Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Switching from Serpent to Blademaster

DaeirDaeir AustraliaPosts: 6,266Member, Secret Squirrel @@ - Legendary Achaean
I'm considering making the move, after a long period of not really having much fun with the Serpent class in a combat sense anymore. I've always wanted to try out a breaking class properly and BM seems like it has the flavor and the mechanics I'm after, but I'm not really sure what to expect.

What is the general idea when fighting as a Blademaster, and assuming that I only have 1.5 trans to work with, where should I dump my initial lessons? On top of this, what should I aim to learn first?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Comments

• AgravainAgravain Posts: 114Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Trans twoarts, Striking to feet. Grab a limb counter.

BM is easy as piss.
    General idea: 

You want to prep both legs and then break them in one slash while also proning them. At that point you just impale, and either impaleslash/bladetwistx3, or bladetwistx4/5. If they have a lot of mana, you'll want to try and throw an impaleslash in and a broken torso. As you can attack faster than most other people can attack, sticking a broken torso will be absolutely no trouble.

That is pretty much it. Things to know to assist this: 

Hamstring prevents remounting and hinders running(As in, moving in and out of several rooms quickly) as there is a delay in walk time. 
    Feet dismounts. 
    Knee prones. 
    Airfist prevents parry and completely negates guarding. However, parry should be a non-issue regardless of airfist. Would personally only use it against Monks. 
    AlcinaeDaeir
  • AntidasAntidas Posts: 1,332Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    im disowning you :(

YueEldDaeirSherazad
  • NyboeNyboe Posts: 83Member ✭✭ - Stalwart
    Blademastears at the moment are too predictable in fights. They only have 1 method of killing that is used 99 percent of the time as the other methods are either not viable or involve luck(voidfist and then lock)

Also blademasters will have to usually break both legs twice in a given impaleslash duration if the enemy has clotting which is not easy to do considering you have to constantly airfist every 15 seconds, raze shield/rebounding like every 10 seconds and while you giving leg breaks you can't really put any pressure with just a slash and a strike. I don't have evade yet so I can't really try the moving out of the room and then moving back in to to finish the leg prep but right now its hard to do a broken star against classes that can put a lot of pressure especially against Occultists.

If you want a limb prep class monk is good for that as they can at least put damage pressure while their prepping limbs, they just don't have air fist and evade like blademasters, but monks have Kai Choke, Kai Heal and Deliverance for the tradeoff.

Basically what I am saying is you'll get bored of limb prepping when you find out that is the only thing blademasters can do as a kill option.
    But every class will eventually get boring after while.

Just stick to Serpent.
    XerSidoniaYueWessuxSherazadSylvanceBambizlo
    edited May 2013
    Not true, honestly.

People just haven't explored (consistently) the other methods because that 'one' tactic is incredibly efficient and will kill just about anybody.
    JhuiXerSherazadSylvance
  • IocunIocun Posts: 3,505Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited May 2013
    Nyboe said:
    Blademastears at the moment are too predictable in fights. They only have 1 method of killing that is used 99 percent of the time as the other methods are either not viable or involve luck(voidfist and then lock)
    Brokenstar, damage, willpower drain, mana lock, and all sorts of combinations thereof. The nice thing is that they are all closely related for a blademaster, so it's possible to move from one to another mid-fight. Sure, many BM strategies involve limb breaks, but they are much less necessary for a BM than they are for, say, a monk or dragon.

Most classes don't have a huge array of viable kill methods against able targets and blademasters are really quite a bit better off than some others in that respect.
    XerSherazad
    Agravain said:
    Not true, honestly.

People just haven't explored (consistently) the other methods because that 'one' tactic is incredibly efficient and will kill just about anybody.
    Their other kill tactics but their bad compared to breaking legs and brokenstar. Now if you are going to make the argument about the blademaster class being "unexplored" that is a debatable topic.
    I said consistently, because that one method of breaking legs and brokenstarring from it is efficient enough to work against the majority of people. Sure, other tactics have been "explored", but regularly utilised? Nope. They don't need to be. My point is that brokenstar isn't underpowered in any way.
    SherazadSeftin
  • YueYue Posts: 290Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I'm pretty sure some Ashuran Blademaster was requiring and testing HR3+'s on their ability to combat using only Striking. Totally viable. I have seen BMs finish fights with nothing but Striking/Shindo.

What no

Unless you're fighting someone who has never played achaea before
    Simoln
    edited May 2013
    No, striking and shindo combined can't kill anyone. If you remove brokenstar from the blademaster class the removal of that ONE skill alone would probably destroy the class.
    Everyone thinks that blademasters should fight on par with all the other classes but everyone is forgetting that the classes such as Druid or the Alchemist already have a lot of travel utility and raid utility.
    Blademasters have no raid utillity AND no travel utility. So thus they must make up for it by their combat, but right now their combat is barely on par with the other classes thanks to brokenstar which is the saving grace for the class.

What I am saying is that blademasters need more ways to kill an enemy and not have to rely on brokenstar every time.

Yeah sure brokenstar is a reliable method, but other classes also have reliable kill methods as well PLUS they have utility.

Edit: Okay I guess dash can be used for travel but blademaster class still feels lacking. With the blademaster class update with just a nerf to voidfist and a buff to flamefist didn't add anything for blademasters. Other classes appear to be getting nice changes, while blademasters got a slap in the face.I would say about 30 percent of the blademaster skills are inferior/useless skills(Not even exaggerating, I can list out each skill for you and explain why its inferior/useless if you don't believe me). Even flamefist and icefist are rather useless as you can't stack fist attacks. You have to choose one of the four fist and obviously a blademaster will always choose voidfist or airfist over flamefist or icefist.
    SimolnYueHhaosSherazadZeonSylvance
  • EldEld Posts: 3,946Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Not sure how mindnet/fullsense/clarity/leaping/bounding/evade don't count as utility. Killing someone with only striking might be possible if you got super lucky with voidfist against someone without focus or tumble. Certainly not viable. But if you count deathstrike as finishing a fight with nothing but striking/shindo, sure, I've seen that.
    YueSherazadSylvance
    Blademasters are not the top utility class, but they still have some things, like evade, waterwalking, leaping, fullsense, mindnet, dash. And their combat is most certainly not only "barely on par with other classes thanks to brokenstar".

Iocun said:
    Blademasters are not the top utility class, but they still have some things, like evade, waterwalking, leaping, fullsense, mindnet, dash. And their combat is most certainly not only "barely on par with other classes thanks to brokenstar".
    Evade, mindnet, fullsense, leaping and dash are all good. Waterwalking is a bit a of waste of a skill as water walking boots are easy to get. But my point is you just listed all the strong parts of shindo.

Shindo also has a lot of useless things such as shindo burst, shin heal/mana, phoenix,etc.

Do other classes have this many useless skills? Maybe I am just being too pessimistic.
    Nim
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaPosts: 6,266Member, Secret Squirrel @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited May 2013
    A transcendent ability shouldn't be complete trash. Is Phoenix really that bad?

Also: how badly am I going to miss line-of-sight/area attacks? I'm assuming BM doesn't have any, at least from what I can see.
  • SimolnSimoln Posts: 136Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Absolutely no area/LOS. Get your discounted Lupine while you still can, if you haven't switched already.
    edited May 2013
    Nyboe said:
    Do other classes have this many useless skills?
    Oh, definitely. Name me a class and I'll list all the useless or near-useless abilities it has.

And phoenix is really powerful.
  • AchillesAchilles Los AngelesPosts: 2,333Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    BM impale is really good (much better than knight impale) hindering, kneestrikes stops propping totems, annihilation is useful for breaking up entrenched groups.

And earrings and wings pretty much trump all class travel skills anyways.
  • AntoniusAntonius Posts: 4,200Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Simoln said:
    Absolutely no area/LOS. Get your discounted Lupine while you still can, if you haven't switched already.
    I'm pretty sure it's not discounted, though. I imagine they'll have to purchase SHOOT when they switch to a class that doesn't have it.
    Nyboe said:
    No, striking and shindo combined can't kill anyone. If you remove brokenstar from the blademaster class the removal of that ONE skill alone would probably destroy the class.
    Everyone thinks that blademasters should fight on par with all the other classes but everyone is forgetting that the classes such as Druid or the Alchemist already have a lot of travel utility and raid utility.
    Blademasters have no raid utillity AND no travel utility. So thus they must make up for it by their combat, but right now their combat is barely on par with the other classes thanks to brokenstar which is the saving grace for the class.

What I am saying is that blademasters need more ways to kill an enemy and not have to rely on brokenstar every time.

Yeah sure brokenstar is a reliable method, but other classes also have reliable kill methods as well PLUS they have utility.

Edit: Okay I guess dash can be used for travel but blademaster class still feels lacking. With the blademaster class update with just a nerf to voidfist and a buff to flamefist didn't add anything for blademasters. Other classes appear to be getting nice changes, while blademasters got a slap in the face.I would say about 30 percent of the blademaster skills are inferior/useless skills(Not even exaggerating, I can list out each skill for you and explain why its inferior/useless if you don't believe me). Even flamefist and icefist are rather useless as you can't stack fist attacks. You have to choose one of the four fist and obviously a blademaster will always choose voidfist or airfist over flamefist or icefist.

Did you just ignore every post prior to this one?
    HhaosSherazad
    Also can anyone elaborate on the whole 'Killing people with just striking/shindo', considering the disagrees.

@Antonius, I meant its cheaper if he buys it as a serpent rather than as a BM, hence discount. @Agravain, @Dorn and other notable BMs have locked people with just Striking loops, so it is viable. Extremely difficult, but still possible.
    YueAntidasHhaos
    edited May 2013
    Are you saying striking with slashes? Thereby using twoarts. If not, I'd like to see this. Considering striking speed is slowed without being preceded by twoarts.

It's also impossible unless you factor in: Breaks, Mana drain (Good luck doing that with just striking - you'll need to use bladetwist or some serious l3 band pommel+focus aff/insomnia spam to achieve this)
    just Striking loops
    You'll have to get the logs from Dorn. He said he's done it, I'm inclined to blindly believe him because cats.
    edited May 2013
    It's almost definitely not true. (Striking speed is 2.2s I think. So definitely impossible).

I assume he meant pommelstrike + striking.

Pretty much disagreed with me for no reason, jerk
    He "almost definitely" used Voidfist, which is still Striking. Luck is a huge factor, but that doesn't make it impossible. At least my disagrees don't give you negative forum points? I'm not a jerk. :(
    FOCUS
    Nyboe said:

Iocun said:
    Evade, mindnet, fullsense, leaping and dash are all good. Waterwalking is a bit a of waste of a skill as water walking boots are easy to get. But my point is you just listed all the strong parts of shindo.

Shindo also has a lot of useless things such as shindo burst, shin heal/mana, phoenix,etc.

Do other classes have this many useless skills? Maybe I am just being too pessimistic.
    You just called Pheonix useless. I guess it's not as useful frighteningly overpowered as it used to be, but it's definitely still useful. Especially considering the whole Blademaster being a limb damage class deal. 

Blademaster is the strongest 1v1 class. 
  • EldEld Posts: 3,946Member @@ - Legendary Achaean

Nyboe said:

Iocun said:

Yeah, burst is pretty useless, but health/mana trans and phoenix are great.
    Nim
  • SenaSena Posts: 3,825Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Simoln said:
    @Antonius, I meant its cheaper if he buys it as a serpent rather than as a BM, hence discount. @Agravain, @Dorn and other notable BMs have locked people with just Striking loops, so it is viable. Extremely difficult, but still possible.
    If you buy the cheaper bow as a serpent and then change class, you won't be able to shoot with it. You won't get a discount unless you stay as a serpent or change to knight.
    KyrraAntidas
Sign In to Comment.