What character class do you enjoy most?

What character class or archetype do you tend to gravitate towards in games? Do you generally play as rogues or heavily armored warriors? Maybe you find that you always choose healers or mages as your first choice in MMOs or other games that have different classes?

I find that I tend play as snipers or long-range DPS characters first, though I prefer mages over archers and gun-using classes over mages. I've been trying to break from this as I would like to play as a tank class like a warrior, but I still tend to fall back to those gun-wielding or magic-using classes when a new game is released. I like stealth classes as well, but they rely on too many tricks for me to really enjoy them.

Comments

• Support/healer... almost always. I honestly would have started out as a Priest if Corinth hadn't told me to go Paladin when I first made Trilli. Only time I wasn't a healer type was when I played Guild Wars (the ORIGINAL!) and I had a necromancer/monk... mmm minions
    meh

• Pretty much always the mage class, even in Achaea.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    assassin

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Almost always a mage type or healer.

Achaea's the only place that I broke form and went for a knight class instead.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    edited April 2013
    I tend to go between dexterity/thief/assassin/archer types to warrior/knight types, hate playing magic based characters.

Sidenote: Don't leave me @Wilhelmina! :(
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    by assassin, i meant assassin slash tank.  And by that I mean apostate/infernal.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • I tend to like magic users in graphical MMOs because they usually have the gnarliest looking visuals, archers/rangers in non-roleplaying MUDs 'cause they're easy to hunt with, and healers/merchants in roleplaying MUDs.

Druid all the way in WoW because I can be a bear.
  • Vayne said:
    I tend to go between dexterity/thief/assassin/archer types to warrior/knight types, hate playing magic based characters.
    Same, but excluding the "knight" variety of warrior. I really can't play knights. Some kind of fighter/thief combo tends to be my favourite. Ranger-type classes are sort of cool too.

I do however sometimes gravitate towards different things if the game in question provides more variety in another type of class. I like playing mage/sorcerer types in DnD settings (like Baldur's Gate stuff) despite not really liking the mage/sorcerer archetype overly much, simply because magic is so versatile and fun there compared to melee.
  • rogue/assassin archetype

• Dark magic-users or roguish types.
  • Assassin/warlock. Any class that is good at disabling and poisoning, really. A screen full of numbers is far more satisfying than one or two big numbers every six seconds.

• Anything ranged, so usually mages and hunters.
  • I'm not good at simply having a favourite of something, so I have to give a more complicated answer (if I did have a favourite type of class though, it would probably be some sort of "dancer" class (preferably a melee fighter with a style of combat that mostly involves dancing, but a "support"-style class would work too), but it's rare to find a game that has a class like that at all, let alone a good game that has the class done well).

It greatly depends on the game. For example, I would love to play an archer, but mechanically they tend to be annoying classes to play (in MMOs at least), so I usually don't. Some sort of offensive melee fighter is often my default choice for games that I'm not very familiar with, since they tend to be simpler to play while I learn my way around. Also, I generally prefer single-player games, or MMOs that can mostly be played solo, so I don't really have any favourite role in a party, and I prefer classes that don't rely too much on others, which rules out healers/support classes in a lot of games.

If the gameplay of each class is similar enough (meaning classes are more about your fighting style, not your role in a party or something), it often depends on the weapons used. In general: bows > polearms > non-magic staves > knives/daggers > guns > unarmed martial arts > swords/hammers/axes/maces > whips > crossbows. Where magic fits in that list varies a lot between games.

In terms of D&D classes, I prefer psionic classes (especially soulknife, even if it isn't very good mechanically and doesn't actually use psionic powers), then cleric, then Tome of Battle melee classes.

In terms of Final Fantasy classes (because it's also something that a lot of people are familiar with and has a lot of classes), I prefer blue mages, dragoons, and thieves.
  • I like being the tank of classes like the warrior or barbarian but sometimes I enjoy being a Rogue/Assassin.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    There is absolutely no rationale for it at all, but I dislike most tank/sword classes. I have no idea why, I just have some kind of unexplainable aversion to them.

Thus, my first choices usually end up being some type of magic class because I like setting things on fire. Then sometimes I play rogue/thief too, because I fell in love with it while playing Dragon Age and it's been my second favourite ever since.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

Jurixe said:
    There is absolutely no rationale for it at all, but I dislike most tank/sword classes. I have no idea why, I just have some kind of unexplainable aversion to them.

Thus, my first choices usually end up being some type of magic class because I like setting things on fire. Then sometimes I play rogue/thief too, because I fell in love with it while playing Dragon Age and it's been my second favourite ever since.
    It is because you are too tiny and adorable to fit into a suit of armor.
  • edited April 2013
    chaotic neutral/neutral neutral.  

I have the same unexplainable aversion as @Jurixe except for me it is towards healer/spellcaster/sparkles and stuff flying out of my fingers or staff classes.  For me, my char has to have a physical weapon or else I just feel silly. 

I'm not a fan of support classes either. But I think this is more because by being a support class, I need to support something.  And that means I need a cause/point of view/something to believe in and I am really bad at being aligned.  

So I tend to lean to rogue. But I don't like being stealthy/assassiny.  That leaves me with either really weird multiclass combinations or well.. bard. XD

Edit: Monk is fun as well.
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • 'dexterity' types. Rogue, assassin, ranger, thief, etc.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    In most games I usually go for support/buffer. I actually enjoy more (and am usually better) at healing than at fighting directly. Really, this game is probably the only mmo I have ever played in which I don't play some kind of priest. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

Best class if you get a nice set of meseta mechguns...
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    Always DEX and INT based, for me. In D&D, though, I found that Cleric was my favourite spellcasting class: freedom to wear armour and cast mad spells.
  • either a healer or archer.

although I played a necromancer in D&D

• KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited April 2013
    Something that gets in close, and uses blades. :) I like my swords and daggers. Loving thief in guildwars 2 right now, and I really like infernal and blademaster in achaea.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    A heavily armed warrior who seems to have a strange lust for daggers/long knives. Like, think Diablo 2 barbarian whirlwinding with daggers that do four bajillion damage.

Other than that, I like having a character who's a bit roguish, ranger mostly, who can repair his own equipment.
  • I like the magic swordsman archetype, slinging spells with one hand, dishing out steel with the other.

• YueYue
    edited April 2013
    D&D Cleric OP :)

in most games I prefer dex based characters (meaning high hit-rate, high dodge, high agility/movement speed, or stealth based characters, including but not limited to rogue, thief, assassin, ranger, monk/knight(speed spec), Blademaster (from Achaea)) or damage-over-time/(de)buff/affliction/pet-oriented magic type classes like World of Warcraft's Warlock class or the Enchanter class from Realms of Kaos or Apostates/Occultists from Achaea. I generally favor range of attack over raw damage output and maneuverability/utility over health/armor. This extends to first person shooters like Rainbow Six (Vegas1/2) where mobility is preferred over armour and DOTA clones like League of Legends where I specialize in champs with extreme range or extreme mobility (Riven, Wukong, Ashe, Ezreal, Lux, Zed, etc.) Wukong built for AD/CDR with a warmog's or something late game is about the 'tankiest' class I play.

Dark Souls naked chargen is the only way for Yue to play!
  • Assassin/rogue, chaotic neutral.
    I'll probably be shifting over to Starmourn, seeya there!
    discord: aciidwire#5240
    Please check out my new art page!

• Agree with @yue, DnD Clerics are amazingly overpowered. Especially if they are evil and crossclass with a monk.

Either way, I'm typically a healer/tank/support.

Was shaman in wow when the game was relevant, White mage in FFXI, and in dragon's dogma I am currently a Mystic Knight.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Aepas said:
    Either way, I'm typically a healer/tank/support.
    You realize that nearly every class falls into one of those three categories, right? :D