Earrings of Sinope

I can already tell that this is going to be flamed the hell away, but worth a shot.  As it is, earrings are the most abused artefact in the game aside from -maybe- veils.  Just make it so someone can only have -one- EoS instead of the half dozen that they do now.  Honestly.

an earring of Sinope                    N/A
  an inlaid ebony pipe                    a long, elegant ebony pipe
  a silver stocking                       N/A
  an ornately carved ivory pipe           N/A
  an ebony pegasus                        an alabaster pegasus
  a silver tuning fork                    N/A
  a luxurious black top hat               N/A
 a buckawn's amulet                      N/A
  an ornately carved ivory pipe           N/A
  a black iron shield with jade inlay     a Shield of Absorption
  a tainted pair of skeletal wings        a pair of eagle's wings
  a blackened recurve bow of smooth wood  a ranger's bow
  a ring of flying                        N/A

Honestly.  This is just bloody ridiculous and excessive.  It essentially guarantees that they can't be fought unless they want to, and they can attack with impunity so long as they're smart and have a single other person online.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    That's a poor "fix" to the problem.

If you think earrings are overpowered in functionality, then you should suggest a nerf to that functionality. You're recommending a limitation on the availability of the skill, which isn't something I agree with. 

• Uh, we die even if we have earrings.
  • Whatever.  Point is, earrings are stupid as hell and just exist as a money-maker and game screwer.  And the flavor text is stupid as all getout, especially since most people who use them have 5+.
  • Thanks for choosing my artifact list to make an example out of.

I don't have the most in the game. :)

• I'd feel much better if it was something like journaling or writing a letter.  Can't use it without being in <%> of max HP.  That'd be -much- better than just a lolpoof like it is right now.
  • edited April 2013
    My mentor is an Achaea purist and he went on a verbal rampage when I said Earrings should be usable by anybody. (yes, he takes it that seriously.) He stopped talking to me for like 6 rl months when Lord Phaestus told me Earrings are okay to use in the matter I described, when I asked Him.

My mentor's beef? He thinks Earrings of Sinope should only be shared by people that have reason to love each other. Like if you're father and son, or married to the other person. He thinks it should be an RP-only artefact.

I've heard it mentioned that the literal interpretation of Earring ownership is 1/2 of Ashtan "being in love" with the other half. You gotta admit, they sorta have a point.

I think maybe the Earrings' concept should be kept, but the blurb in HELP ARTEFACTS OVERVIEW and the line when they are being used should be changed. Earrings have incredible combat utility, but they are simply not being used just by people in love.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Earrings are pretty ridiculous, especially if you don't own any then it is understandably frustrating that people are buying an escape ability way better than any class skill.

1.  By passes room hindrances, piety, gravehands, iced floors, peels, tentacles, wildgrowth, homunculus torso, silence (stops raido and wings)
    2.  Instant, there's no wind up
    3.  1s eq cost (without quick wit and diadem)
    4.  Ignores monoliths

And that's just for escaping it can also be used for ganks.

Adding a 1 second wind up would solve a lot of the issues of people spamming it on burst to get away.  

Limiting them to say 2 would be interesting.  One would really be picky about picking an earring partner then.
  • Kyrra said:
    I'm alright with loving half of Ashtan. Have you seen the warriors there? So damn hot.
    So just how many earrings does Kyrra own?

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Katzchen said:
    Kyrra said:
    I'm alright with loving half of Ashtan. Have you seen the warriors there? So damn hot.
    More to the point, how many is she wearing through her nowhere?
  • Katzchen said:
    Kyrra said:
    All of them? :)
  • Make earrings respect monoliths, or at least make monos slow them down to times comparable to a prism?
  • Kyrra said:
    Would you feel better if I gave you 800cr for earrings too?
    I know I would.

Thread sux tho.

• Earrings
    Veils
    Theft
    RP vs Combat
    Cain's Laptop

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what these things have in common?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    lolz and rage?
  • Sylvance said:
    Earrings
    Veils
    Theft
    RP vs Combat
    Cain's Laptop

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what these things have in common?
    In case anyone else wants to guess too, I'll add another item to the category, which might help:

Mhaldor vs Forestrals
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    winning, losing, rage, lolz, and just plain whatthefuckery
  • Bring on the unbound credit refunds. Gonna get me dat veil.

• Dunn said:
    Bring on the unbound credit refunds. Gonna get me dat veil.
    How would that help? You said you own none of them!

• Katzchen said:
    Dunn said:
    Bring on the unbound credit refunds. Gonna get me dat veil.
    How would that help? You said you own none of them!
    Hence the unbound, he probably split some of the cost of the earrings with the owners.
  • What the artichoke said. Going halvsies is very common.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    It is? I fully own the sets I have :/
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Okay. In our circle of raiders, going halvsies is very common. 

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Like splitting a 2bd/2br apartment, the split should be a little different based on who gets the master bedroom.  I think 75/25 is a fair split so you aren't completely boned if the earring owning partner goes dormant.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Makes sense.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Dunn said:
    What the artichoke said. Going halvsies is very common.
    Ah. You should have said you didn't own any, but paid for half of some of them then. :P

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    He still doesn't own them and it's only decency to give people back anything if they get traded in.

I paid half for my first pair of earrings with Khairt forever ago, and he traded them in while I was dormant. Which is fair since I was gone for five years and he didn't think I was coming back at all. I never saw my half back or anything from that trade in though.