SOA or MINISKILLS

SOA or MINISKILLS

In order to become more proficient in 1vs1 combat

would SOA or Trans (Constitution/Thermology/Frost/Antidotes/ and Galvanism)

have more noticeable benefits in combat.

I understand SOA uses blunt/cutting and the MINISKILLS use magic based

defenses but I would still like informative input

Thanks!

Comments

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I thought you were @Silas.

Anyways, SoA adds cutting/blunt, but also has a chance to negate all damage from an attack.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • edited April 2013
    Except for finishers that can't be blocked by SoA, SoA is better than miniskills on average (15% reduction, on top of the 20/20 armour). Miniskills will be more predictable and reliable, though, reducing damage on every attack rather than a 15% chance of blocking all the damage.

I'd say SoA is better, but it is somewhat of a gamble. The SoA might not activate at all when you need it to.

SoA is also cheaper, when you consider that covering every damage type requires 7 miniskills plus avoidance.
  • EldEld
    edited April 2013
    Nosrac said:

SOA or MINISKILLS

Thanks!

SOA acts as 20/20 armor and also has a chance (15% I think?) to completely negate the damage from any attack (not sure if that's specifically cutting/blunt attacks or any). Miniskills each offer around 12.5% resistance to a particular type of damage (magic/fire/cold/electric/poison/psychic/asphyxiation for constitution/thermology/frost/galvanism/antidotes/philosophy/fitness, respectively). If you're a class that can wield a shield and attack while doing so, I suspect that the SoA will be more noticeable.
  • Do note that SoAs only blocks damage from physical attacks. Don't think that includes things like staffcast, envenomed arrows and asphyxiation.
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    Does trans antidotes give a chance to shrug a venom, just reduce damage taken from things like envenomed arrows, or both?
  • Just reduces damage from things like sumac/camus, envenomed arrows, green dragon breath.
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    Thanks Sena. Also, to the OP: definitely an SoA. It is probably my favourite artefact, and I won't ever change to a class that can't use it.
  • Nizaris said:
    Does trans antidotes give a chance to shrug a venom, just reduce damage taken from things like envenomed arrows, or both?

Just damage reduction from envenomed arrows. 
    Nosrac said:

SOA or MINISKILLS

Thanks!

Make sure your class is compatible with the SoA insofar as that you can hunt or pvp properly with SoA. Classes like Magi, Shaman, Jester can wield an SoA and still be fully capable of fighting while wielding it, while classes like Monk and Knight will not be able to use their full tekura combo or doubleslash, respectively while wielding it, while blademasters are unable to use the SoA outright.

• I put off getting a SoA for so long, even going so far as to get a credit pet first, and I honestly think I should have listened to advice and gotten the SoA first. It's by far the best artefact I own and had I known better, I would have gotten one when I first started.

• I'm a Knight (though also a Dragon), and I still think my Shield of Absorption is one of the best artefacts I own. Admittedly I did miniskills way before I bought it.

It honestly depends what you're struggling with. If you have problems with classes that use a specific (non-physical) damage type, then picking up the miniskill(s) that will help with that would be the best investment. If you're struggling with physical damage then the SoA is obviously the best. Fitness for the asphyxiation damage reduction is always a good choice, since it helps against kai choke. If you don't really struggle with anything damage-wise, then the SoA would also probably be the best choice.
  • Cool thing about miniskills is that you can't lose them in any way. Even if you make the mistake of trading in artefacts including the SoA someday (like I did long ago), your miniskills will remain.
  • I agree with @Drauka about the miniskills, I haven't had the pleasure if using a SoA (that's probably because im a blademaster...) but you would need buy credits to get it while learn miniskills are free.

• Miniskills aren't free. A Shield of Absorption is 500 credits, while each miniskill (there are seven resistance miniskills in total) is ~115 credits.
  • Indeed, very much paid for miniskills with cash money :)
  • Miniskills are only free if you have iron elite, and nothing else to spend the lessons on... nearly transed antidotes from that.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    They are free for grove users too.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kyrra said:
    Huh?
  • Eld said:
    Kyrra said:
    Huh?
    Harvest hive, gives a few lessons a day in a random skill.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Eld said:
    Kyrra said:
    Huh?

There's a small chance for random skill increases when using harvest hive. My sylvan is almost half way trained across her miniskills, and riding is up to Capable too now, I think. Getting a honeycomb from the shop of wonders lets you harvest hive twice a month instead of just the one. It's slow but awesome.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."