introduced my cousin to Achaea (his first MUD) [transcription of feedback]

AziAzi
edited June 2013 in North of Thera
(him = my cousin - I randomly sent him the link to the 'Welcome to Achaea' video on facebook.. the following is a transcription of our facebook messages from there on)

Me: 

Him: OKAY

Him: as entertaining as this game is, it is extremely confusing

Him: okay, finished the tutorial
name: doombreak

Me: You will probably want to change your name.
Him: The name was available when I made him. Why would I need to change?
Me: There are naming conventions. You want to fit the theme.
Tanris, Vayne, Lianca - those are good names. My name is Azi.
Him: Ah ya I get it. I wanted to use Sinex but the tutorial wasn't working with him.
Me: lol
Him: and speaking of lol
Me: ?
Him: pretty much the first things I ever did was cry laugh rofl and take a nap in the dirt. it was freaking hilarious
Me: Haha
Him: Oh and I punched myself in the face. And tried seppuku and eat dirt but none of those worked.
Me: You can emote some things, meaning they don't have a real effect other than showing people what your character is doing.
Me: but some commands are actual abilities like PUNCH, that really attacks someone or something, and you really have health.
Me: So they will probably attack you back and kill you. There are rules too, more like in-game laws, so don't go around just punching everything.

HONOURS DOOMBREAK --> He is a Plebian in Ashtan.

Me: hey, you joined the right city though!
Me: Ashtan is the tits!
Him: Yup. I beat the crap out of a flame guardian but not before it freaking hugged me. Lol "the tits"
Him: it was that or the evil one. I literally flipped a coin to decide.
Me: Nice! Mhaldor seems cool, it's new to me, but it would probably be harder to learn there.
Me: I hear they kill their novices for being incompetent.
Me: Ashtan is a little more laid back. You aren't required to join a House so I can teach you the basics there.
Me: I just made a character too so we can level together and stuff while we learn. After you get the hang of things and learn about the world, if you still want to join Mhaldor we can make the switch. I think newbies are allowed to do that.
Him: Ya I figured as much about the two cities they both seem cool. Alright that'll be awesome!
Him: We'll have to start tomorrow. How do I change my name though?
Me: NAMECHANGE <new name>
Me: It's easy but wait until we're on together tomorrow.
Him: Damn that simple.
Me: You can only do it one time though.
Him: Okay
Me: So we'll learn a little about classes and races and the cities and then when you choose which one you want to play
Me: You can pick a name that fits your character.
Him: Idk. I really like the feel of an Infernal Troll. It just sounds right to me
Me: Hmm. Troll is probably a good race for a knight but with the way stats work now it doesn't -really- matter
Me: Like I said though, Mhaldor would be a tricky place for you to start. You're prone to goofing off and they expect you to address people by title
Me: So not understanding titles and goofing off.. you'll probably die a lot there
Me: plus knights are stupid expensive for a newbie just starting out, at least they were
Me: it's probably easier to make gold now because it looks like they have pretty much taken all of the fun challenges out of the game
Me: theft is lame now, death is lame now, everyone has maps and combat systems now, and everyone and their mother is a dragon now
Me: if they make it hard to get gold now, the devs are worse than Riot
Him: *gulp*
Me: We'll learn the basics in Ashtan then switch later if you still want to.
Me: Ashtan is cool though. I guess there are a lot of Occultists there now. 
Me: They are like Mhaldor's Apostates but cooler.
Him: That will be good. I just hope my typing can keep up
Me: It's alright if you're slow. You don't need to be quick but for combat and
Me: we'll get to combat.........later
Me: http://www.achaea.com/image/babel-god-of-oblivion
Me: that's Ashtan's Divine Patron, Lord Babel, God of Oblivion
Him: Hmm. May wanna stick around in Ashtan
Me: :P I thought you would like that, he seems very much your style
Him: Okay. I'm gonna get in an episode of Naruto and then catch some sleep.
Me: Is that the anime you were talking about?
Him: Yeah it's awesome
Me: lol you playing Achaea doesn't equal me watching anime
Me: just saying.. anyway good night man cya tomorrow

=========================

@Sarapis - I hope this is useful to you as feedback. I didn't edit any of it. My cousin has never played a MUD or done much Roleplaying outside of Tabletop D&D, a long time ago. We are meeting up (online) tomorrow though, and I'm hoping he sticks around! With any luck, he'll come to love the game as much as I do!

Comments

• Your cousin does pass the age restrictions, yes?
  • He is old enough to drink in the U.S.

Are you asking because he watches anime? It's a popular thing at his college.
  • HataruHataru Midwest USA
    I think it was either the Naruto specifically or the whole trying to eat dirt thing maybe (he did seem young to me too).

Either way you gave him some good advice, I love Mhaldor to death but its not a good place for a true-newbie who wants to just joke about and be super casual while he figures out what RP is and how to play. It can be really overwhelming for that sort of player. From what he said I think Ashtan's a much better trial for him, but down the road (or even soon after he's acclimated) it might be less overwhelming and a better option for him if he's still interested.

If he goes Infernal in Ashtan, be sure to warn him about getting anathemia'd.
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Melodie says, "Get rekt scrubbbbb."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): You say, "Scrubbbssss."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • While you know your cousin better than I do, don't be too quick to dismiss the knight classes, especially if they're also interested in the matching House. Start-up isn't nearly as bad some people think (and most Knight Houses do what they can to help, as far as I am aware), and the roleplay around it is often jarring enough to be incredibly captivating to someone new to it. Think about it - what would be more intriguing? Running around chatting with a friend in Ashtan or joining a House that immediately immerses you into a completely new environment?

(That said, I understand this can be a hurdle with some new players. As I said, you know your cousin better than I.)

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Runewarden was my first class and I've never swapped from that. My fifteen minute orientation was really captivating and when you're starting out, I don't think any one class is going to be more difficult than another. You're learning the way things work and learning your class as you go along. Just uh.. knight classes in Ashtan, I can probably agree with the original assessment, at least regarding Houses.

I hope your cousin sticks around, @Azi.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Thank you all.

I think we are going to go over HELP ROLEPLAY, HELP POLICIES, HELP LOYALS, HELP LANGUAGE RULES.... We're probably just going to go over the HELP system in general. Once I am confident that he'll avoid embarrassing us both terribly, I will unleash him upon Achaea, in all his glorious newbness.

In seriousness, once he understands some basic commands and the policies, I will send him to the appropriate House for his desired class. So if he wants to go Infernal, I will ship him out to Mhaldor, and so on.

Jhaeli said:
    the roleplay around it is often jarring enough to be incredibly captivating to someone new to it. Think about it - what would be more intriguing? Running around chatting with a friend in Ashtan or joining a House that immediately immerses you into a completely new environment?
    You make a great point. Do not worry! I want him to experience that, for sure! Besides that - I want to play! Not just chat with my cousin. I'll pass him off to a House and some Ambassador Aides as a soon as possible :D
    As someone who wishes that they actually had someone to explain things to them before she screwed up her first chance at the house she really wanted to join because I was 13 and an immature blockhead of ADHD ridiculousness I think that if someone is really new to RP that it can be really beneficial to make sure they understand it at first, make sure they grasp what they're getting into before they really dive straight in so I think its commendable that you want to help your cousin out @Azi and I can see @Jhaeli's point about that immersion and getting right into it helping - but I've seen newbies really just facepalm trying to dive too head first in, not everyone needs that space to adjust to the type of world Achaea does but I think it can be immensely helpful to really give someone a sort of 'crash course' in whats expected of them in a world like Achaea with so many different rules, factions, religions and ultimately - with all the options! It can really help someone truly new to the world to get a few days to figure out who they want to be instead of sort of just fumbling along with it (can help to know this before hand too because many houses require backgrounds at some point! I know my background on Hat was shameful my first go around but the other two times I've done it I came in knowing what type of character I wanted to play and it was so much more seamless right from the beginning!)

If your cousin needs any help at all with knowing about Infernal stuff or Mhaldor or the rules there and the Truths to help formulate how he wants to play - feel free to send me a message! I may not always come across as the most cuddly person ICly and Hat herself can be pretty rigid (and I can be a little forum trolly at times because internet anonymity and what not gets the better of me) but I'm happy to help anyone who actually wants help and will listen!
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • @Sarapis - that would be taking a line out of context. I have already talked to him about old theft, old death, and what playing on an old client with no map or WALK TO command was like. He knows what I am referring to and still wants to give it a shot.

I am not going to feel bad for being honest and making a joke (the Riot line) and I hope you got more from that than just the lines you quoted. For the record, I have introduced six people to Achaea who either a) still play Achaea or b) play another IRE now. Making introductions is what I do. Getting them to stick around is your job :D
  • Thanks for making the intros!

For better or worse though, it's difficult to get into Achaea without other players, and the community aspects (Houses, cities, Orders, etc) are one of the draws, so it's incumbent on all of us to try and help retain players. We do what we can! We just can't do it alone.
  • I am definitely encouraging him to take part in the community aspect of the game, especially a House.

He's the type of person that I could see getting very involved in politics and religion, once he has been shown the ropes and orients himself in Achaea. 
  • AziAzi
    edited June 2013
    Is Doombreak an acceptable name under the new name rules?

It's growing on me.
  • JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    Probably, but it's going to make for a long list of titles and surnames that sound silly with his given name.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • AziAzi
    edited June 2013
    good point
  • Yeah, it's an acceptable name under the rules. A bit comic bookish but that's ok. Everybody's name doesn't have to have the same tenor to it.
  • New Alchemist ability.

Eat Dirt. Imbues alchemist with the properties of the terrain type they're occupying.

First one's free, @Sarapis. Hit me up.
  •  

FTFY

Namino said:
    New Alchemist ability.
    Geophagy Eat Dirt. Imbues alchemist with the properties of the terrain type they're occupying. Risk of random affliction, including nausea, paralysis and the occasional roundworm.

Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • thank you to all the people who have helped him so far, especially @Hataru and whatever Dwarf gave him minerals

I am actually sort of surprised at how quickly he is accomplishing house requirements for a true newbie

so thanks again for helping me get to have my cousin in my favorite game :)
    I'm gonna go with that it was probably @Dragonknight that's kinda his schtick. But like I said before, glad to help any time!
  • thought it might be useful to see how a true newbie is progressing, and under what circumstances

(update - DAY 2) [quick note: left him on his own immediately after joining Mhaldor/Maldaathi and passing him off to a Novice aide)

cousin: I really need a sword or something, decay just isn't cutting it
    me: <no response>
    (later)
    me: sorry, construction workers "accidentally" cut the power on my street. I think it's a cover up and uncle sam just tapped my phone lines but only time will tell
    me: I'll help you out tomorrow
    cousin: Lol. Okay

(update - DAY 2 cont.) [quick note: just kidding, no note this time]

me: sup
    cousin: Coyotes howling at the moon. But it's to hot to leave the window closed. So I'm listening to jazz while I try to find rest
    me: nice! wanna achaea?
    cousin: Wanna...hell yes! Shoulda.....no. I need to sleep. I got a sociology test tomorrow morning. Lets wait til noon
    me: im getting sean to srtart playing!
    cousin: Sweet. I got some tattoos and a ton of minerals. Lol he threatened to turn me into a statue if I didn't put them in the rift immediately. I also ratted up to lvl7
    me: nice
    cousin: still couldn't find a sword B(
    me: we will
    cousin: Oh and I bought myself some clothes and found some chain mail! Also I need you to take a look at my description.
    cousin: Well I'm gonna try and get some sleep now
    me: kewl, cya 2marrah breh

(update - DAY 3?) [quick note: I never actually logged in this day, which is funny]

me: sup
    me: get on
    cousin: working on it
    cousin: damn it, someone killed the imp lord
    (6 hours later)
    cousin: okay. killing pixies is becoming tedious, I've a small fortune and still no idea where to get a shortsword
    (2 hours later)
    cousin: okay finally got a longsword

(update - DAY 5?) [quick note: too lazy to transcribe, img was faster]
  • cousin: terrible. managed to walk to minia, find my way to a pixie and attack it. after that was like "nope never again"
    me: you should change your name
    cousin: okay well I'm on my way home now we'll talk more in a minute
    me: kk

cousin:
    cousin: that awkward moment when you realize that is wednesday addams
    cousin: she is so freaking adorable
    cousin: dad has some things he would like me to do so i'm gonna take care of that first then I'll be on
    (2 hours later)
    cousin: ok lets do this
    me: gimmie a sec
    (3 hours later)
    cousin: i'm thinking of asking lord icaru to be my mentor
    cousin: my god, I'm gonna be that guy that got to level 20 by killing nothing but rats and pixies
    (2 hours later)
    me: icaru probably a good mentor
    me: and...
    me: everyone gets to level 20 killing pixies, but skip the rats until after you get kicked out of minia
    cousin: it is, but i'm level 21 now.
    cousin: I don't have portals or minia now so now what am I killing
    me: you're not
    cousin: so what am I doing?
    me: are you still a Grunt?
    cousin: yea
    me: oh wait, you need level 25 to get next rank huh?
    cousin: yup
    me: try manara? you should be able to WALK TO there
    me: kill the (a)pathetic gnolls but be ready to run
    me: and make sure you have vitality tonic
    cousin: kay but it looks like mhaldor is under attack and I can't get out of the city.. AGAIN
    me: I'll grab you and take you close to manara
    cousin: k
    (20 minutes later)
    cousin: SHIT IM DEAD

(update - TODAY) [quick note: he was using the client.achaea.com client]

cousin: DUDE WHAT HAPPENED TO MY LAYOUT
    me: layout?
    cousin: Ya yesterday I had the box where all the text shows up, the input bar and a tab on the right for my map, inventory etc.
    cousin: Now my map has been moved to the lower left, I've got a new tab in the upper left, hmem bars level and a player icon in middle left, a message tab etc. everything has moved around!
    me: using client.achaea.com? they must have released a new one
    cousin: yeah I guess
    me: good time to switch to mudlet :P
    cousin: it looks nice but it was just so sudden and some of my keyboard commands stopped working. I'm doing a lot of work today but when I catch a break ill go look into dloading it
    cousin: carmain is not taking proteges right now who else did you say would be a good mentor
    me: idk figure this one out for yourself, find someone you like
    cousin: I picked Icaru
    me: oh that sucks
    cousin: why?!
    me: messin with you

cousin: who the hell keeps attacking us?
    me: Hashan. I think
    cousin: its annoying cuz everytime they do that, the rest of the maldaathi lock up the lower city and lay a bunch of traps down outside the city, so no one can get in or out
    me: really? Naga don't have that problem
    cousin: pff. are we attacking them back at all?
    me: I think we have been.. for a couple hundred years.. idk
    me: i'm pretty sure hashan is weak because their seneschal keeps trying to recruit naga novices
    me: it's a funny spin on uncle sam's posters.. "Are you uninformed, uneducated, weak, and malleable? Your destiny awaits, with the Royal Navy of Hashan!"
    cousin: well shit. anyways  im 2 levels from 25, then its just some small stuff like getting a journal, checking my tats, getting the vials, and makeing sure i know mhaldor like the back of my hand
    me: ummm, journals are 5k.. vials aren't super cheap
    cousin: ..............*&$# on a %^*& top where $^**(% will $**&$% and the gods %*$(* till its soooo far up the $^$*$*^* and they will all have to $%#& SIDEWAYS!
    me: what?
    cousin: <swearing> on a <swearing> top where <swearing><swearing> and the gods <swearing> till its sooooo far up the <swearing> and they will all have to <swearing> SIDEWAYS!
    cousin: censoring myself
    cousin: where am i gonna get all that gold? i need to save some for like food and vial refills
    cousin: and i'm already out of health potion
    me: I did warn you about the gold thing ---> (see original post)
    me: I don't know what to tell you man
    me: I make all my gold selling nudes of well known (and some lesser known) players that I collected over an incredibly tedious 14 year long campaign of tell snooping
    me: and we can't both do that, it's kind of a niche market
    me: make a siren alt and go mudsex Rangor for credits, or another suitable citizen of Eleusis or Hashan
    cousin: .....what? does that work?!
    me: sure! just make sure they have lots of artefacts and little to no talent on the battlefield
    me: *sagenod* 
    me: or you can have my custom vial
    me: every time you sip it, it refills with a different liquor
    me: or at least, that's what you could tell amunet
    me: she'd probably give you a couple 100k for it
    me: but get the gold before you hand it over and make sure you're out of ashtan before she realized you duped her
    cousin: are you serious???
    me: NO! if you ever pull some shit like I'll drive your car through your garage door while you're sleeping
    me: go hunt rats newb
  • Sedraxis said:
    And some of the editing/rewording of our conversations is a little unnecessary.
    It's Achaea. Faking logs is second nature to most people here!
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
    Glad to have been of help @Sedraxis! You were one of the first newbies in awhile I've had a good time with, plenty of even 'true' newbies come in with the wrong sort of attitude (ie - thinking its akin to a text version of WoW or thinking that reading, and often misreading, a helpful makes them all powerful or come in with egos right from the gate) but I can truly say you seemed to have a good one! If you ever need any sort of help again or have any questions, don't shy from shooting me a message or asking away!
  • TitonusTitonus Youngstown, Ohio
    Azi said:
    thought it might be useful to see how a true newbie is progressing, and under what circumstances

(6 hours later)
    cousin: okay. killing pixies is becoming tedious, I've a small fortune and still no idea where to get a shortsword
    (2 hours later)
    cousin: okay finally got a longsword

Arms of the Maldaathi has like, 20 shortswords for 1000 golds... they're priced low specifically for newbies...you should have him do some exploring in the city shops.

• only the bit about selling nudes, siren alts, & the vial weren't in the actual conversation

seriously though, I really appreciate you guys welcoming @Sedraxis to the wonderful world of Achaea. I am super excited to have my cousin playing with me and Sed, you are selling yourself short! You are smart and capable and I look forward to seeing what you can contribute to the game..

because as @Sarapis pointed out, the experience is pretty much dependent on the players