• The Lies of Locke Lamora
    Red Seas under Red Skies
    The Republic of Thieves

aka

The Gentleman Bastards

Such a great series. Can't wait for the fourth book. x.x
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Discworld is always worth a read!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Alcinae said:

Is the Discworld series worth a read?

Yes. Definitely yes.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I have not read it, but I only ever hear good things
  • Naah said:
    The Lies of Locke Lamora
    Red Seas under Red Skies
    The Republic of Thieves

aka

The Gentleman Bastards

Such a great series. Can't wait for the fourth book. x.x
    The prettiest girl in Victoria gave me a copy of The Lies of Locke Lamora last week and it's just so good. Finished it in a day.
  • Those of you who like The Gentleman Bastard series should check out AMONG THIEVES by Douglas Hulick.

While I am here I might as well leave a few recommendations behind in no particular order:

Noir fans : SOMETHING MORE THAN NIGHT by Ian Tregillis

Snarky vampire UF fans : GENERATION V by M.L. Bren

Kick ass female protag UF (no vampires or werewolves) fans : BLACKBIRDS by Chuck Wendig

Mind bending sci-fi : ANCILLARY JUSTICE by Ann Leckie

Post apoc with a Fallout feel : THREE by Jay Posey

Super dark fantasy post apoc with an anti-hero protag : PRINCE OF THORNS by Mark Lawrence

Post magic apoc with a kick ass female protag and lots of were-things : MAGIC BITES by Ilona Andrews

Magic and gunpowder (NOT steampunk) fantasy : PROMISE OF BLOOD by Brian McClellan

Alt WW2 history with crazy science fighting world breaking warlocks : BITTER SEEDS by Ian Tregillis

Post apoc YA with killer viruses and genetic engineering : PARTIALS by Dan Wells

Modern YA where the main character is a sociopath : I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER by Dan Wells

Fantasy YA with a female protag who is a thief and the last follower of a god : THIEF'S COVENANT by Ari Marmell

Mind bending fantasy where bankruptcy law is used by lawyer necromancers to steal the power of gods : THREE PARTS DEAD by Max Gladstone

Near future super gritty war fiction from the point of view of an embedded journalist : GERMLINE by T.C. McCarthy

Adventure fantasy with blood magic and an amazing mountain setting : THE WHITEFIRE CROSSING by Courtney Schafer

Dark fantasy drawing from real world religions (but NOT a religious book) for its mythology : MISERERE by Teresa Frohock

Near future sci-fi for anyone who loves the 80s and video games : READY PLAYER ONE by Ernest Cline

• OceanaOceana North Sea
    "Time's Echo" by Pamela Hartshorne in the French version: "L'écho de ton souvenir". Spooky, mysterious, two different time periods (16th century and modern).... I'm intrigued.
  • I like re-reading A Boy's Will (Robert Frost) fairly often, and I've been recording myself reading it out loud just for myself, to work on diction and inflection in reading.  Besides that, Eugene Onegin (Alexander Pushkin), comparing between the original and an English translation, though my lack of Russian fluency makes it an incredibly slow endeavor.
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Raleigh, North Carolina
    Various DC and Marvel graphic novels as well as Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk and eventually I'll start the fourth Dexter book, Dexter by Design.
  • Berenene said:
    Anedhel said:
    Hogfather, by Terry Pratchett! Can't feel bad after reading that.
    My favourite quotes from that book:
    "Real children don't go hoppity-skip unless they are on drugs."

She'd become a governess. It was one of the few jobs a known lady could do. And she'd taken to it well. She'd sworn that if she did indeed ever find herself dancing on rooftops with chimney sweeps she'd beat herself to death with her own umbrella.

I just finished Thud! The City Watch arc is now my favorite from the series! (I'm about halfway through Thief of Time now.)

Also, I don't care what anyone has said; Rincewind is interesting too. D:
  • Thud! is the best book, in the history of ever.
  • AgriasAgrias Wisconsin
    I've recently (finally) finished the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson.

For those unware, Jordan died before the series was finished, and it was taken up by Sanderson.

I had a really engaging conversation with @Jack of all people about it, and he made an excellent synopsis:

Jordan makes a better world, but Sanderson is the better storyteller.

Okay, personal thoughts; Jordan's writing style is unforgivably descriptive. There are entire paragraphs dedicated to describing each character and their wardrobes and hairstyles, down to the thread. While normally I love descriptive writing, it is to a huge extreme with Jordan, but the characters are incredibly engaging and lovable.  (Think Arya Stark in Game of Thrones books, only -more- lovable.)  It starts off slow, but the action and intrigue build up for genuine plot surprises and phenomenal twists. When I first picked it up, I thought it was just going to be one of those terrible random fantasy novels that my dad likes to read.  Yeah, definitely not.  It's a very unique world to the scope and spectrum of Tolkien.  Definitely worth a read if you haven't yet.  (Just give it time because there are about 14 books that comprise the series, and each one is a novel.)
  • Well, I've finished the books that I was currently reading, am taking a short break on books atm, so I can clear out some of the topics on my "Read Later" list on the TVTropes app...actually, I don't think I'll be reading books for a little while...help
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • Agrias said:
    I've recently (finally) finished the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson.

For those unware, Jordan died before the series was finished, and it was taken up by Sanderson.

I had a really engaging conversation with @Jack of all people about it, and he made an excellent synopsis:

Jordan makes a better world, but Sanderson is the better storyteller.

Okay, personal thoughts; Jordan's writing style is unforgivably descriptive. There are entire paragraphs dedicated to describing each character and their wardrobes and hairstyles, down to the thread. While normally I love descriptive writing, it is to a huge extreme with Jordan, but the characters are incredibly engaging and lovable.  (Think Arya Stark in Game of Thrones books, only -more- lovable.)  It starts off slow, but the action and intrigue build up for genuine plot surprises and phenomenal twists. When I first picked it up, I thought it was just going to be one of those terrible random fantasy novels that my dad likes to read.  Yeah, definitely not.  It's a very unique world to the scope and spectrum of Tolkien.  Definitely worth a read if you haven't yet.  (Just give it time because there are about 14 books that comprise the series, and each one is a novel.)
    I have to agree with you. I'm not finished the series yet, I think the most recent one I finished was a crown of swords.  I will say that I despise Mat.  I don't know what it is, it might be how he seems to think that everything that happens is somehow out to make his life a misery, just makes me want to punch him in the face.
  • Have to disagree with the Wheel of Time characters being likeable or interesting. Some of the supporting characters were fine, but the core characters were generally pretty one-dimensional, with that dimension usually being annoying and whiny. Though that impression is surely at least partly due to having read the series over the course of 20 years, which is a long time to put up with close friends' personality quirks, let alone those of characters in fantasy novels. As for Sanderson vs Jordan, I thought Sanderson generally did fine in finishing out the series, and certainly was better on the pacing. The one thing that really bugged me about the last few was that it felt like in an effort to show that he was really staying true to Jordan's work, Sanderson overplayed some of the stuff that really annoyed me in the earlier ones, like the women constantly complaining about the men being idiots and the men constantly complaining about the women being incomprehensible. I'd hoped that one of the upsides to a different author finishing the series up would be that he might leave some of that stuff behind, but instead he seemed to double down on it, which ended up being really distracting for me.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Have any of you read the book called "Cloud Atlas"? I am debating whether reading the book or watching the movie, and wanted some opinions.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I hear the movie was fantastic, as well as the book. Unfortunately I've yet to experience either of them, so that's just hearsay.

• Shirszae said:
    Have any of you read the book called "Cloud Atlas"? I am debating whether reading the book or watching the movie, and wanted some opinions.

I wanted to see the movie, but haven't and found out about the book via the movie.  I have heard that the way the book is written is kinds weird and can be hard to read, but that's hearsay too.

• If you like Wheel of Time or Game of Thrones, I really suggest Sanderson's Stormlight Archives series. Only two books so far, but they're really fantastic. A Way of Kings is the first, and only 3 bucks for the Kindle version!

• Berenene said:
    Shirszae said:

I wanted to see the movie, but haven't and found out about the book via the movie.  I have heard that the way the book is written is kinds weird and can be hard to read, but that's hearsay too.

I've seen the movie, haven't read the book. Its a neat storyline, but yeah, its very confusing. The basic idea is that you're constantly watching 6 different stories during 6 very separated timelines, with some common factor linking any one story to its chronological predecessor, and another factor linking the story to its successor.

• Jacen said:
    Berenene said:
    Shirszae said:

I've seen the movie, haven't read the book. Its a neat storyline, but yeah, its very confusing. The basic idea is that you're constantly watching 6 different stories during 6 very separated timelines, with some common factor linking any one story to its chronological predecessor, and another factor linking the story to its successor.

Yeah, that's what I've heard.  Although, I would imagine that if you can manage to keep your head about you during the story, then the next one you should pick up and read should be the House of Leaves lol

• OceanaOceana North Sea

Finished "Fleur de tonnerre" by Jean Teulé, now reading Umberto Eco's Le cimetière de Prague (The Prague Cemetary).

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!

"Kritik der reinen Vernunft" by Immanuel Kant

Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Tvtropes, thanks to the damn app on my phone and the ability to set pages to "read later"

• Just started "The Dancers at the End of Time" by Michael Moorcock at the recommendation of a friend and I have to say, it's pretty good so far.

• OceanaOceana North Sea

Just finished Dan Brown's Deception Point. More Nereian than I expected.

• Started Doctor Sleep.

Why do I read Stephen King before I go to  bed.

The only one that didn't give me nightmares was Wind Through The Keyhole.

Ka is a wheel.<3

• Just (re)finished Thief of Time. Terry Pratchett writes so purdy.

• my girlfriend is really into this fan fic crossover of his dark materials series and welcome to nightvale, so I decided to read the golden compass.

• Just finished A Wise Man's Fear, going back into all the technical books I've been putting off.