*Lord Sartan, Mhaldor, Events, and Great Rewards*

Comments

• Sherazad said:
    What stops people from starting this ICly though? Micaelis did a contest himself a while back which was open to every Mhaldorian. Mhaldor's a dictatorship but that's not really something that prevents this to happen ICly. 

EDIT: I haven't heard about this ICly (I do check nstat and messages). And the grand prize is an iPad mini. :/ An IC? event that awards an iPad Mini. I mean, I'm sure people plan OOCly about IC stuff. But.. iPad mini as the grand prize. D:
    If you read the thread, the first approximately 500 posts are calling this a crazy and ridiculous and dumb idea.

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    edited May 2013
    Cooper said:
    Sherazad said:
    What stops people from starting this ICly though? Micaelis did a contest himself a while back which was open to every Mhaldorian. Mhaldor's a dictatorship but that's not really something that prevents this to happen ICly. 

EDIT: I haven't heard about this ICly (I do check nstat and messages). And the grand prize is an iPad mini. :/ An IC? event that awards an iPad Mini. I mean, I'm sure people plan OOCly about IC stuff. But.. iPad mini as the grand prize. D:
    If you read the thread, the first approximately 500 posts are calling this a crazy and ridiculous and dumb idea.
    I did read it. I honestly thought it was all a dream. And then Vadi posted. >.> The intention is nice. The execution is more like wtf.

On a more serious note:

Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• Delphinus said:
    Berenene said:
    Sherazad said:

This isn't the first time a competition has been run that has awarded RL prizes for IC events. Granted, this is the first one I've heard of that is being player run, but IIRC, the year 300 saw one of the prizes as either a replica sword from the LoTR movies or a samurai sword.
    IRE has dropped plenty of real-world swag on people, but crucially, those weren't tied to IG organisations. They weren't endorsing any line-blurring.

This is in the same territory as player-org forums, mandatory org-based OOC clans, and everything else that sits in that skeevy "I'm part of a real-life team" area. You aren't. You play a character.
    You play a character, but you are also playing a game. I've never heard of mandatory org-based OOC clans, but I've certainly heard of org-based OOC clans.  Sometimes things like this keep players sane while playing roles and the forums aren't exactly the healthiest place to express your OOC factional concerns without backlash from other factions.  Organizations have always had a sense of RL factional unity simply because these are the persons you are interacting with the most in the game.  Hell, some scandanavian dude kicked my alt out of Eleusis because he found out it was me, yesterday. These sorts of things have existed for a long time and will likely continue to exist for a long time as long as people continue to pop online for raid defenses from skype group chat requests. All factions do this. Some people call their city leaders at work complaining about in game situations and if that doesn't require an established foundation of RL factional ties, than I don't know what does.

In closing, I don't seem to remember anyone jumping down Trey's throat when he was offering forging orders in exchange for pizza, correct me if I'm wrong.  Xenomorph has at least made provisions to justify everything ICly.  If anything, people should be complaining about the fact that it's an ipad mini and not something more practical like paying my rent.

• edited June 2013
    The reason this is even gracing the forums to begin with is so those non Mhaldorians, those little guys still on the fence, can take the Birkenstocks off, and come try on some boots where you got a team with a strong as oak handshake willing to treat them like like they deserve, and encourage them to have fun and reach for the stars. It just takes one statement from our god making you lose your really bad gamble, "sorry to say it guys, they ain't lying, and they are good for every word." That said, instead of kicking you while you are down, I help you up and shake your hand, and offer you a chance to be my peer on the team, as your friend and protector.
    I -am- the Cataclysm Switchblade.
  • Cahin said:
    Delphinus said:
    Berenene said:
    Sherazad said:
    something
    something
    something
    something about OOC org-based clans.
    IMO: Problems with org-based OOC clans;

A. Immersion breaking, I don't need/want to get to know every citymate's ooc personality.

B. Cancerous Metagaming
  • Medi said:
    Cahin said:
    Delphinus said:
    Berenene said:
    Sherazad said:
    something
    something
    something

A. Immersion breaking, I don't need/want to get to know every citymate's ooc personality.

B. Cancerous Metagaming
    Again, I've never heard of mandatory org-based ooc clans, so point A seems moot.  As far as metagaming is concerned, the same could be said about any sort of OOC clan.

• Cahin said:
    Medi said:
    Cahin said:
    Delphinus said:
    Berenene said:
    Sherazad said:
    something
    something
    something

B. Cancerous Metagaming
    Again, I've never heard of mandatory org-based ooc clans, so point A seems moot.  As far as metagaming is concerned, the same could be said about any sort of OOC clan.
    Well, the issue with it being org-based and not mandatory means exactly as you imply, some won't join or some will join and quit if they want. And yes, I agree, OOC clans kill achaea. I've given up on not being in them, though. I'd rather talk to somebody than nobody while we all go down in flames.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    While I commend Xenomorph on his pro-activeness in trying to make Mhaldor the best environment possible for players and can't technically say there is anything wrong with giving away real monetary prizes, I have to agree, I don't think its a good idea.

Mhaldorian players are already known for their quite, let's call it, aggressive OOC recruitment programs, but that combined with Xenomorph's hazy posts promising massive prizes I think tips the scales of the IC/OOC barrier. As has been stated, IRE has given away similar things before but that was a different scenario. It was official, drew players into the general population, and was available to anyone.

Again, there is technically no reason you cannot do this but it extremely OOC. I would be fine with such rewards as Mhaldor paid for them all from their own coffers IG, but I doubt Apple takes gold sovereigns and the heads of heretics as legal tender. It's also a bit offensive that you would imply that other cities should be even able to put up that kind of capital to do such a thing even if we wanted, not to mention I would feel very uncomfortable asking more well off Hashani player to send me money for prizes.

@Cahin Comparing Trey's situation to this is ridiculous, he is a single person who needed to eat. It was a totally different situation.
    edited June 2013
    Afaik, @Xeno will buy the iPad mini with his own money.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• HataruHataru Midwest USA
    @Vayne honestly its not entirely a different situation. You're either okay with people trading IC things for OOC or you're not. You can't be pissed that someone is giving away OOC gifts for OOC acquired ideas to try and help make things better IC and yet at the same time be okay with someone giving away 100% IC things for 100% OOC payment.

I do not see how you can rationalize that one is okay and not the other. Your opinion here in and of itself, is ridiculous.

(TO CLARIFY: this response is not about my level of approving of this tactic at large, there are things I both like and dislike about it, this is just about your sub-par justification and wishy washy stance.)
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Melodie says, "Get rekt scrubbbbb."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): You say, "Scrubbbssss."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    edited June 2013

Sherazad said:
    That is all well and good, my point is that you could not expect all the cities to do something like that, I know I couldn't.

@Hataru You're right, I should say that I am not approving of any unofficial IC/OOC transaction, but their is definitely a difference between a guy strapped for cash doing what he can to eat, and an IC org giving away OOC prizes. They are the same category but I would argue they are different in degree. That said, beyond that most of us know there are many kinds of other questionable IC/OOC exchanges that go on as well. It's inappropriate, as many have stated. Unfortunately there is nothing stopping it besides the disapproval of the playerbase at large.
    edited June 2013
    Vayne said:

Sherazad said:

That is all well and good, my point is that you could not expect all the cities to do something like that, I know I couldn't.

I don't know who would expect from something like that from all the cities. If Xeno has the money, he can do whatever with it, just hopefully it won't be associated with anything IC or keep the contest strictly IG.

As for Trey, I'm fine with it because I've never heard him make the deal IG. For all my character knows, he was just being generous with his forgings.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• Someone from Shallam a while back offered a good amount of credits to someone who would make a character in Shallam and stay there. I think it ended up going to a Vaehl alt.

• Someone please explain.  Is this fo real?

Them earrings look siq
  • HataruHataru Midwest USA
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Melodie says, "Get rekt scrubbbbb."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): You say, "Scrubbbssss."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • I like the idea of rewarding people IRL for contributing to energizing the game. This just seems very extreme, and I thought the tone presented (glorified denizens?) was unhealthy for the game as a whole - although it could have been intended to come across as more humorous than anything else. In any case I hope it works out well for you all.

i'm a rebel

• Tesha confirmed for in the running for ipad mini.

• No thank you! I have already been shown a lot of generosity. I hope you guys get some cool ideas from this, though. Making the game fun for other people can be very rewarding, especially if it brings a boost of activity and excitement in your city. Good luck!

i'm a rebel

• Ugh, I told him it should have been a Samsung Galaxy S4. Nobody could turn that down.

• Oh, it's real? I thought it was an elaborate joke that I was too dense to get. I guess I need to go back and re-read this thread...
  • Silas said:
    This thread is why people think Mhaldorians are weird.
    weird and ridiculously good looking and if you don't agree go look at our pictures. <3 Love ya babe

• edited June 2013