class specific attacks replacing things in Chivalry which would bring each knight class it's own style making knight vs knight more interesting as well as mixing it up quite a bit across the board.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Kaie said:
    I like the knight changes thing. Blunt items are a bit meh, but maybe battle axes for infernal could be a valid option. Though, I think the shining gem in that comment was the addition of class specific attacks replacing things in Chivalry which would bring each knight class it's own style making knight vs knight more interesting as well as mixing it up quite a bit across the board.
    Forcing a type of knight to use a single type of weapon is not a valid option, no matter what

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

•  Now if only we can make Puppetry differ from Vodun in some significant way.
  • Is there a not requiring Penwize to spend almost 7 years to get one level task on the agenda, by any chance?  Eh? Eh?
  • Eld said:
    Kaie said:
     Now if only we can make Puppetry differ from Vodun in some significant way.
    Like by deleting jesters?
    How could that thought even enter your mind?!
  • Cardan said:
    Penwize said:
    Is there a not requiring Penwize to spend almost 7 years to get one level task on the agenda, by any chance?  Eh? Eh?
    We could list it right after 'Zap Penwize back to level 1' if you like?
    To be fair, it would still be faster for him to get to level 134 if you did that, and then made it back to what it was before. :P

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• @Penwize It has to stop sometime or you'll just break the game.
  • Azor said:
    @Penwize It has to stop sometime or you'll just break the game.
    But other IRE games don't have XP caps, and have people of way higher levels. :(
  • Multiclass sounds amazing but everyone is overthinking it. Just have it work like soulcage once every x number of hours you can change your class To one you have been previously. And if you want it to be balanced with a time mechanixc for skills have class change make you learn your skills again with lessond usable only in the class skills.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Katzchen said:
    Friztic said:
    I really like the idea of opening up the Knight classes, but I'm a bit disappointed with the idea that the different classes all get their own weapons instead of weapons being interchangeable. Seems kinda raw to give shiny new flavor to a couple of classes and leave Runewardens with the same old thing people are tired of. I'm sure it's not as bad as all that, though, just wanted to voice that concern.
    Agree that I really dislike the idea of forcing a class into one weapon sort, but for different reasons... I love duel wielding shiny swords, and I'd be really pissed if I was still infernal and suddenly forced to use maces, flails, morning stars, and warhammers.
    I personally find the image of a dual mace/warhammer wielding Infernal rather scary.
  • @Daslin: Is that because you think it's a cooler/more imposing visual, or because of the way blunt weapons currently work in terms of limb damage?
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    @Jhui thanks for getting my back bro.
  • Well, I think Antonius knew that and was trying to make the point of how strong it would be via a rhetorical question.
  • @Jhui: Because, funnily enough, people have different opinions, and I just can't see an infernal knight wielding maces as being anything other than kind of laughable.

Flails, on the other hand, are totally badass.
  • Personally, the imagery of maces caving plate armour into a knight's chest, suffocating the unfortunate, and following that with a thundering blow to the skull, pulping the brain into a meaty slush isn't something that - assuming a human frame of mind - I'd probably find joy with. Well, unless if I were the one delivering the meaty-slush-pulping. In which case I'd laugh hysterically.

• @Antonius: While I don't disagree that flails are awesome (sooooo awesome), I also can't see Mhaldorian knights wielding a peasant's weapon. Maces on the other hand are a symbol of power and station, both of which seem to fit the Mhaldorian mold better than a farming tool with spikes stuck on it.
  • For Multiclass thoughts...
    1-Some classes should have exclusivity (Ie you can't be a Paladin/infernal)
    2-I think it should be gimped in some manner (IE you can acheive up to 5 class skills perhaps? (this means primary allows all 3 skills and the secondary will allow the two main skills but not the third) (This means people will choose more selectively than everyone is now an alchemist/forestal/knight/priest))

3-On Flails with Knights we tried it once on a closed server... yeah lets just put it this way giving paladins dual wielded flails makes vivisect look like a childs toy.
    4-Chivalry needs it's own separate look.
    5-If this is the case then infernal/paladin/runewarden need to be brought in line so that forging/chivalry are the base skills and the unique skill would then be the 3rd skill (this prevents a necromantic paladin or chaotic paladin etc).
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • As far as Paladins go I would love to see forging replaced by a Blessings skill of some sort that makes it unique (Unique individual Knight buffs and/or knight/protege buffs not a generic we can give everyone blessings skill). It would be fun to toy around with different ideas but I think Chivalry needs to be thought about first before differentiation.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • I'd rather not see Paladins doing 'magic'. Just righteously tearing ass.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited June 2013
    Sylvance said:
    I'd rather not see Paladins doing 'magic'. Just righteously tearing ass.
    I don't see how blessings would be any more magical than devotion (which already includes several blessings in addition to rites).

"Righteously tearing ass" after buffing yourself up with the blessings of the gods is exactly how I envision paladins.