Being a raid (defense/offense) leader.

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I dont lead for good reason!

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited June 2013
    Leading sucks, and the only way it gets better is with a lot of experience. Which means a lot of suck, getting people killed, and missed opportunities while you're getting there. I hate it. :( I don't think combat leading will ever be my thing.

That KoTH sounded sad though. Bonko and Eari should have been leading each team, not been on the same, or split up if you wanted to give Aepas/others the experience leading, and had two newbie leaders lead. One experienced raid leader with another highly experienced raider against someone who's learning is just not going to be fun for anyone.

Combat is fun when it's semi balanced, and the same for raids. :)

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• XerXer Langley
    It's easier to start by leading people who don't care about dying or losing fights <.<

Man, I miss the days of Ayoxele and I versus 3 ~ 8 Eleusians in Blackforest or Eastern Ithmia after an exterm or totem smudge. Was just random wild fun that didn't have any real consequence (some exp, tilted both ways) but definitely helped me work through spam and other aspects of raid combat and leading. That somehow led to me leading small groups, then eventually leading raids. I'm not a real raid leader until I get 7 earrings, wings, buckawns, wand of portals, and enough credits to fund whatever class distribution I want, when I want it though!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • RuthRuth Singapore

Imo, if you want to be a combat leader, you need to know which strategies will be the most effective and know how each class synergizes with each other well. For that KotH, the teams weren't too bad. One had a solid strategy, the other did not. At least I didn't force leadership on them outside of an arena event like I did to you! 

"Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

edited June 2013
    @Ruth if you mean forcing it on me, I think I have repressed that memory. D: I just remember Vadi forcing it on me repeatedly. :P

ETA: Oh no, wait. Maybe I do remember. That time wasn't so bad, because you all knew what you were doing though. And if you force me to lead, you can't yell at me when you all die! :D Plus I don't think we all died. I really just don't know when/how to lead a rush, that's my main problem.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Had no idea Mhaldor was so... fun?
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited June 2013
    Ruth said:

For that KotH, the teams weren't too bad. One had a solid strategy, the other did not. At least I didn't force leadership on them outside of an arena event like I did to you! 

WHAT?!
    LMFAO The teams were @Bonko and @Earionduil and some random newb Vs. @Ruth @Me and @Aepas.-facepalm-  

@Rangor yep..

Edit: You know what, I'm sorry. I'll try better next KOTH. I appreciate all the help you give. 

• What are you noobs whining about some KOTH?  I don't understand this.
    -----------------------------
    @DontarionDrakor for twitter boredom.

edited June 2013
    Daeir said:
    Mishgul said:
    It is difficult to lead certain groups, simply because everyone is constantly repeating the wrong things, speaking melodramatically instead of giving proper information and getting butthurt too easily when anyone tries to correct them. Also I need to move to the land of giant spiders. There are definitely two halves to leadership, and no matter how smart you are, you can't lead 200 catherine tate's against the marines.
    Totally agree with this - it's why finding your "crew" in Achaea is so important for enjoying combat in the long term, imo. I used to drop my shit at dying in raids before and was really not enjoying myself, but after finding my niche with the Targossians and just manning up and eating a few deaths, I find I am having a lot more fun and being a lot more useful to boot.

Leading people who overtly care about their delicious txtp just ends up in pain. I'm so thankful that the majority of the Targossians do not seem to care how often they die in raid situations, and love that the atmosphere is as chill as it is when we get hammered.
    Agreed. People assume sometimes that when I say I don't like being jumped/ganked, I'm somehow adverse to losing exp/dying. Wrong, I just hate that paranoid feeling that anyone could come out of nowhere and try to kill me/ruin what I'm doing at any second. :( I like to hunt because I find it relaxing listening to music, but that paranoid feeling ruins it. Don't give a toss about exp, I die heaps in raids and other conflict, and the 2 minutes embracing death is boring, but other than that... oh well, bring it on! :D I actually feel a little bad when I get kills in raids and stuff, because that exp/kill shot could have gone to someone who actually needs it, not just to get me another .2%!

• I want an ostrich now in game.  Crap, doesn't bonko have one?
    -----------------------------
    @DontarionDrakor for twitter boredom.

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Didn't you learn from the episode of Scrubs, where J.D and Turk got chased by them?!
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Emus are rabid.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Achilles said:
    If you are hopelessly outmatched (or evenly matched) all you (I) can do is make it as uninteresting as possible (for them) and minimize losses.  They will get bored, or reduce their numbers if they really want you to engage them and then when they log out because they aren't having fun you can take your team of 20 and go raid them back while they sleep, if they still beat you you can just rage on the forums about how OP pit is and save some face.
    fix'd
  • Achilles said:
    Grandue said:
    Achilles said:
    If you are hopelessly outmatched (or evenly matched) all you (I) can do is make it as uninteresting as possible (for them) and minimize losses.  They will get bored, or reduce their numbers if they really want you to engage them and then when they log out because they aren't having fun you can take your team of 20 and go raid them back while they sleep, if they still beat you you can just rage on the forums about how OP pit is and save some face.
    fix'd
    Grandue posts as if he has ever led anything.  LOL.
    Haha, I've missed you. Glad I'm back.

p.s. if I've never led anything then stop targeting me first god damnit!

• Plz stop killing me, thx.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Silas said:

Hahaha, I almost forgot our old Ashtani target order. Forget the people doing shit, kill the scrubs nobody likes.

Gee, I thought I just had a Teemo global taunt.

• Does tremolo still exist?
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Although I don't actually lead raids, I am the leader of the city, and while Dontarion opened with the importance of knowing your enemies' capabilities it is still more important to know your own. Watching the inept and inexperienced Hashani forces, I have found the importance of making sure each class knows what is expected of them in a raid situation. Common sense I suppose, but that is where we are at. Leader's need to know what they are working with and communicate to their forces what is expected of them, especially in group with far less knowledge and experience as compared to seasoned veterans.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    I find the side with more kittens wins most. Or was it flowerpots. @Mishgul what was it again?
  • Banish the called target as soon as Tagg Enfeebles so that they are at half health in the void, possibly freaking out, but not really, just thanking their gods that Militis smoked too much dope before the raid :D
  • Yeah about that...
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I lead once. We killed people. I never lead again.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • ok so i feel like writing here well the game's changed some over time because i used to carry a team partially by just shutting down certain people while having the rest of the group target someone else but these days w/ stock systems and all even the people you never heard of who've barely touched the arena can cure at some basic level and that's kinda shitty really it's not like you get too many free kills off of hhhehehe let's heartseed cuz i'm pretty sure this person's never fought a sylvan before so they won't know what to do and you can't really rely on spam to mask the fact that you're trying to cleave in the middle of a group everyone sees that ish even if they still try to do stuff like aconite you to stop you now ruling out reliance on totally cheap kills based on spam or inexperience it's a wonder i can manage to do anything anymore lol at an individual level you can still somewhat carry your team through certain situations that i won't really explain because i don't think my mic is working one two one two okay looks fine carrying on you can still do good work by yourself even ignoring the part about leadership ah my biggest secret is oh crap i have to go if you actually read this i feel bad for you son i got 99 problems but suspense ain't one

hit me
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • Not enough rambling and random references to hookers, overall, I give it 1.5 out of a possible 5 Xenomorphs.

• edited July 2013
    When it's really challenging we used to pair up classes. 2 per target.

Bm/occie
    Bm/knight
    Occie/knight
    Knight/monk
    bm/monk

etc

Anything that can shut a target down with a quickness.
  • basically, you pair a BM, Occie, or Monk with anything and it turns out aight.