What are you reading?

Comments

• Anaidiana said:
    Revas said:
    Been hooked on the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher as of late. On White Night right now and sadly I think there's only four more left :(

...so far. There's more to come. His story is far from over, IMHO.

I think book 14 comes out in a couple of months. Should be done with the series and the Codex Alara long before that. Can't wait either way!

Think I'm going to start on the Wheel of Time series next in the mean time.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Just finished reading No Country for Old Men. It was strange. The style got me confused more than a few times. And it was sad. So casually sad. Just like real life. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Calculus 7e by James Stewart. The character development is lacking, the plot moves a bit too fast to keep up at times, and the prose is ponderous at best. 

I hear the sequels are even worse.
  • Yesss, I just read Cold Days - Dresden Files.. that's my favorite series, ever.
    And now I'm reading a book called The Dark Glory War. Cidusii's player recommended it. So far so good!
    I got the Dune books and I keep staring at them, and they keep staring at me. Gonna need a to be prepared to jump into that.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Anyone read Blackdog, by K.V. Johansen? The prose is quite good, the characters and plot so far rather entertaining and there is no guilt about starting yet another series because the book is a stand-alone. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• FitzFitz Fire and Spice
    started Ishmael by Quinn today. A friend recommended it. Not very gripping so far about it that I don't mind putting it down, but the starting premise is interesting.

• EilonaEilona United Kingdom
    I'm reading Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince in Italian. I just completed my set of the improved translation of the books, only to find out that next week a gorgeous new box set comes out. Oh well!

In English I'm reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
  • Not reading...as I listen to them instead while I work, but Brandon Sanderson's The Way of King's in audio is unbelievably awesome, can't wait for the next book in the series. Also listening to Riyria (Revelations and Chronicles), and the Iron Druid Chronicles. 
  • I just finished Geomancer by Ian Irwin.

Honestly, it was like a bacon sandwich made with thick stale bread. Great in the middle, but disappointing and mildly repulsive at the start and finish. Not enough to tempt me onto the next book in the series when I have so many other choices.

Next up to the plate is Anathem by Neal Stephenson.
  • Fitz said:
    started Ishmael by Quinn today. A friend recommended it. Not very gripping so far about it that I don't mind putting it down, but the starting premise is interesting.
    Yeah, that was one of my favorites for a while. Still is, I guess. The sequel "Story of B" is pretty awesome too, but the start is kind of slow and not very immersing. It's great though once you're into it. The Holy is also decent. The rest of his stuff is pretty lame though. 
    Gentleman Bastards: Republic of Thieves is available for purchase!

• I've just finished Republic of Thieves; I'm now* re-reading The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell.  I was given the second and third books in that trilogy for Christmas, but hadn't got around to reading them.

*Not re-reading at this precise moment, because it's drying on my office radiator**.  Issues with rain and longer-than-planned walks through town (and not realising that my bag was open). Oops.

**Also because I'm at work, and so I'm working, obviously.  As this post demonstrates.
  • Just started reading the Glass Castle.
  • Working my way through the Horus Heresy novels chronologically. Made more of a challenge because I have to get my local library to order them in specially for me!
    Hiroma tells you, "I just got to listen to someone complain about your deadly axekick being the bane of their existence."
    Archdragon Mizik Corten, Herald of Ruin says, "Man, that was a big axk."
    Hellrazor Cain de Soulis, Sartan's Hammer says, "Your [sic] a beast."
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I'm looking for a hero.

Well... sort of. I'm looking for a little inspiration and I'd like something a little different. I think my asianness makes me naturally inclined towards tragic and Byronic heroes so what I'd like is for someone to recommend me a book with a protagonist who isn't like that. Preferably someone who's idealistic and naive, or maybe outright wants to be a hero like in a fairy tale and actually achieves it.

• Ooh. @Skye, if you like young adult (on the younger end) fiction, Where the Streets Had a Name by Randa Abdel-Fattah is one of my favorites.

I read too many tragic, depressing things, but I just finished Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein recently and it was amazing. Now I'm reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    I need new books to read. Just finished up re-reading what I have of the Sword of Truth series.

Any suggestions? I'll give anything a try.
  • I recently read Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick, which was interesting in the way it conceptualised the underground organisation(s). Currently, though, I'm back into the tried and tested Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. Great books and great, carefree writing. Really love O'Brien's quaint style, and the way it adds to the illustration of naval life during the Napoleonic wars.

• Daslin said:
    I need new books to read. Just finished up re-reading what I have of the Sword of Truth series.

American Sniper by Chris Kyle
  • Finished Ender's Game a week before the movie came out, working on Ender in Exile now. Good stuff, thoroughly pleased.
  • Jacen said:
    Finished Ender's Game a week before the movie came out, working on Ender in Exile now. Good stuff, thoroughly pleased.
    Finished Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide as well?

• Trey said:
    Jacen said:
    Finished Ender's Game a week before the movie came out, working on Ender in Exile now. Good stuff, thoroughly pleased.
    Finished Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide as well?
    No, I did a quick google while I was in BAM and whatever site I stumbled on recommended EiE as the next one to read. If you know where a good list of a recommended reading order is, lemme know, as I'm sure I'll be continuing on with the saga.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Daslin said:

American Sniper by Chris Kyle
    Don't know if you were serious or not, but.. Just read the Prologue... I like it. He's not too big-headed, he seems like he was incredibly intelligent. Rest his soul, though. My pops tried to get me to read this a while back. Guess I'll actually give it a go.
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    "The Way of Chuang Tzu" by Thomas Merton, but I'm learning nothing.
    Someone recommended the Kushiel Legacy books to me, so I bought the first one on my Kindle and started reading it. Not quite my usual fare...but not as graphic as some of the other things I've read, at least thus far.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    i'm being boring and reading my university syllabi >.> 700 pages of pure political philosophy ftw?
    ...This should be in ooc rants, shouldn't it?
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• AitoxAitox South Africa
    Started with "Daughter of the Empire" by Raymond E. Feist and and Janny Wurts. Loving it so far.