What are you reading?

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I suppose thats fair enough. I've only read Love in the Times of Cholera, Chronicle of a Death Foretold, and the aforementioned One Hundred Years of Solitude. 

Of the three the one that definitely stuck with me the most was the last one. Haven't really gotten to read any of his other works.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• The Great Ordeal by R. Scott Bakker just came out and I've been devouring it. If anyone is looking for a series to scratch that LotR epic fantasy itch, highly recommend his work.
  • Oh hey look we have a thread to talk about books.

• Rereading the Abhorsen trilogy so I can read Clariel.
  • Currently I'm in the middle of this riveting tale:

20411D - Administering Windows Server® 2012

I here there is a fantastic twist at the end...
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
    I am reading Janson's History of Art. Its pretty interesting.
    Also reading A Head Full of Ghosts on the side.

Read the first book of the Abhorsen trilogy a while ago. Was pretty disappointed...

• It's one of my favorites, but it is YA and poorly edited at that (something I'm only catching now reading it as an adult). Definitely not perfect. But I love the world building.
  • I'd like to find something that isn't too gritty.  I can do gritty sometimes, and some very, very good stories have a lot of that.  But it kind of drains me to read that stuff no matter how great it is.  

That said, and this sounds sort of horrible and oh so snobby, I am also the kind of reader who once read the first page of an Anne Rice novel when those were all the rage, and walked over and threw it away.  I don't know if I'd be that quick to judge today - although I am pretty sure I made the right decision.  I mean, let's not get carried away though.  I also binge watched The Jersey Shore.  And Hoarders.  No regrets.

For now, I'd like something that is great fun to read and very well done.  That I haven't read.  The good news is I used to gobble up books like crazy.  But I've barely read anything that wasn't a textbook or assigned literature (some were very good) in the past 15 or so years.  At least?  Yes, I did manage to at least read Harry Potter, but only because someone was totally exasperated that I hadn't read it and sent me home with the first one - which I finally picked up during a several day typhoon, and was then very, very sorry that I just had the one book.
  • The Necronomicon - Collection of short stories by H.P. Lovecraft
    edited November 2016
    @Kiskan Which Anne Rice novel was it? Interview with a Vampire and The Vampire Lestat are rather decent, or at least I rather enjoyed them. Don't really care much for the rest, though.

• Shirszae said:
    @Kiskan Which Anne Rice novel was it? Interview with a Vampire and The Vampire Lestat are rather decent, or at least I rather enjoyed them. Don't really care much for the rest, though.
    Hrm.  It was quite a long time ago.  I just read the most terrible openings I could find on Amazon.  It feel like it might have been The Vampire Lestat (sorry!) out of what I picked through but I am not totally sure.
    Just finished reading A Gathering of Shadows, the second book in the Shades of Magic series. Felt a bit meh about it, which is a shame.  Now reading The Fifth Season, which is already shaping to be far more interesting.

• I finished The Unbroken Line of the Moon - it's a Viking historical fantasy in translation. It was really good, except that the main characters were basically Mary Sues, but I can stomach that if the writing and worldbuilding is decent. Sadly the rest of the series hasn't been translated yet.

I'm currently reading The Mindful Way through Depression and trying to decide what fiction to read next.
  • I am rereading Terry Pratchett's Small Gods.

My favorite book from this year has been The Saber-Tooth Curriculum by J. Abner Peddiwell (a pseudonym, luckily for him) which is my #1 recommendation for anyone in the field of education or who wants to know what the problem is with the way we educate students (and that we've known the problem since 1939).
  • I re-read the What If? book and Thing Explainer by Randall Munroe this week, and my ribs still hurt from laughing so much :(
  • VanVan
    edited December 2016
    I'm reading Stephen King's The Shining.  Currently also stuck somewhere in Neil Gaiman's & TERRY PRATCHETT'S Good Omens.  I'm not much of a reader, and when I do read, I usually take months to actually finish something.

• Van said:
    I'm reading Stephen King's The Shining.  Currently also stuck somewhere in Neil Gaiman's Good Omens.  I'm not much of a reader, and when I do read, I usually take months to actually finish something.
    *cough* and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens.

Sorry to be "that guy" but I love my Pratchett.
  • I recently finished Hyperion and its sequel, The Fall of Hyperion. If you like sci-fi at all, or even if you don't, I highly reccommned them.

Something about the consuming imagery within the two books mentioned above conjured memories of a time long ago when I was reading Patricia Mckillip's Riddle-Master trilogy... so now, I am rereading The Prince of Hed.

If you have not read this trilogy, read it!
  • edited December 2016
    The Magicians - Lev Grossman,
    It was great before the horrible show came out, and it is still great.

MKO's Fayreon.  LUA greenhorn. gods and Monsters.

Penned by my hand ~ Fabulous Magical supervillian

Just finished reading The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin and all I can say is... Wow. I can't honestly overstate how much I enjoyed it. It felt, perhaps warrantedly, perhaps unwarrantedly, atypical in a lot of ways, but fuck, just do yourselves a favour and go read it

• NK Jemisin is amazing.
  • Iff said:
    I recently finished Hyperion and its sequel, The Fall of Hyperion. If you like sci-fi at all, or even if you don't, I highly reccommned them.

Something about the consuming imagery within the two books mentioned above conjured memories of a time long ago when I was reading Patricia Mckillip's Riddle-Master trilogy... so now, I am rereading The Prince of Hed.

If you have not read this trilogy, read it!

The Hyperion books are AMAZING, I love them so much.  Unfortunately, I then picked up a copy of Flashback which... I dunno, I spent the first third assuming was some kind of satire, but stopped reading half way through (and I never stop reading half-way through).  It was, without question, the worst, meanest, nastiest, most racist, bigoted piece of trash I have ever had the misfortune to read, and it has retrospectively ruined my appreciation of the Hyperion books.  It literally opens with the rape of a mentally disabled girl by a Hispanic gang - whose race is constantly emphasized as central to their criminal natures.  Meanwhile, somehow the economy has collapsed - literally and explicitly because of Obamacare, and ethnic minorities run rampant.  At the same time, everyone in America is now obliged to pray to Allah because of... reasons?  Benghazi possibly?

It's like Rush Limbaugh decided to crack out a sci-fi novel but with extra racism.

I couldn't believe it got published.  I shredded it, and desperately regretted funding what is obviously a deeply unpleasant individual.

• @Shirszae reminded me I like to read u_u went out and bought The Fifth Season, partner read it a bit in store and decided she wanted it first. In the mean times, going to flip through Terry Prachett's 'The Truth' ~
  • The Art of War, because @Aegis.

Haven't read this since my time in the Marines. Such good lessons. Applies to real life, too.

• Bann said:
    The Art of War, because @Aegis.

Haven't read this since my time in the Marines. Such good lessons. Applies to real life, too.
    Ironically, thought of very poorly in China. At least according to my Chinese wife.
  • Gardens of the Sun by Paul McAuley. It's hard sci-fi set in our solar system in the 23rd century. Every now and then there'll be a casual digression into how the geographic formation of a planet resulted in ammonia lakes or mountain ranges, or talking about the diets or living conditions or chemistry or engineering of people who live in habitats on a moon of Neptune. Crazy, effortless world-building, never too overwhelming with scholastic detail, never going on for too long. The characters are interesting too, each with a different agenda in the wake of a great war. Apparently it's a sequel to The Quiet War, which I haven't read and didn't realise, because the way it's written incorporating references to earlier events is seamless.
  • Vallie said:
    @Shirszae reminded me I like to read u_u went out and bought The Fifth Season, partner read it a bit in store and decided she wanted it first. In the mean times, going to flip through Terry Prachett's 'The Truth' ~
    Under-appreciate novel, in my opinion! Mr. Pin and Mr. Tulip are a couple of my favorite Pratchett characters. "I don't -ing swear!" is an excellent quote. 
  • @Liyane - Totally curious. Any idea why??